Can an egg damage car's clear coat?

+++

What damage does an egg have on a car's clear coat? Because my son is in trouble and he might have to pay a hefty amount of money. But we don't believe a [egg] can damage a clear coat.

Derek Zdeleted
- Bel Air, Maryland

Believe it, Derek! If you're still dubious, break an egg on your own car, let it sit for 48 hours, and tell us what you believe then :-) An egg will absolutely damage a car's paint (or anything else's paint).

If your son is a young child, sorry that it's an expensive way for him to learn that eggs are more damaging than he thought.

Juvenile Court

Overnight is enough to damage some paints. I think that it is the enzymes in it that do the most damage, but the sulfur content does not help either. The exact clear coat and under paint will make quite a difference. Having to mow a lot of lawns in the heat of the day to pay it off will be a fine lesson for him to learn about respect for other peoples property. Was it a Mercedes or a Corvette?

An egg can cause staining of a car's clear coat. Ask my wife, she had two eggs thrown at her car by some students. The eggs were not immediately washed off and left lots of hazy white spots all over the car that couldn't be washed off later. Moral - avoid students during their post-exam festivities or don't drive cars near universities.

Yes sir, egg can damage car's clear coat because it sticks on that. When we try to remove that then it leaves white spots.

Jyoti B deleted
- Hisar, Haryana, India

How about teaching your kid to respect other people's property. YES it damages paint and YES it costs a lot to fix - basically you have to repaint everywhere that got egged, which is at least a few hundred dollars.

John S deleted
- Richmond, BC, Canada

+++

I would like some more information on the damage eggs do to cars, especially if on a blue metallic paint. My cousins car was egged and she was told her paint would need to be stripped entirely and repainted at a cost of $AUS 5500.

Does this sound correct?

If anyone could help or give advice and information it would be much appreciated.

Kate W deleted
- Sydney, NSW, Australia

How to Paint Your Car

++++

My stupid EX-girlfriend thought it would be funny to throw eggs at my car. When I noticed it happened, I immediately got a sponge and began washing it, but it was three in the morning so I decided to wait until the next day to wash it. Unfortunately, it left a lot of marks that would not come off after washing it several times. I'm told that the protein in eggs mix with something in the paint and that is what damages it. If you dry it and the paint, supposedly, that will get the protein out. I am going to try that tomorrow.

Joe L deleted
- Massapequa, New York

sidebar ++++
Hey Joe, tell us this: Which came first, the chick ex'd or the egg?

++++

You SERIOUSLY need to teach your child some respect for the personal property of others. Some punk decided to egg my Dark Blue F250 one Friday night on a weekend when I just so happened to be ill and didn't leave the house for two days. I go out of the house Monday morning for work to find somebody was kind enough to throw ONE egg at my F250 Crew cab which up until that point had a near perfect paint job. This was in mid summer too so by the time I had seen what had happened it was too late.

I got out some Simple Greenamazoninfo and a towel and scrubbed off the egg itself but where the egg made contact with the paint the finish is almost like the crinkle finish you find on certain hand tools or exhaust manifolds. In other words FUBAR.

Jared J deleted
- Amarillo, Texas

+++++

Yes, egg will damage the paint on your car. My 1997 Pontiac was egged and the paint peeled right up. Not a good situation.

Edward P deleted
- Buffalo, New York

+++++

There is nothing you can really do about egg once its dried on your car's paint. Use Bug Off/ Tar Off -- that helps, Or household ammonia (tsp with a cup of water) but either get touch up paint from the dealer or get it repainted.. sucks.

Sam deleted
- Ventura, California

+++++

Early this morning, around 3 am I'm figuring...my vehicle got egged. I raced to the carwash at about noon today, and it was too late. The clearcoat on the driver's side door is ruined. I tried a little bug/tar remover and it helped a bit, but in general its going to need new paint on the door. YES...egg ruins your finish.

Monty W deleted
- Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

+++++

My car was egged on Monday night. The eggs made little white swirls all over my door. I got an estimate for 300 bucks to repaint the door on my brand new Honda Accord. I think its really dumb how the parent above is trying to challenge that the egg can't ruin the paint from the cars that her son threw eggs at. He should pay and have to do community service to learn respect for his community.

