HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum  letter 26316

ADHESIVE FOR TEFLON

A discussion started in 2003 and continuing through 2017 . . .

(2003)

Q. I would like to wrap the Teflon sheet on welded steel mesh 1"x1" which is in cone shape. Here contact surface between two is very less. Which adhesive can suit to adhere both teflon sheet & metal mesh?

Please suggest.

Santosh [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
tech officer - Hyderabad, India

(2003)

A. Dear Mr Santosh,

Teflon has very low coefficient of friction and it will not adhere properly. But you try some perfluorinated kerosenes to dissolve Teflon and try to bond with metal. An epoxy adhesive may be tried but adhesion cannot be ensured. If you can adopt sintering technique, you may get some good bonding.

Dinesh [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

(2004)

A. Normal Teflon sheet cannot be pasted using an adhesive. You get special Teflon sheets with one side etched. Only these sheets can be pasted properly. Contact your Teflon sheet supplier for that.

Gurvin Singh
Coatec India
Mohali, Punjab, India

(2004)

A. You may need to etch the Teflon first with a product such as this: http://www.actontech.com/fluor1.htm

I believe W. L. Gore & Assoc used to make a similar product called Tetra-Etch.

Stephen Crook
- Wilmington, Massachusetts

(2004)

A. Dear sir, treat the surface to be bonded with Metallic sodium in ammonia. Then use an epoxy to bond the surface with the substrate.

Dinesh
- Chennai, Tamilnadu, india

(2005)

Q. I need to bond a teflon sheet to a Carbon Steel pipeline slide support. The pipelines have already been erected and is on site. (Temperature - 45-50 °C, and humidity of 70-90%) Considering the hygroscopic nature of the modern fluoro etching agents, can these sodium based agents be used?

After etching, should the surface be cleaned before applying epoxy resins?

Kindly advise.

Haja Sheriff J, Chem. Engr.
Heavy Engineering Industries and Ship building Co. - Kuwait.

Q. I want to know which adhesive can be used for PTFE to steel bonding.

Das T K
shipyard - Mumbai, Maharastra, India

Q. I want to stick etched PTFE sheet (size 3 mm) onto MS plate. Please advise which adhesive I should use & what is the system to stick PTFE sheet. I also expect data like at what pressure I should put on PTFE sheet.

Thakkar Jayendrakumar
product designer - Baroda, Gujarat, INDIA

A. I am not sure there is a suitable adhesive for PTFE. I would look at spraying an emulsion of PTFE particles onto the surface and then sintering it. You may benefit from roughening the surface of the substrate by shot blasting it with alumina or something similar, and then spray and sinter the PTFE. This will improve its bonding.

A. Teflon is highly hydrophobic and nothing sticks to it. Plasma treatment would increase the surface energy and makes it less hydrophobic. Once this is done the adhesive would wet the surface of Teflon and bonding becomes easier.

H.R. Prabhakara
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

A. The only successful activation of PTFE that I have used is with a chemical called Tetra-Etch from Gore. The chemical is particularly nasty, should only ever be handled by professionals, used under active extraction with appropriate PPE to protect your skin. The material also needs to be stored in a fridge.

I will not even guarantee that this will be sufficient to activate the surface of the PTFE.

The next thing to do is to talk to the manufacturers of adhesives, they will be able to advise you of the most suitable adhesive to use for PTFE (if there is even such a thing), so try the likes of Huntsman, 3M, Cray Valley, Hexcel, etc., and see what they have.

Brian Terry
aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom

Teflon to rubber bonding

Q. How to fix teflon on rubber diaphragm/ sheet.

zafar ahmad kamal
- Lahore, Pakistan

A. PTFE Teflon plastic sheet can be bonded to rubber diaphragm and to steel substrate. Chemically Etch the Teflon that will carry the adhesive, wipe the steel or rubber with Acetone, wait until dry. Brush, spray or roll on a coat 3M Neoprene based rubber contact cement to each substrate, allow to dry 10-15 minutes or until tack. Lay up the rubber or Teflon; roll with a cylinder to escape the trapped air bubbles. Our company has been doing this for two generations.

Michael Bleazard
- Santa Fe Springs, California, USA

Q. I want an adhesive to stick Teflon with steel. What shall I use?

M Mallappan
trading - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Q. I am trying to bond etched PTFE to a nitrile elastomer with a polyester fabric between the PTFE and the elastomer. I am using Chemlok 250 primer with Chemlok 402 Adhesive and am having a lack of success. Is there a better adhesive to allow for better bonding.

Larry Conley
- Lawrence Massachusetts USA

Q. I need to bond teflon plastic (white) 2mm width and stainless steel sheet 1/16", what adhesive can I use?

Alfredo Corado
CS - Guatemala, Guatemala

A. I was responding to the forum inquirer about Teflon bonding adhesive. There is an adhesive which will bond to Teflon or steel or aluminum substrates and other substrates which are low energy surfaces. This special adhesive is called LEA16.

Sam Sarkar
- Raleigh, North Carolina, USA

January 21, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi, i am an (anti vibration rubber parts manufacturer). I make different kind of MOULDED rubber parts such as spare tyre, rubber expansion joints etc.
I basically use natural rubber to make a raw sheet then put it into mould to cure it & make a finish product.

I wanted to use teflon PTFE sheet to bond with rubber parts by putting the teflon sheet with raw rubber in to the mould for curing the rubber as well as giving shape to the teflon as per mould.

My problem is teflon is not bonding with rubber, kindly suggest any primer or adhesive or solution, which can be brushed before putting it into the mould with raw rubber for fantastic bonding result. I am waiting for an help eagerly.

Thanks & regards

avijit bhattacharya
rubber parts manufacturer - india

A. Hi avijit. As you see, we appended your inquiry to a thread where the same (or at least a similar) question was already asked and answered. Please request clarification on any prior answers if needed, or follow up with any particulars that make your situation different. Thanks!

A. As mentioned above both rubber & teflon are low energy surfaces - teflon more so. One way to increase surface energy is to expose these to either low pressure or atmospheric plasma of oxygen, air or argon. Plasma, in addition to cleaning the surface, can make it functional which improves wettability and bonding.

H.R. Prabhkara
Bangalore Plasmatek - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

A. Hi there, I got to know that there is a product called treated Teflon PTFE, it is actually treated by sodium, and after treatment its surface becomes active like metal. Thereafter if we use Lords Chemlok 220 solution on it and vulcanize with nitrile, natural or any synthetic rubber bonding result become fantastic.

Avijit bhattacharya
- New Delhi, India

Q. Hello friends,
please suggest solvent base adhesive to bond Teflon sheet 1.5 mm & SS plate 3mm Thickness.

These sheets are used on vessel sliding saddles and product should be heat resistant.

Currently my customer is using epoxy adhesive.

Awaiting for your reply and support.

nishant ramteke
- Mumbai, India

A. Hi cousin Nishant. Please comment on your successes or lack of success with the many suggestions already offered over the past 14 years. Are these sheets of Teflon "factory etched" on one side as suggested, or plasma treated? If not, have you tried the perfluorinated kerosene, Fluoro-etch, the twice recommended Tetra-Etch, or the metallic sodium in ammonia that was suggested to activate them?

For adhesive, did you try the Chemlok 220, or the rubber cement, or the LEA16 that have been suggested? Thanks.