How to age or rust galvanized steel or "tin"

+++

Q. I want to speed up the process of "rusting". I have some new galvanized steel pots and roof tin. How can I remove the coating and accelerate the process of aging? I want to use the tin sheets as an interior ceiling, so leaving it outside is not an option. Also, if I paint the sheets, what will cause it to chip and crack?

Marie Clark
hobbyist - Cartersville, Georgia

++++

A. There is a product for aging tin called "Plum Brown" as I recall =>

I haven't tried it yet. I tried vinegar and that was totally ineffective on tin plated sheets. "Plum Brown" is fairly expensive, costly about $10 for enough to age 3-4 10"x14" punched tin panels.

Roy Ramey
- Roy, Utah

Plum Brown Barrel Finish

++++

Hi Roy. Although people tend to call steel sheet metal "tin", actually tin is an element and very different from steel. Galvanized metal is steel that is coated with zinc, but "Pie safe" Tinamazoninfo may be made of tin, or may be steel that is plated with tin.

Zinc and tin are different materials and will react differently to treatments, so the first step in your case, where a treatment didn't work, may be to find out for sure which material you are dealing with -- not that it's easy! Good luck.

A. Hi. I am doing some punched tin work for a shaker style cabinet door and needed to age it. I have found that you can use Muriatic Acid to remove the galvanizing and then use Apple Cider Vinegar. Only Apple Cider Vinegar works. You soak the tin in the acid bath (use an old or cheap metal cooking tray). Not sure how long, so you may need to experiment. Then you clean it with water, dry and then soak it in the Apple Cider Vinegar for a few minutes. Let dry out side. In fact, do all this out doors in a well ventilated area. Redo the vinegar if more is desired. I found it at desultorybutterfly.blogspot.com/2008/01/primitive-style-decorating.html

Gary McNeel
- Houston, Texas US

Q. I have bought 2 French 1940 tin work/ boot lockers and I want to take the paint off of them to polish the metal to get that old shiny metal look. What is the best way. The lockers are 1 m 95 cm high x 36 cm deep x 72 cm wide.
Thank you for your help.

Guy Trench
contemporary antiques - Maldon, Essex, England

Hi, Guy. You can strip the paint with paint stripper, maybe sanding any little areas as necessary until you're at bare metal, then try the plum brown?

Q. I'm wanting to put rusty corrugated metal on my ceiling and backsplash. I'm having trouble finding used tin. What can I do? How can I achieve this look without the used material?

Jan Smith
- Dallas, Texas

Tin Craft

Tin Punching Sheet

August , 2012

A. Hi Jan. Muriatic acid is dangerous stuff, requiring gloves and goggles and working outside, but it will quickly remove the galvanizing from the metal.

Don't use muriatic acid inside, no matter how careful you are; it's a gas dissolved in water, not a liquid, and can ruin stainless steel and everything else.

Q. I am finishing the inside of a room we had built on. I am very into the country look and told my husband that I want to use galvanized silver roofing for the inside ceiling. My question is what to use for the trim work.

dana stitt
- kittanning, pennsylvania usa

Q. Hi, I just began soldering and have been trying to figure out how to antique the solder for jewelry/decorative purposes. I've tried liver of sulfur - which didn't work even after I sandpapered the item. The solder I used is 98% tin. Please tell me what I can use for tin. Thank you

Denise Erickson
- Murrieta, California, USA

A. Muriatic acid is the best choice but, you must mix with about 20% water in a PLASTIC rectangular container at least a couple inches deep and big enough to lay the panels down in it. Be sure to wear a real respirator, not the little face cup type. Heavy rubber gloves and full face protection is also needed.
The Muriatic acid will give off gas as it eats the galvanizing off the metal sheet. This is why you should do it outside and stay up wind. Do NOT use an aluminum throw-away roasting pan!! It will eat right through it!
Make sure you have a hose handy so you can wash the acid off as soon as you take it out.
It only takes a few minutes to de-coat the metal. Afterwards, you can put the washed sheets in an aluminum throw-away roasting pan partially filled with vinegar to further age the look of the metal.

FRED MATAS
- DESERT HOT SPRINGS, California

Q. Hi. I am trying to make a craft for some Christmas presents. I would like to have "Tarnished" or "Aged" spoons in them. I have gone to thrift shops and it is harder to find tarnish spoons than I thought it would be.

I have several "Stainless" spoons that are pretty shiny. Is there a way to stain them or age them?

Sean Oshae
- Evansville, Wyoming, USA

A. Hi Sean. Deciding that you want to use stained and tarnished materials, then starting with a material which has been very carefully developed and optimized to not stain or tarnish sounds like the wrong approach :-)

Please try E-bay or Craigslist for worn out silverplate.