Brian W deleted
- Staten Island, New York

++++++

I think anyone who throws eggs at someone's car is a punk that needs to be disciplined severely. Community service is not enough. They need to be arrested if found. My daughter's 1991 Mustang with a black paint job that she worked very hard for has a ruined hood because of a loser kid that has no respect for other people's property.

Jerry N deleted
- San Antonio, Texas

++++++

Some jerk egged my car last night... Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have my trunk lid repainted? 2004 Honda Accord. no damage from egg yolk/whites, just impact damage. arggh! damn kids.

Jennifer D deleted
Marketing - Sterling, Illinois

++++++

Hi there,
Ok here is what you should do. I work at a paint/body shop in Colorado and I paint cars and know a bit or two about lacquer, enamel, and urethane finishes. What year and make is the car? If it is an older car (lets say '90 or older) it is possible you might still have that crappy lead paint they used back before people learned how to paint cars right, and you may be out of luck. If it is peeling off... I'm sorry, there's not a lot you can do. If the paint under the egg seems like it is still intact, you would probably have some luck or at least help by attacking it with some household ammonia and some white vinegar.

If your car is a newer one, which I believe in 2006 it probably is, start out by trying some Goof Offamazoninfo or Goo Goneamazoninfo and soaking it. Just keep pouring the stuff on or cup it around the egg to keep it soaked and gently (with your fingernail) pick away at the egg. If this doesn't work, or you want better results, you will have to bring in the heavy guns. Get this stuff called M.E.K. (MEK / methyl ethyl ketoneamazoninfo) and a respirator. Its usually around $12 and comes in a metal can. You might ask Home Depot if they recommend anything else for egg removal, I would be curious to see that they say, but M.E.K. should do the job. This is what we use in our shop to remove everything, essentially making the surfaces virgin again in preparation for paint and primer. We use paper towels because once they dry you can toss them in the trash, but I think for eggs you might have to use a rag or some sort of heavy sponge because this stuff evaporates within seconds, and you will need to keep rewetting it and scrub hard.
Now this is what I recommend is you have a factory or a Catalyzed Urethane finish because it won't harm the paint. If you have recently taken your car to Maaco and they sprayed it with Acrylic Enamel or Lacquer, you might experience some slight fading in the paint. Just be really careful and wear a respirator and ask questions if you need to.

And now for the shpiel.
What I've noticed when people bring their cars in to fix the "egg damage" is that the people, completely ignorant, are the ones who actually ruin their paint jobs. Upon noticing that baked egg has bonded onto the surface of their finishes, they feel compelled to pick, pry, and chisel it off. Even if they don't make it that far they will just grab some soapy water and a sponge and go at it without knowing that they are driving egg shells into their clear coat cutting it up. I love it when people do this because it gives my body shop lots of business, but at the same time I want to help all of you by telling you not to do that. There are very very very few substances on planet Earth that will remove auto paint and I can easily say egg is not one of them. One you will never find in a commercial store, and the other is Methylene Chloride... which hopefully your safeway chickens haven't been getting in to. This is a perfect example of why Auto Factories chemically engineer auto paints to be robust when up against bugs, tar, stickers, and other tacky substances. Baked egg will "bond" onto the paint and you simply need to get creative in "unbonding" the egg from the paint. This is why people usually will tell you to clean it off immediately, which is what I recommend too, but once it hardens there is still plenty that can be done. Try what I have recommended above and you should be in good shape. If there are seriously multiple layers of baked egg bonded into your finish, you've tried everything, and nothing at all works... then get back to me :-)
Good Luck

Jason M deleted
- Littleton, Colorado

++++++

Jason...

Thank you for those suggestions... I just this morning noticed upon washing my 2006 Nissan Maxima... that I have recently been egged...

The egg has definitely bonded, so I'm hoping your suggestions will save me a new paint job :)

Thanks again!

