What is CRCA steel?

+++

Q. What are the main differences (if any) between CRCA steel strips and Mild Steel strips? Is there any cost difference between the two.

VINAYAK BHAMARE
Purchase Officer - CHANDIGARH, CHANDIGARH, INDIA

++++

A. No difference.

Mehul Doshi
steel company - Mumbai

A. Hi, Vinayak. CRCA means "cold rolled close annealed". This means that after hot rolling and pickling, the steel is cold rolled to a reduced thickness (which makes it brittle and not too useful), which is then followed by annealing in a closed atmosphere of nitrogen or other non-oxidizing gases (which softens it back up while protecting it from oxidation).

Unfortunately the term "mild steel" doesn't mean much except "low carbon"; it could be hot rolled or cold rolled. Please flesh out the question with your own situation. Thanks.

Cold Rolling of Steel

Q. CAN CRCA GET RUSTED? IF YES, CAN RUSTING BE AVOIDED?

PRAVEEN KUMAR
EMPLOYEE - BANGALORE, India

July , 2008

A. Hi, Praveen. CRCA is steel and therefore highly prone to rusting. Often the rolling mill will apply oil after the annealing, and this will add at least a little short term rust resistance.

But the CRCA must be fabricated into something useful and then pretreated and a surface finish applied in reasonably short order.

Please provide context.

Q. What is the care one should take in transportation of CRCA sheets in rainy seasons?

Rajan Nagane
- Pune, Maharshtra, India

A. Dear sir, In rainy season it should be properly packed with polythene & hession cloth, to avoid contact from moisture.

Sushil Kumar
- New Delhi, India

Q. What is the difference between CR and CRCA sheet steel?

anand bhavangar
- simla himachal India

Hi, Anand. Could you please put your question into context for us because I am not understanding how your question is any different than Vinayak's question which was already answered. I'm not sure that anyone would actually offer cold rolled steel that has not been annealed. Thanks!

Q. What is the difference between CRCA, Sheet steel and SS (say SS316). Which one will be the best suitable for a cabinet to be installed in a refinery?

Subin Thomas
Engineer - Mumbai, India

A. Hi, Subin.

"CRCA" was explained on this page.

"Sheet steel" says that it's in the form of a sheet and that it's made of some kind of steel, but says nothing at all about the steel.

"316SS" is one particular composition of stainless steel. By stainless, we mean that it has other elements besides iron that improve it rust resistance and corrosion resistance. 316SS has about 18% chrome and 8% nickel and a bit of molybdenum, and perhaps some trace ingredients. It is rust resistant whereas CRCA is not, and is probably a good choice but an expensive one.

I wanted to know, given that the HR is stress relieved and more easily mouldable, why is it that for the more intricate shapes the CR (or CRCA) is preferred and while it would be hard to draw or mould in the cold state.

Suryanarayana

Suryanarayana Sastry
Product designer/Development Engineer - Pune, India

Q. Why is CRCA more compatible for deep draw process or critical forming process than HR if HR is softer than CRCA?

Avadhoot Pol
- Pune, India

Hi Sury; hi Avadhoot. Some people call cold rolled steel "cold finished steel", and I think that sort of implies the answer to your questions, i.e., that the steel has a finish (a given smoothness and accuracy) whereas hot rolled steel is "raw" and insufficiently finished for small and intricate shapes. That is my assumption only, for what it's worth :-)

Q. Sir,
In case of CRCA (cold rolled close annealed) steel sheets, is annealing a low-temperature process (such as stress relief annealing) or does it involve recrystalization?

Brajesh Sinha
- Bangalore, Karnataka, and India

Q. HOW THE WEIGHT IS CALCULATED OF HRCA/CRCA SHEET IS THERE ANY FORMULA?

MUKESH

MUKESH KULKARNI
LOGISTICS - PUNE, INDIA

A. Hi, Mukesh.

Simply multiply the length of the sheet by the width of the sheet by the thickness of the sheet to obtain its volume. Steel weighs about 0.284 pounds per cubic inch or 7.85 grams per cubic centimeter.

Q. Can anyone let me know the mechanical and chemical properties of CRCA and HRCA steel? or where do I find it? Is HRCA superior to CRCA in terms of strength or vice versa?

Vikram Dave
Healthcare - Bangalore, India

Q. What is the coating on CRCA sheets is it organic or inorganic? Frame the difference.

sudhakar putta
in quality control - Hyderabad, Andhra pradesh, India

A. Hi, Sudhakar

"Cold rolled close annealed" does not imply anything about what coatings may later be added. Please try to provide your situation and the context so we can try to help. Posting questions in the abstract opens so many ifs, ands, and buts, that it rarely leads to satisfactory responses, so most readers ignore overly broad questions. Thanks.

Q. What is difference between CRNO steel and CRCA?

Vivek Anand
- Delhi, India

A. Hi, Vivek.

CRNO = cold rolled non-oriented.

