The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

How to make up ferrous sulfate solution for electroplating

(2003)

First thank you very much for reading my message. I am fully appreciative of those who respond to my question. I want to set up a tank with nickel^ferrous sulfate plating solution. This solution will be used to plate on copper material. Those who worked with solution before, please advise me what we need to set up the tank and how to make up a solution. My questions are: what chemical compositions pH range and what chemical used to adjust pH What type of anode How to avoid chemical solution from oxidation Any more information will be very much appreciated I have some information from Metal Finishing Book but it is not enough. I like more information from those who actually had worked with this solution.

PS: We want to use Ferrous Fluoborate solution but since there aren't company product this solution anymore; therefore, we are trying different solution such as Ferrous sulfate instead.

Thank you so much,

Hanh Truong
manufacturing - San Carlos, California, USA

(2003)

? What do you want to know about, nickel plating or ferrous sulfate? One has nothing to do with the other. If you get a little (lot?) more specific, maybe we can give you some direction.

totter James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

(2003)

thumbsup2 Thank for replying. I meant ferrous sulfate. Sorry for the mistake.

Hanh

Hanh Truong [returning]
- San Carlos, California

A. Hi, Hanh. Iron plating baths like these are not widely used; that's probably why you are having trouble locating a supplier. Iron plating is important in soldering iron manufacturing but not much else these days :-)

As mentioned in letter 37918, Lowenheim's "Electroplating" offers six formulations for iron plating baths. The simplest is probably the 240 g/l FeSO4.6H2O bath operated at ph 2.8-3.5 and temperature of 32-65 °C, current density 400-1000 A/sq. m. (You must avoid air agitation to keep from oxidizing the dissolved iron).

The same thread also offers, a reader's suggestion for a simple bath.

There are manufacturers of ferrous sulfate based iron plating solutions; you can buy the process from them and get with it all of the tech data information about installing and operating it. Alternately, you can do a literature search on "iron plating" and "soldering iron" and learn a great deal about how to plate iron onto copper.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

(2003)

A. There are some chemical companies which can still supply the ferrous fluoborate solutions you may need.

Columbus Chemical Industries in Wisconsin does sell this as a solution.

Sherry Brock
chemical supplier - Columbus, Wisconsin