David G deleted
- Leesburg, Florida

++++++

The guy who worked at the paint shop is only half right. Yah, you can make the damage worse by picking the egg off, and Yah, you can get the egg off if you wash the car slowly and carefully, but the paint is always stained, the albumin in the egg discolors the paint deep into the surface and ruins the finish. Not only that but the egg breaking will also ruin the paint, often creating a star-like pattern of cracks and paint chips where the egg shell gouged into the paint. How could this be, you may wonder? Well, the egg itself is an amazingly strong and resilient container. It's shape allows a very thin hard structure to protect it's gooey interior, which does nothing structurally to keep the egg from breaking. If you are unlucky enough to have the egg strike the car on the "pointy" end of the egg (which is undoubtedly the strongest part of the structure), the impact will force the shell chips to make about fifty little paint chip gouges and to crack the surface of your paint. I know this, because this happened to my car last night, when some little punk egged my car, and ruined the finish. This is the second time my car has been egged, and both times the paint was damaged in this way, as well as suffering a large paint-stained area. So I have sent out evil-death-from-boils mojo towards the little snot who egged my car. You are basically a real primo jackass if you egg a car, you are in essence destroying the entire paint job on the car... To the woman whose son egged the car, STOP DEFENDING HIM AND DISCIPLINE HIM. He did it, and is a vandal. Teach him to be responsible for his vandalism, and that he must pay if he chooses to wreck other people's stuff. AND DON'T YOU PAY FOR IT, MOMMY... Make him pay, and then he will LEARN to be a citizen.

Jerzy K deleted
- Los Angeles, California

++++++

My 2005 Black Metallic Jeep Grand Cherokee was egged last night.

This is the 3rd time we have had an egging -- 1st for my Jeep.

The first 2 were on my husband's truck and we haven't noticed any damage. One time it rained during the night which so saved him. There other was on a truck we got rid of so I don't know that it ever hurt the paint.

I realize this was just luck because mine was so much worse.

There was one egged thrown and thrown within 5 - 10 ft of the truck making a hard impact. By the time I saw it in the morning, the white had dried and the yellow was almost dry -- but not baked on. The morning temp was 55'.

So far, I can't see that there is any paint damage. But, the impact of the egg shell made a circle that is about the size of an apricot with several little circles inside. This mix of circles is where the egg chipped off my paint.

I immediately took it to a body shop this morning (within 2 hrs of washing the egg off) to see if they could buff the mix of circles.

No luck the cuts are too deep so I am going to have to pay $400.00 to have my hood repainted. They put some clear stuff on it to buff and said that it made the problem look much worse than they originally thought. The buffing did help a bit, but I can still see the nicks in the paint.

I have a dealer Simoniz treatment on my paint so I wasn't so worried about the paint, but I never thought about the egg shell cutting into the paint.

Egging is basically a harmless act according to my local police department. Just wash it off. If it does damage, just turn it in to the insurance company -- Yeh, great solution to it!

What ever happened to respect? Sorry, just venting. Still greatly upset about the whole thing.

I am curious how the inside of the egg really does affect the paint. What is it in the egg that causes the problem and what is the problem that it creates?

Ang N deleted
- West Frankfort, Illinois

++++++

Someone smashed an egg inside the door of my gas tank and it oozed all down the passenger side of the car. It looked like milk or even ice cream and my kids didn't think anything about it(!). I discovered little bits of egg shell and yolk inside the gas tank door one day filling up my tank. That was when they told me it had been there awhile. We have been having some pretty hot weather and sitting on black top most of the day is even hotter so I figure that egg had been baking on my car for the better part of a week.

Now, I have heard of the horrors of eggs and paint jobs so I got on-line for some advice.The best information was on your site. I decided to start with vinegar and water before I went for MEK / methyl ethyl ketoneamazoninfo. Equal parts water,white vinegar, a soft cloth and elbow grease got the better part of the egg off my metallic green'01 Ford Focus. I don't see any peeling, cracking or discoloration. I don't think this says as much about vinegar as it does the Ford finish on my car! This is the finish I purchased with the car. I never wax or seal the paint. I may just be lucky. If so, I am grateful!

