How to enamel tin plate, silver, and plated metals?

+

Q. Is tin plating generally considered a good substrate for painting with an organic enamel? I have some input saying that oxides of tin are generally weak and that enamel over tin isn't a good idea. The part base material is a copper stamping so the whole material set would be organic enamel over tin over copper.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Vern Rieck
- Concord, New Hampshire, USA

Need gold plating and ceramic enamel on cast iron

++++

RFQ: I am a homeowner/amateur restorer who recently acquired, thru an antique dealer, a cast iron charcoal burning wood heater, probably 80-150 years old. It was labeled as "Chinese" because of the ornate patterns in the casting, and it's color. It has what appears to be two layers of ceramic enamel: green over white, so the highlights appear yellow. I have several needs/questions:
1) I need an abrasive powder or paste to buff out the chalky areas of the good enamel.
2) I need two or three pieces re-enameled with a color match(apparently illegal in California)
3) I need three handles gold plated.
4) I need one missing piece replaced.
5) I need a shop that can help me with conversion to gas.

David LeCount
hobbyist - Petaluma, California, U. S.
outdated

Enamel sterling silver jewelry

+++

Q. I would like to know how to coat a piece of sterling silver jewelry with enamel paint? After brushing paint on jewelry, do I heat it to make it adhere, and if so how long and at what temperature?

Mike Franklin
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina

A. Actually you cannot use heat as the silver would melt. Enameling would have to be an inherent part of the original manufacturing process. Cold enamel painting works BUT it does not last as it eventually flakes off. However this method is used on cheaper costume jewellery on occasions. HTH

Merrily Willis
- Mt Colah, NSW, Australia

A. Actually, when you enamel on sterling, it is not enamel paint you are using. It is actually a silicon like substance that is fusible to the metal. The enamel is made into a paste like consistency and then is fused to the metal using heat (typically by using a kiln). It takes a lot of practice to get it right, but the results are well worth the effort.

Cheryl Titcher
Inspire Designed Jewelry - Newark, Delaware

Q. Cheryl - What do I need to buy to enamel on silver? What is the silicon like substance you are referring to?

Barbara Yuson
- Howell, New Jersey

Q. Hi Cheryl, do you know what the silver substance/product used to coat the outer sides of crystals used in jewellery?
One jeweler told me it's --- silver plating over copper {the copper makes silver plating stick}. Another one said it's sterling silver. Do you know of any other product that can be painted on or applied like this as I'd like to try it. I spoke to a silver clay artist/teacher she ruled that out because the amethyst would loose it's colour under the heat needed to fire the silver clay. I wondered about a paint, then marine lacquer for lastability.?

Kaye Hanger
Kaye's Kreations - Hastings

Enamelling of electroplated metal

Q. I'm thinking about enameling metal that has been electroplated. But, to do so requires the piece to be put into a kiln at a temperature to melt glass. When the piece cools a certain tension is produced in the piece caused by different coefficients of expansion of metal and enamel. So, is it possible to enamel on an electroplated piece of metal, say nickel-plated brass? I am trying to obtain a definite answer, but will do experiments if it is not clear that what I wish to do is do-able. Thank you.

Richard Rogalewski
Designer (of necessity) - UK

A. You must heat your objects to 750 - 850 °C; that's too high temperature for electroplated objects, and I am not sure that nickel can be enameled. Copper, gilding metal, silver, gold and steel are metals that can be enameled.

Hope it helps and good luck!