Readers! Keeping the question abstract makes it dull, uninformative, and uninteresting. And the result, as you can see from the responses to similar questions, is that nobody expands the discussion. Please describe your own situation that motivates the question, then readers may flesh out the answer in a way that is useful to you instead of just muttering to themselves: "look it up" and moving on :-) Thanks!

Q. Why pinchpass/skinpass is important for CRCA process?

Abhishek Roy
Marketing - Faridabad, India

Q. How to check annealing (Degree of annealing) in CRCA coil?

S. LAKSHMAN
oil - Chennai, India

A. Degree of Annealing can be known by measuring Hardness and also by microstructure.

C.Muthuswamy
- Rourkela, Odisha, India

Q. What is the meaning of Hi in 6 hi mill?

Saurabh Basarkar
- India

Q. WHAT IS THE ULTIMATE STRENGTH OF THE CRCA PIPES? PLEASE REPLY SOON I NEED IT URGENTLY FOR MY PROJECT WORK

HARISH PAI
STUDENT - HUBLI, KARNATAKA, INDIA

A. Hi, Harish.

This is information you must get from a steel handbook; you must never ever rely on the internet rumor mill for engineering work!

But it is unusual to be highly concerned about the ultimate strength of steel; the yield strength is the significant number for, say, 99% of all applications because once you reach the yield point, the structure acquires a permanent distortion that greatly limits its usefulness. You might want to know the ultimate strength if you were designing a rupture disk, I suppose. Good luck.

Q. What is the difference between CRCA and Skinpass sheet?
How can we identify whether the sheet is CRCA or Skinpass?

Ramakrishna Kudva
switchgear - Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Q. What is the "couping value" in terms of CRCA sheet and how can we perform it?

Chetan Gupta
- Jaipur, India

Q. WHY CRCA STEEL IS BETTER THAN MILD STEEL OR WHAT IS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CRCA STEEL AND MILD STEEL

JANGAM KIRTIKUMAR
- Pune, Maharashtra, India

Q. What is HRPO; is it readily available in market?

GK Nagaraj
- Bangalore,Karanataka,India

A. Hi, GK. That is an acronym that I hadn't seen used before, but it means "Hot rolled, pickled & oiled". Yes, it should be readily available.

What is the post effect on Hot rolled ms Sheet and CRCA Sheet after powder coating.

BISWANATH DAS
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India

A. Hi Biswanath.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "post effect" in this context; please re-phrase. But readers want to hear YOUR situation, not an endless stultifying string of abstract flash-card questions :-)

So please: Who are you? What are you trying to make? What has motivated you to ask this question? Thanks.

Q. I am just wondering whether CRCA can be replaced by the most readily available Cast Iron for industrial applications?

If no, then why so ?

Shyam Vora
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

A. Hi Shyam. Certainly not. Steel has far superior properties to cast iron for many engineering purposes, including ductility rather than brittleness.

Why would you just happen to wonder about this?  :-)

Q. Respected Sir

I am new to the job. I need to collect data on the various kind of raw material used in our plant. I came across many different material to name like CR, CRCA, GA, HR, ERW, SS-400 and many more. On searching internet I came across your website. My question is what are the unique features of each and every material. If possible please suggest some handbook available at internet. I know the question is abstract but I require some base to get accustomed to different material and then be specific.

Ankit

Ankit Rai
Automobile - Gurgaon,Haryana,India

Hi Ankit. The ASM Metals Handbook is a great source for every question about the properties of metals, but it's a 20+ volume set costing several thousand dollars. Since your interest seems restricted to alloy and carbon steels, their specialty handbook would probably be ideal =>

Your boss may appreciate your advice that the company needs a steel handbook ... or not :-)

ASM Specialty Handbook
Carbon & Alloy Steels

Q. Relative permeability of CRCA steel

Dear specialists

I have a rather specific question in connection with properties of CRCA mild steel. For penetrability calculation of this steel for magnetic field I'm searching for relative permeability numbers. I'm far away from mechanical engineering and will be thankful for the information and/or sources.

Thanks in advance

Vlad Ost
railway transportation - Berlin Germany

Q. What is the difference between CRCA and CACA sheet metal? Which one is preferred for elevator cabin, control panel?

Deepak Kumar
- Shaktinagar, Dist Sonebhadra, Uttar Pradesh, India

A. Hi cousin Deepak. Where did you find this term "CACA", and why might want to build elevator cabins and control panels out of it?

I've never heard the term before and feel that we're foolishly wasting time based on nothing but an accidentally introduced typographical error. Stop the madness! I request for the 7th time that you tell us where you saw this term and why it interests you :-)

Q. Please tell me the thickness range of CRCA and HRCA

Vipan Sharma
- Noida, UP, and India

A. Hi Vipan. I'm sure it's well under 1/16 of an inches to several inches. But what width will you need? That enters into it because the thin gauges will be available in sheets 12 foot wide or more whereas the thicker ones won't be (steel warehouses obviously don't want to stock rarely sold single sheets of steel that weigh hundreds of tons). Coils are only available to a limited thickness because it's not practical to roll and unroll a 2" thick plate.