Leslie M deleted
- Morrisville, Pennsylvania

++++++

My car got egged. I just moved into the neighborhood and JUST bought my new Honda Civic LX. It had to have been after 11:30 pm as I hadn't been home until 11 and forgot my cell in my car so I'd gone out around 11:25 or so. I went out to my car for work the following morning to find my entire windshield COVERED in yellow yolk and nasty slimy, my hood chipped up by the sprayer nozzles, and it looks like a 4th egg ricocheted off of one of the nozzles to the top of the windshield where it splattered yolk all over the hood of my car. Luckily, most of the eggshell was gone, and I picked what I could off of the car with my fingers. I had to find an ice scraper in a box in my garage to scrape the thick yolky puss goo off of my window so I could see, and immediately took my car to a pressure wash (20 minutes late for work already). That got about 1/2 of the coating off of my windshield, so I ran it through again and it got most of it off. After doing it by hand in the do it yourself bay, I got all of the gooey stuff off, only to discover the series of 27 tiny chips where the egg had impacted on my hood and cracked my nozzle.

Welcome to the neighborhood, huh?

Luckily, my nozzles are being replaced with chrome/green neon ones to match the rest of the modifications being planned. I just noticed today that there's a spider crack on the front of one of my headlights from an egg, too. Whoever did it is lucky I haven't found out who they are...yet. I did NOT just invest $22K into a vehicle to have it destroyed by someone out on a joyride of vandalism before school starts.

I submitted a police report to find that in my neighborhood, 4 houses have been egged, 3 mailboxes have been garnished with mustard *inside and out* and one mailbox had been thwacked off with a baseball bat.

I have installed 3 security cameras to catch whatever lil did this and I hope they realize I have the money to press charges and make sure they get what's coming to them. And with the backup from my other neighbors, the kid(s) are looking at MONTHS of community service and THOUSANDS in fines. The damage to my hood is approximately $400...plus $29 in car washes, plus roughly $90 I was out from work.

Daniella M deleted
- Reynoldsburg, Ohio

++++++

As a victim of car egging, I can vouch that eggs WILL IN FACT _DESTROY_ PAINT. My brand new 2006 Silverado was egged as well as my wife's Cavalier and LUCKILY I got it all off with minimal damage to my truck. My wife, however, was very unfortunate. It got left on for a few days and it literally ate its way through the paint down to the metal. The paint began to peel off of the car. Eggs are _VERY_ acidic and it's the acid within that eats the paint. Eggs should be left on the car for no more than an hour or two before physical damage begins. I had a special polymer coating on my paint which saved my butt I think. It ate through the polymer coating which bought me some extra time before it hit the actual paint.

After cleaning, WAX YOUR CAR! A wax won't prevent damage, but it will buy you a few precious hours to get it off of your car.

Joshua B deleted
- Omaha, Nebraska

++++++

MY car was egged back in June up where I'm currently at school. They broke the eggs over my car so lucky me, I had no shell damage. They covered the car in egg. The most damage was on the hood of the car. Has a leathery type texture to it. If it doesn't get fixed, mother nature will wear off the clear coat in a year or two. There are spots all over the car. It will cost over 2 grand to fix. Check your state laws of vandalism. First off, get a free estimate at the paint shop. In my case, the people who did this will be fined up to 10 grand and spend 1-5 years in prison if convicted of injury to property in excess of 1,000 in damages. I think it's 400 in California. If you ever find out who egged your cars, press charges. It'll be a lesson they never forget.

Jared S deleted
- Houston, Texas

++++++

Yeah, I just got egged last night. It was a pretty cool temperature this morning (being December), so that may have saved me some time to get it cleaned off. I have a brand new BLACK 2006 Mustang. I haven't noticed any fading...yet. But I do have the tale-tell swirl marks and one tiny chip of paint where the egg smashed into the car. Now I have to pay $300+ for a 10 cent egg being smashed into my car by some half-wit teenager who doesn't understand the damage it can do. There is no thought process for the punks that do this kind of stuff. No thoughts of "Gee, when I get a brand new car, would I be happy if someone eggs it and destroys the paint job?". You think it's funny until it happens to you.

Brian H deleted
- Louisville, Kentucky

++++++

Follow up to my last post.

