-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Metal dye for different colors

Is it possible to dye nickel and steel metals various colors such as red,blue etc. I have an idea but I need to see if there is a way I can get different colored nickel and or steel wire without painting or coating.

William T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
hobbyist - Livermore, California, USA

Did you ever find an answer to your question on how to color steel or nickel?

Kip K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Anaheim, California, USA

How about getting it as clean as you can and then using a magic marker (indelible marker)? That may be as close to a permanent dye as you will achieve. Aluminum can be dyed much more permanently because an anodized coating is like a honeycomb that can be filled with dye and then sealed.

Ted Mooney,

Hi there,

I am looking for an effective way to dye untreated Tungsten beads e.g. brown, green etc...

It needs to be indelible, waterproof and rub resistant.

I've done some experimentation with Industrial metal marking inks, but with no success.

Any advice or solution would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Bawden
Fishing Tackle design - Matthews, North Carolina

Not a cheap solution, but perhaps the best would be a PVD coating process.

Ted Mooney,

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search