Paint Viscosity Chart / Cross-reference of Ford cups to Zahn cups

+++

Q. I am looking for a paint viscosity chart that will give me relative comparisons between a#2 EZ Zahn cup, a #3 EZ Zahn cup, and a #4 Ford cup, with the ideal temperature of the paint being 77 degrees. I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to locate a chart using the resources I have available to me. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Juliana Frush
aluminum extruder & paint shop - Girard, Ohio

+++

A. You should be able to obtain tables with the conversions from the company that sold you the cups. Typically the EZ series Zahn cups come with a blue booklet that has these tables in them.

David J. Wolf
Medina, Ohio

+++++

Q. In ford cup the viscosity of paints is measured in terms of seconds. What is conversion factor for this to convert it into centipoise?

Lokesh Dhimole
- Bhopal, India

++++++

A. The chart below may help you.

Chart for Viscosity Conversion for Reference

cps    Ford#B3    Ford#B4    Zahn#2    Zahn#3
            (sec.)     (sec.)     (sec.)    (sec.)

10                  5         16
     20      12         10         18
     30      19         14         20
     40      25         18         22
     50      29         22         24
     60      33         25         27
     80      41         31         34
    100      50         34         41         10
    120      62         41         49         14
    140                 45         58         16
    200                 58         80         23
    240                 65                    28

The comparison given is for reference purpose only.

Meghan Manjrekar
- Pune, India

Ford Viscosity Cup

+++++++

A. Try www.visco.co.za/downloads/ford-conversion-chart.pdf for ford cup conversion chart - efflux seconds to Centistokes - then convert CPs = cSt X S.G.

lesley graham
- Durham, England

thumbsdownwww.visco.co.za/downloads/ford-conversion-chart.pdf appears to be a dead link. Any recent links referring to the same problem of converting FC - 4 data to poise?

PC Sarkar
- Ranchi, Jharkhand, India

thumbsup2viscositycup.com/ViscosityCupConversionChart.pdf

Atul Mishra
- Anjar, Gujarat, India

----
Ed. note: That one is broken now as well :-(

Q. I want viscosity chart for different temperatures in B4 Cup.

Mohan Subramaniyam
paint industry - India

A. Hi, Mohan.

The B4 cup offers you an estimate of the absolute viscosity of a liquid in centistokes based on its efflux time. The viscosities of liquids decrease with increasing temperature. But regardless of whether you specify the viscosity in terms of centistokes or B4 efflux time, I think you would need to specify exactly what liquid you are speaking of before anyone could offer a chart to show the relationship between its viscosity and its temperature. Good luck.

Q. Dear Meghan,

Do you have conversion of 552.317 cst to ford cup B4 - secs.

Aniruddha Oak
- Bangalore, India

A. Hi, Aniruddha.

I think the problem is that that viscosity is beyond the range of proper measurement with an F4 cup. According to the previously referenced chart at www.visco.co.za/downloads/ford-conversion-chart.pdf, it looks like the efflux time for an F5 cup would be about 48 seconds.

Q. I find that Two cups - B4 cups never give the same results. Can any one explain to me the reasons? I can verify the volume of cup and the dia of orifice. Can you correlate these parameters to the disagreement of the cups? How do I say that a particular B4 cup is faulty and should be discarded?

A. Dear David and other friends,
Try www.viscosity.comregistrationreqd
-- Viscosity conversion tables by Norcross Corporation. I think it has wide range of useful information.

Sushil Samvatsar
- Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India

----
Ed. note: Although you can buy a "certified" Ford B4 cup =>
I'm not sure that that really answers Sushil's question. If anyone can help, please do.

Ford Viscosity Cup Certified

Q. Sir We are using ford cup B4. Our material is viscous. We are checking its time to empty the cup in seconds. Please send us how to convert it in to centipoise.

With Regards

Manikantan Rajan
executive - Ambernath, Maharastra, India

A. Hi, Manikantan. Can you clarify in what way Meghan Manjrekar's chart does not answer your question? Thanks.

Q. Dear sir,

Sorry Sir I can't get the answer to the question from the chart of Mr. Meghan. My question was when the seconds is more than 200 sec how the conversion table will help. Please send me the conversion formula from seconds to centipoise at room temperature.

Manikantan Rajan (returning)

A. Hi again Manikantan. Method ASTM D1200 [link is to spec at TechStreet] covers viscosity measurement with the Ford Cup.