November 9th I was in a front-end collision, though there was minimal damage to my car. 2 lateral dents in the hood, scratched the hood molding, and jumbled up the front skirting as well as cracked my headlamp casings. No real big deal.

For $100 more than my estimate to fix the darn egg chips, I got new headlights, a new hood, new paint job, and a new front lip/skirting.

Too bad the accident hadn't been a collision with the bastards who egged me in the first place...

Daniella Mdeleted
- Reynoldsburg, Ohio

Quixx Paint Scratch Remover

+++++++

I wanted to add that my RED 05 Subaru WRX just got egged Tonight on Sunday 11 pm Jan 13th as I was driving home. I had just got food from Del Taco, made my turn, and drove maybe 1/2 a mile. I noticed a White or Silverish Van (Couldn't really tell what color it was very dark) Driving slow. All of a sudden "Whack" windshield Full of Egg just smeared. Let me just add that it is FREEZING COLD. The egg became ice within 10 seconds. I used the wipers and it just spread the yolk that wasn't frozen. I "U"-turned to chase the little dimwits that thought they were slick. Sadly I was so dysfunctional and it was so hard to see that I lost track of who was who on the street and lost them. I drove home washed it off with only water and a wet wash cloth. I don't know if its all off because even the water is now ice that I wiped on it and its too dark so I'll have to wait till tomorrow. However I DID notice a pretty bad Scratch of paint with very tiny paint chips around it. I never knew an egg could really chip paint from the impact. Those kids are lucky they got away. Next time they won't be so lucky! And as the guy said above. "MOM" YOU BETTER NOT DEFEND YOUR KID! You better spank him till he's black and blue at the LEAST! Because most people (including myself) would be more than happy to beat down some dumb kid with a baseball bat for throwing an egg. ITS NOT CHEAP TO FIX! SO PARENTS TEACH YOUR STUPID KIDS! AND DISCIPLINE THEM!

I'm so mad, but I can only pray the damage isn't too severe with the stains even though the paint is already chipped. :*(

Dennis Kdeleted
- Las Vegas, Nevada

Use vaseline intensive care lotion to take the stains out of the paint. And please forgive my son and I he was only 12 at the time and we went to get back at someone who egged and Tee-Pee'd us first. However, his friends thought it would be okay to do this to others as well.-Not part of the plan.

Mary Senn
- Rockport, Texas

My four week old 2008 Silverado got hit over Memorial Day weekend. One egg passenger side, didn't realize for half a day. Cleaned up all right with the exception of a 1X1 imperfection of the paint. Kids will be kids (Still doesn't make it right).

Steven Castillo
- Harlngen, Texas

I not only had my SUV egged last night, but they threw nail polish remover and washable paint on it too, its a 2006 XL-7, and my DH Silverado also just got egged, we found it at 9 am, on a day that's supposed to go up to 95 degrees, and we rushed to the car wash, got most off, and no major damage, YET...but did eat into his black vinyl on rear bumper and the side black glossy finish, we are just hoping this does not happen again, as we feel it is a enemy of my daughters, no one else's car got egged, just ours! If I ever find out who did this, I think I'll kick their a**!

Rebeca Olney
- Norristown, Pennsylvania

Can the egg strip away the clear coat and all the layers of auto paint to the bare metal after less than 12 hours? If this is the case, then I think they need to develop a better clear coat and paint.

Additionally, I recently had to pay a hefty sum (almost $1000) to repair a single spot on a Caddy. Sure I was angry, but I would never consider having the kid arrested for it. I am not willing to ruin a kids life over $1000, and anyone who would do that is nothing more than overly angry person who is too quick to judge others. Once a person has been arrested for any reason, it stays with them for the rest of their lives and can affect college entry and later can affect that person getting a good job, and all because someone is pissed off at having their car egged...give me a break.

Thomas Cromwell
- Portland, Oregon

Hi, Thomas. If it's a 10-year old, it's just misguided play. If it's a teenager, his parents should probably make him earn the repair cost. If it's a marauding carload of older teenagers, though, arrest might be the best thing for them!

