The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

How Do I Seal or Protect a Copper Sink?

+++

I purchased a hand-hewn copper sink in Mexico. I was told I could buy in US a marine varnish called Polyfor 369 de alta avarencia. I was to put a coat on, let sit in hot sun, repeat in 24 hours. It was to protect the copper from turning colors. I have been unable to find any such product. It is time to remodel, and I don't have the sink ready. Please, does anyone have any suggestions or directions.

Carol S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Tacoma, Washington

++++

What can be used to seal a copper kitchen sink to prevent it from changing colors.

Tony M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
homeowner - Etown, Kentucky

+++++

If you want to seal copper from additional oxidation patina, I would recommend the following product:

Permalac. You can purchase this product by the gallon or in spray form from Peacock Laboratories.

Paul Sacco
- Dallas, Texas

+++++

We have a beautiful copper bowl sink which immediately tarnishes when a drop of water hits it. What products would you recommend to protect it? Now, it requires copious amounts of polishing daily...not a good thing. Whatever we put on it would have to be able to withstand warm to hot water.

Patricia Dirlam
hobbyist - Franklin, Tennessee