Benefits of powder coating over e-coating

+++

We are faced with losing 30 million dollars in sales due to competitor quoting finishing the components in lower cost e-coat vs. our current powder coating. We manufacture and install commercial vehicle cargo interiors. Our components will be used in everything from Telecommunication to heavy construction and the finish needs to stand up to the equipment being placed on and off our powder coated shelves and components. We feel by powder coating our components vs. e-coating it gives a more durable surface and longer finish life. Does anyone have any test or study information where e-coat has been tested against powder coating? We are using a non UV-resistant polyester-epoxy powder coating.

J. Michael Cathcart
1st tier automotive, point of purchase displays - Atlanta, Georgia

+++

You should contact the PCI and vendors such as Tiger Drylac and Martex to see what literature they can offer, Michael.

But if I had 30 million dollars in sales at risk in these circumstances, I would not hesitate for a single heartbeat before retaining an expert powder coating consultant to prepare a report tailored to my exact product line.

+++

What's "e-coating" as mentioned in your mail .... thanks.

Atul Bhide
jobshop / applicator - Mumbai, India

May , 2007

Hello, Atul. E-coating means electrocoating -- sometimes alternately called electropainting, electrophoretic lacquering, CED (cathodic electrodeposition) and so on. The parts are immersed in an electrified tank with a special cationic or anionic paint which deposits on the parts as a result of electrochemical oxidation or reduction.

An advantage is full coverage (the deposited paint becomes insulating, diverting the electrical current to spots where paint hasn't yet deposited). Another advantage is that the coating is quite thin compared to other organic coatings. But that thinness might be a mark against it for durability and corrosion resistance. The two processes can be combined, i.e., electrocoating followed by powder coating.

May 6, 2009appended

Advantages of electrocoating over powder coating>

praveen kumar
employee - chennai,Tamil nadu, India

Hi, Praveen. We appended your inquiry to a thread which may answer it for you. But if you provide additional details about your components and their application, we may be able to provide additional info.

Q. Hello all,
E-coat vs powder coat for an outdoor luminaire? Trying to address the finish on a diecast aluminum outdoor luminaire. Current finish is anodize with powder coat over the top. VERY expensive. Any suggestions on a finish that will withstand weathering ? (looking for 10 yr warranty)

David Venhaus
Consultant to OEM - Wauwatosa, WI

Hi David.

Anodizing diecast aluminum and following it with powder coating sounds like a pretty good but fairly unusual and expensive finish. I suspect that e-coat PLUS powder coat will be less expensive and more robust. Please remember, however, that pretreatment is a major part of finishing, so it's not just an issue of specifying the final finish, but either specifying the pretreatment or finding competent applicators. Good luck.

A possible even cheaper process whilst still retaining 10 years protection would be zirconium phosphate followed by architectural polyester powder top coat.

Terry Hickling
Martex Paints Ltd

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Hi all,

We need to protect some tubular heaters that are going to be used in a swimming pool environment (fitted at high level) and have suggested the use of e-coat. The tubular heaters are manufactured from mild steel.

Our client has asked for some data to support the choice of e-coat. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

regards

Gary

Gary Langman
- Daventry, UK

Hi, Gary. We can tell you that all automobiles around the world are e-coated before painting, so that should be some evidence of its value. PPG may have case studies. But I think you will find that most E-coating is not UV resistant, so it must be followed with something. A polyurethane top coat is common, but I think powder coating would be better.

Again, the primary thing that E-coating offers, that painting and powder coating don't, is 100 percent coverage. Good luck.

I am in the beginning stages of restoring an old pick up truck. I'm having the frame repaired and reinforced, being a midwestern truck, from the Salt n' Rust Belt... I want to take whatever steps I can, to prevent the frame from being ruined again. From what I have been reading, it would appear that having the frame cleaned, then e-coated, then powder coated is the way to go? I want the best protection possible - whatever method it might entail. Comments saying E-coating is able to offer 100% coverage, but is thin... tend to concern me. Powder coating is a thicker more durable process correct? But is not able to offer 100% coverage... but the two together - would that be good enough? Opinion, thoughts, suggestions?

Thank you!

Tom Stack
- Stevens Point, Wisconsin, USA

Hi Tom. Yes, the two coatings are compatible, and electrocoating followed by powder coating is a common and robust system.