In my town this spring it started with egg-throwing, but grew to windshield smashing & fender denting as the kids kept needing a bigger thrill. When it got to being a dozen cars damaged each time at $1-$2,000 each, 4 police officers spent their shift undercover for a week before the kids were caught. Now these kids' lives really and truly are wrecked.

Had they been arrested & charged at the egg-throwing stage they'd have received a few hours of community service and sealed records; but now, having done hundreds of thousands of dollars damage with baseball bats and crowbars, "the best years of their lives" will be spent in the hell called a reformatory.

My 99 VW had been recently victimized by a couple of eggs by a prankster. My car was in the garage for the night so it was out of the early morning heat on a cool September morning in the southeast. Needless to say it is a guarantee the eggs damaged the clear finish on my car in less than 8 hours. I even tried a heavy coat of wax to get the haze off, but no cigar. I could only imagine the damage if the car sat all day in the hot sun. So if you are thinking of throwing eggs be prepared to pay for someone's paint job.

Steven J. Aderhold
- Suwanee, Georgia

What a bunch of self righteous individuals who responded. I'm glad there were some useful comments though.

I got after my problem 20 days after it occurred using "Krud Kutter", a wash cloth and my thumbnail. The egg was still slightly soft under the hard outer layer.

Soaked the area with 100% solution then scraped it with my thumbnail, followed by rubbing with the soaked cloth. Rinsed the area with water. Took about 3/4 hr to remove it. Very little residual ghosting on the dark metallic green Mazda paint. Areas where I rubbed particularly hard with the cloth were absolutely clear. The most damage was probably caused by the egg shell itself as there were chip marks where I think it first hit.

John bethke
- Alamosa, Colorado

Krud Kutter

Glad to hear the damage to your car wasn't too severe, John. Thanks for the cleanup procedure.

But you do realize that when you judge people that way you are guilty of exactly the self-righteousness that you are complaining about?

Hi I was arrested and charged with a class a misdemeanor for egging cars with two of my friends. Apparently we broke a side mirror on someone's car. Is this possible when the two cars are going opposite directions both at about thirty five miles an hour?
Another person is claiming that their paint was chipped. It was cold, dark, and showers outside. So would it chip paint in the same situation?

I know what I did was wrong but I want to know if these people really got their side mirror and paint chipped.

Charles E
student - Portland, Oregon

Hi, Charles. Chipping the paint is a "for sure". Breaking a mirror housing sounds a bit unlikely but not impossible, and who can possibly side with the perpetrator over the victim? Suppose you were the victim of a crime and people publicly posted that it couldn't have happened? Accepting responsibility is an important part of being sorry.

I had 2 eggs thrown at brand new car caught within hours washed off but a couple years later the paint peeled and flake right to the primer. it was only a hour or more and they froze but it still did damage.

j. villa
- Grosse Ile, Michigan

I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread. I have had 2 vehicles egged, one, which is my new Silverado, just recently. I didn't realize that I had egg on my new Silverado until late the next day. I panicked as the first time I had been egged on another vehicle, it left deep pitting in the area on my white hood. I assumed this was damage from the shell itself. This time I got the egg washed off, which is really the easy part. It's the chipped and cracked paint that is left behind that is the real problem. Once again, the area where the egg impacted is cracked and chipped. I dread what the repair bill will cost for this 3 inch area on my black fender.

Brian Payne
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I used the vinegar/water mixture today to remove egg from my 2004 Lexus....worked like a charm. That egg has been there since October 2008 (I'm a procrastinator) and not a speck of damage to the paint or clearcoat. I definitely recommend it as your first option.

Tracy McCormick
- Pasadena, Maryland

Well I hope your advice works! I was just awakened from a sound sleep by the neighbors, who heard a noise at 11 pm at night. their house got egged, as well as the pristine 2006 Mustang I purchased LAST SATURDAY! These punks are SO lucky I don't know who they are! Forget not "ruining someone's life" over $1000! I don't care if the advice works and there's no damage--this is vandalism and they should be prosecuted. hopefully there's some bragging going on at the local schools tomorrow.

