Need to start a Zinc Plating Plant

+++

Sir,

Q. I want to start a small Zinc Plant so I wanted to know the total cost of plant and chemicals used . The zinc plant is to be set up for plating of sheet metal components. So please kindly advice me how to start.

Rakesh Arora
Automotive - Delhi, India
outdated

+++

A. Short answer, you need to do some research on your own first, then you probably need a consultant.

totter James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

RFQ: I want to start zinc plating plant & nickel-chrome plant; so please give me a guideline for total investment and cost per kg

arvind patil
- ankleshwer,gujarat,india

A. Hi, Arvind.

You must start with a knowledge of what type of parts you will be plating so that you can determine a pretreatment sequence (cleaning, activation, and possibly initial plating layers like zincate, alkaline copper, or Wood's nickel based on the material of the substrate). Then the plating sequence (acid vs. cyanide vs. alkaline zinc plating, for example). Then you select the required post treatment (probably a RoHS-compliant chromate, perhaps followed by a sealer topcoat, or a wax or a water soluble oil).

Next you consider such factors as whether you will barrel plate the articles or rack plate them, and whether the line will be manually operated or automatic. With this information and the production rate, you can begin sizing the process tanks and ancillary equipment. I have seen small production plating lines put together from used equipment for $50,000, whereas I was involved in one plating line where the concrete foundation cost a million dollars before we began setting the first tank :-)

You may possibly find a process supplier and/or equipment supplier who will help you through the entire design, but many years (or decades) of experience are required to make the right early decisions. So, as James says, you should probably retain a plating consultant before attempting to go further.

The best way to determine cost per kg is to request quotes from a couple of local plating shops. Best of luck.

Q. I want to start zinc electroplating. What can do for this?

Jigar Patel
- Mahesana, Gujarat, India

A. Hi Jigar. Try to search for a supplier of plating processes in Gujarat and ask them to send a technical sales representative to see you. Armed with brochures and an hour or two of his/her time, I think you'll have a very general idea of what is involved, so that you can continue to study on your own for a while. You'll see recommended plating books on our "must-have books" page.

After you have the general idea, plus a little book knowledge, you'll be able to talk to a consultant and do initial planning on the installation. Good luck.

Q. Thanks for giving me advice.
I have base knowledge about plating in two types (tank, barrels).
I need study full process of plating including chemicals used after process.

Jigar Patel
- Mahesana, Gujarat, India

A. Hi again, Jiger. We may be having a little bit of language difficulty, but I don't quite understand what you want. If you are asking for the general sequence of operation, it is usually soak clean, electroclean, acid activate, zinc plate, chromate conversion coat, seal (necessary with some trivalent chromate processes) -- with rinsing between each step.

But there are entire 500-page books just on the zinc plating process, and 500-page books just on the installation and maintenance of plating equipment, and just on troubleshooting plating problems. So, in between my one-sentence description of the plating process, and the thousands of pages describing "the full process" in plating books, what exactly can we actually help you with? Thanks.

October 7, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I need to establish a zinc plating in Gujarat, but I have no idea for zinc plating process and instrument list.
So give me a better idea about zinc plating.

Gosai Jaydipgiri
- Surat, Gujarat

----
Readers: Please see our "Looking for a Finishing Service" and "Looking for Products & Services for Our Finishing Shop" pages for active RFQs.
Our advertisers make this site possible for technical information exchange & camaraderie, and they will contact the inquirers privately regarding their commercial needs.