Painting used steel siding so it won't peel off

+++

I am putting used steel siding on a building at my cottage. I want to paint the siding when I have finished. Should I prime the siding first? If so, with what? What should I use for the finishing paint? How many coats?

Richard Watts
- Lakefield, Ontario, Canada

+++

Richard,
Regarding your question above. I am wanting to do the same thing and have the same questions. Could you send me any advice you received on this subject?

Robert Tewart
- Ligonier, Pennsylvania

++++

I would like to know the process in repainting my steel siding. Do I have to prime the first coat? I would also like to know what kind of paint and primer to use. Thank you.

Edward O'Brien
- New Milford, New Jersey

++++

I paint houses for a living and the first thing that I would do with that siding personally is wash it with trisodium phosphateamazoninfo according to the directions on the package. Next I would put a thin coat of high bonding latex primer on it. A good product in my mind is Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3amazoninfo. Then depending on the color change one or two coats of 100% Acrylic latex paint - mid grade to high quality.

Frank Roshau
- Killdeer, North Dakota

++++++

I would like to know if you can paint steel siding with a brush or if you would have to spray it?

Judy Wiedmer
- Williston, North Dakota

April , 2006

I don't see any reason you can't use a brush.

+++++++

I too am looking to paint my home; it has steel siding, it looks like there are several questions regarding this question. Has anyone had success if so how and what did you use? how does it hold up to the expansion and contraction of the siding? Can custom colors be mixed or do you have to use company colors? HELP, Jim

Jim Douglass
- Preston, Idaho