Please also try to also get hold of the ASTM Gardner/Sward "Paint Testing Manual" [link is to info about book on Amazon] as it has an excellent chapter on the subject of viscosity and its measurement with the various cups and devices. It includes a chart by Euverard showing a conversion factor of 3.7 for the Ford B4 cup. That is,

centistokes = efflux time x 3.7

centipoise = centistokes x specific gravity

A carpenter doesn't drive tacks with his sledgehammer, or landscape spikes with his tack hammer; he picks a different hammer for different jobs. Neither is there a single cup that allows good measurement of all possible viscosities. I think the basic problem is that you are trying to measure high viscosity liquids with the wrong cup for the job; the first step would probably be to get a cup which is designed for higher viscosity liquids than the B4 cup . . . like a B5 cup. Best of luck!

Viscosity of Liquids

Q. Conversion of viscosity
We are using Dr Beck's varnish Elmotherm 97. Viscosity as per manufacturers specification is 300-400 mPa.s. We are using Ford B4 cup for checking the viscosity.of the varnish.
In how many seconds the cup should become empty. Please also specify the orifice of B4 cup. Please clarify.

V.K. Chebbi
Supplier of laminated stampings - bangalore.India

Q. How to measure the viscosity in B4 ford cup? Is there any calculation available? Please clarify.

siva balan
Quality Engineer - Chennai , Tamil nadu, india

A. Hi, Siva. In light of the previous answers and referenced charts & tables, I am not understanding where the difficulty lies. Can you please try to re-cast the question in terms of the answers already supplied? Sorry, I am not understanding in exactly what way the information supplied is deficient. Thanks!

A. As per the ASTM Method: D1200-10, "Standard Test Method for Viscosity by Ford Viscosity Cup", the following formula is used to convert efflux time in seconds (unit s) to Kinematic viscosity (unit cSt.) for Ford Cup Number 4:

Kinematic Viscosity (cSt) = 3.85 (t ^ 4.49), where t is efflux time in seconds.

Please remember that this ASTM method (D1200) covers the determination of Newtonian or near-Newtonian liquid materials. For non-Newtonian, Method ASTM D2196 [link is to spec at TechStreet] should be used.

Dr. Danish Jamal
- Pune, India

Q. From where do you all getting the factor 3.7 please tell me for the problem of manikantan.

Amit Patil
student - Maharastra

A. Hi, Amit. Unfortunately my copy of the book I quoted is out on loan so I can't double-check but, as I recall, "3.7" is simply an empirical factor that is reasonably close for a narrow range of efflux times. If you look at the previously referenced chart at www.visco.co.za/downloads/ford-conversion-chart.pdf, you will be able to see that the centistokes is reasonably close to 3.7 times the B4 efflux time in seconds.

The ASTM D1200 formula quoted by Dr. Jamal is presumably more accurate.

Sir, I want the conversion of Ford cup B4 unit in second to poise.
So please tell me how can I convert this.

Pravin K.
student - Gujrat, India

Q. Can I measure viscosity 120-130 in B4 ford cup?

Shah j.r.
- Vadodara, India

A. Hi Shah. I can't tell whether there is something here which is specifically confusing you, or whether you haven't read the page :-) Please explain what it is about Meghan's chart that you are not following . . . then we will be able to clarify it. Thanks!

Conversion of B4 cup to Zahn cup #2

Q. I would like to compare the results of my paint with other lab for NATA.
The other lab has used B4 cup using our paint and our lab has used Zahn cup #2 for viscosity testing.
Therefore I would like to see if my instrument is giving the correct reading with other lab.
Basically I am doing the Inter-laboratory testing.

So what is the relation or conversion factor from B4 cup to Zahn cup #2?

Dinesh Chandra
- Brisbane, Qld Australia

A. Hi Dinesh. Why is Meghan's chart insufficient for you? Please detail the issue! I am not understanding this continual repetition of a question that I thought was already clearly answered. Thanks!

Q. All I need is the conversion chart or any similar that would enable my Zahn cup is giving us the true reading as B4 cup.
The B4 cup measured from other lab is made of Brass.

Is B4 cup same as Ford B4 CUP?

The results are as follows :

Zahn cup#2         B4 cup
Sample B : 26s         22s
Sample A: 29s         34s
How would you explain the conversion?

Dinesh Chandra
- Brisbane, QLD Australia

A. Hi Dinesh. As noted, Meghan Manjrekar has already posted the relationship between Zahn #2 Cup and Ford B4 cup on this page so you can compare your Zahn readings vs. the Ford B4 readings and decide if they are close enough. To me they don't seem to be close enough because for sample A the Zahn reading was lower that the Ford reading, which goes against the whole direction of the chart.

To my knowledge, the only B4 cup is the Ford B4 cup, but you cannot resolve an unclear communication by asking a 3rd party what the second party was thinking; you have to ask them for clarification until you understand each other. Good luck.