Please tell the readers what you think you need . . . please describe your situation. Regards,

Q. Hi all,

I am Value engineer working on value improvements. Recently I came across an issue that one of our components which is made of CRCA coated with Olive drab is getting rusted.

I heard that GI would be a best alternative for this to avoid rusting. But when I tested for corrosion, the rusting starts from the cut edges.

Just need to understand whether GI would be the best choice to avoid rusting. And if so how to avoid rusting at cutting edges.

Note:- My component is placed in high humidity condition.

Gopalsamy Krishnasamy
- Chennai, India

A. Hi Gopalsamy. I don't understand what you mean by "CRCA coated with olive drab". Olive drab what? You can't coat plain steel with olive drab chromate, only zinc coated steel can be chromate conversion coated ... so I'm not understanding the difference between what you were using vs. what you are experimenting with.

Zinc coatings do offer cathodic protection to steel, so they should minimize corrosion at cut edges. But bare steel should not be exposed to the elements. Further, galvanizing is not nearly as protective in high humidity application as in low. You may need to turn or roll the cut edges, paint the whole unit, or switch from pre-coated to galvanizing after fabrication. Best of luck.

Q. Dear Sir

I am into designing electrical switch gears for which I need some description about the electrical properties of CRCA CRNGO HRCA & SS and the effect magnetic field have on them.
Also it would be helpful if the effect of mechanical motion have on them?

raj chak
- Delhi India

Q. May I know the difference between CRCA & Aluminium Sheets, i.e., Pro & Cons?

Kamlesh Pagariya
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India

A. Hi Kamlesh. You know what CRCA (steel) is and you know what aluminum is, and that they have very different properties. Steel is heavier but stronger so that automobiles are built of steel, but airplanes from aluminum. You know that aluminum is "cleaner" and that cooking grates are built from steel, but the cooking foil to line them from aluminum. That aluminum expands more, so machine tools are made from steel although venetian blinds from aluminum. With hundreds of thousands of different products in the world, each with their own requirements, we can't give you the salient pros and cons for a million different situations. But please tell us what application you have in mind, and maybe we can work together towards an answerable question. Thanks.

Q. I WANT TO KNOW THAT FOR MAKING BOXES AND THEN POWDER COATING, WHICH MATERIAL IS BETTER -- CRCA SHEET OR M S SHEET. ANSWER AS PER DURABILITY.

THANKS.
D K C.

D. K. CHATURVEDI
TRADER - DELHI, INDIA

A. Hi DK. CRCA is a slightly more exacting specification for a M S sheet, so we would need a more exacting specification for the alternate M S sheet before we could answer -- because there might be the same thing. But I think that most any fabricated box would benefit from the uniformity of cold finishing rather than hot rolling, and that every trace of heat scale must be removed before pretreatment and powder coating anyway.

Q. Would like to know about ALSI sheet. Is it more suitable for front panels in cars and trucks. What special properties can be obtained from this, as comparable to CRCA?

Murthy Murthy
Automobile company - Rajkot, Gujarat, India

A. Hi Murthy. Please start by telling us what ALSI sheet is. I am unfamiliar with that acronym, and we'll all be on different wavelengths unless you tell us what it is. Where did you hear of it, and what did you hear about it? Thanks.

Q. Can I form roller shutter door in CRCA metal if i am right?

Rajesh Kesavan
- Salem, Tamilnadu, India

A. Hi Rajesh. I can't see anything right off hand that says CRCA would be wrong for a "shutter door" -- although I'm not sure what you mean by that term. More like a wind shutter on a house than a shutter on a camera, I assume?

Picking the ideal material of construction can be a major engineering undertaking involving inquiries into what manufacturing processes are required to fabricate the item, as well as its required functionality and the environment it will be in.

Does CRCA imply carbon steel, or can it also be stainless?

Q. CRCA, is it available in S.S. and C.S., OR it specifically means carbon steel and not stainless steel?
This is to educate myself and then my vendors / suppliers.

Bakshi VM
Mech. Engineer - Mumbai, India

A. Hi Bakshi. As was said in the first answer on the page, and again later, CRCA is usually understood to mean "cold rolled close annealed" in this context. To ME PERSONALLY, CRCA implies carbon steel.

But it is only an acronym, handy abbreviation, or piece of slang -- it's not a specification, and we can't demand that no one ever use it to mean other that what you wish it to mean :-)

Per Bing, some top meanings of CRCA are "Canadian Roofing Contractors Association" and "Chicago Roofing Contractors Association" -- neither can prevent people from using the acronym to refer to the other association. And is someone wants to talk about CRCA stainless steel, we probably can't stop them :-)