Barbara Hensley
- Beckley, West Virginia

I got egged at 1:30 A.M. right after when I got off of work. I went home to get cash. 30 min later I went out to go get some late night food and someone used a full carton of eggs on my '97 Jeep which I custom painted myself. I almost want to cry.

Bob Funland
- Rohnert Park, California

Get Your Claim Paid

I just bought a new 2009 Kia Spectra in April and someone egged my car in the night and I woke up to it on the back. It is really only on the bumper..any estimates? What can the 'egg thrower' get as punishment?

Emily Jones
- Hollywood, California

These Egg Thrower punks should be punished big time. My Honda got egged 3 years ago and I let it sit on the car for a month, it took away all the paint(very nasty) left acid like marks on the body. Last night(or this morning) my 08 BMW got egged, I'm so pissed that if I knew who did it, I won't wait on the cops to make a report, I personally take care of these idiot HATERS. An advise to all of you guys, if your car ever get egged wash it immediately, not a day after you see it, but right away. I washed my BMW and clayed it but seems like I can still see the egg drop lines on the bumper, I hate these people. BY the way to paint a bumper or any panels: if you have hook ups it cost about 150 dollars if you don't know the painter they may even quote you 400 for a bumper. DO NOT PAY OVER 200 TO PAINT ANY PANEL IN THE CAR, unless it's some crazy paint that you like. PEACE

todd shak
- Los Angeles California

Detailing Clay

If teenagers learn to appreciate the consequences of their actions (in this case a legally mandated one) then I think they would learn how to act like a responsible citizen and would then grow up to be a contributing member of society.
The whole idea of not letting a 1,000 USD paint job ruin a kid's life is not a matter or judging someone too harshly. The prank is inherently destructive and might evolve to more serious offenses later on.
Now if the someone accidentally drops a tray of eggs over your car out in a supermarket lot that's something else entirely.
The amount of time it takes to resolve the consequences of the act for the victim should take precedence over considerations regarding what would happen to the future of the perpetrator. The perpetrator had a choice. to throw the egg or not. He must therefore be held liable for the choices he made.
Consider what might happen to the victim.
The amount of time taken off from work to fix the damage might factor in his/her career advancement.
I'm pretty sure victims of this prank had better uses for the money they spent fixing their paint jobs.

Christine Dee
- Philippines

I have a 2009 Toyota Corola Sport with Red Metallic paint. The car was egged and was not noticed for several weeks. YUP, the egg covered most of the car, and damaged the paint down to the primer. If I find out who did this, I will take them to court.

MARK WATKINS
- FARMINGTON, New Mexico

Last Saturday night while I was away in Seattle with friends someone threw 2-3 eggs on my 2006 Mustang GT,I didn't notice it till the evening the next day Sunday, slept in late...

well there was no actual damage from the egg residue on the paint, but the rings left behind by the impact of 2 eggs in particular on the front driver side fender just over the GT emblem are there...I took it to a body shop and they couldn't fix it, not without repainting the fender which I won't be doing as of now.

Its not extremely noticeable but I know its there, I never found out who did it, been living here 5 years and never had that happen before.

It was probably a good thing I didn't catch them in the act lol.

its a minor thing in the grand scheme of things...but its annoying specially for people who actually like their cars so have something so small and inexpensive destroy your paint job in seconds.

Jose MG
- Tacoma, Washington

If possible, when you get egged, aim the car at the punks that did it and run them down.
At that point it is collision damage and deductibles are less.
Also you can claim the egg impacts made you lose control. Egging a vehicle in motion is an assault on your life. Treat it as such.

Mark Brown
- Chilliwack, B.C Canada

----
Ed. note: Yes, egging a moving vehicle is dangerous, not just annoying, and should be treated as the serious thing that it is. But we don't think you'd really suggest to a family member that they try to run down the assailants :-)

I just got my car egged; didn't have time yet to remove it. It's the day before Halloween so I'm hoping those little f%$^ers come back for round 2 and they're going for a ride to the cops station then in the following months they're going to have their nose shattered by a mysterious black hooded jogger with fake beard and glasses as he runs past them.

BILL BOB
- TOWNSVILLE, QLD, AUSTRALIA

----
Ed. note: See letter 29067 for more about cars and eggings