-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Restore chrome chair

I recently got an old chair from my mother that has chrome legs. I tried to remove the rust with a rust removing product, however it dulled the shine.
How can I get the shine back?

Should I sand and repaint with a rust preventing spray paint?

Carol Perozzi
homeowner - Elkton, Maryland

Hi, Carol. You cannot restore chrome that is gone. If wax doesn't help enough, you need to have the legs replated by a plating shop.

You can try to sand and paint, but chrome is notorious as impossible to paint, so sand well to get rid of the chrome and get down to the nickel, then try a Self-Etching Primer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] before your finish coat. Good luck.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search