What is SPI/SPE #3

+++

I received a drawing specifying an SPE/SPI #3 finish on non-textured surfaces and I can't find what this means. I looked on the SPI and SPE websites and they have no info available. Can you tell me what this polish spec means, and what the #3 means?

Krista VanDuyn
product development - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

+++

I have looked at this question a couple of times and have come up with a big zero. This is not a QC spec. and as far as I know, it is not related to a material spec.; therefore, it must be home grown. Meaning, I suggest you check back with the originator of the information and ask them to clarify.

AF Kenton
Nova Finishing Sytems Inc. - Hatboro, Pennsylvania

+++

Plastic injection specification but I don't believe that it is actually sanctioned. It means 320 grit abrasive cloth polishing technique RMS = 7.0 to 7.5.

Margie Garza
- Livermore, California

letter 20910 explains what the SPI standards are, covering the old numbered finishes vs. the new lettered finishes, and where to get them. Good luck.

I wanted to know how SPE/SPI #3 finish is done? Whether this finish is done to the mold box before molding or to the mold obtained after molding.
Does this finish process effect the part from being RoHS compliant?Do I need to get RoHS certificate from the vendor whoever doing this finish.

Please reply.

Kirankumar Kulal
- India