How to powder coat chrome?

Gold Touch  J G Nikolas  M and M Metallizing

(2003)

Q. I need to know how to put translucent colors over chrome colors. Do you put the chrome base then bake it, and then put the trans colors? I've tried a couple of different ways but it does not stick, I'm new to this but want to try a little on my own, I would like to start my own powder coating business. ps I need help! I would be so grateful for someone's time. Thanks so much. {confused}!

Pat Welch
- Tooele, Utah, United States

+++

A. Hi, Pat. It isn't clear if this is OEM work where you have an opportunity to specify the shiny finish that is to be on the parts before you coat them or if you are doing work for consumers; and whether this is for outdoor exposure like on cars and motorcycles.

As a rule, you can't paint or powder coat onto chrome. You may be able to strip the chrome off the nickel with muriatic acidamazoninfo (or by light sandblasting), and then powder coat it. It's worth trying on a few test parts. Good luck.

+++++++

I'm getting into powder coating and I'm under the understanding that powder coating is the best as finish that's what I was told . more info would be nice if possible . thank you

Ron Clarin
- Miami, Florida

+++++++

If one finishing method were universally better than any other, nobody would ever do the others :-)

So "best" isn't the perfect term, Ron.

But powder coating is a good looking, robust, corrosion resistant, environmentally friendly finish. It is a much better "entry level" finish than wet paint or electroplating in my estimation because of the reduced regulatory burden. I think you're on the right track! But try to get hold of a couple of books on the subject, and try to see a couple of powder coating and shops if you can. Good luck.

High Performance Powder Coating

I guess something is wrong with the previous answers.
We are doing chrome powder coating rims frequently without any trouble and with great success.
We have experience specially with Ferrari sport cars rims, final results is chrome shiny gloss and beautiful finishing.
We also did it to springs, inlet pipes.
Delmer

Delmer Steer
- Pflugerville, Texas

Hi, Delmer. Thanks for participating. But chrome is a metal: element no. 24 of the periodic table, and it is always applied by electroplating; see our FAQ: Everything You Wanted to Know About Chrome.

There is nothing wrong with "chrome-look" paint or shiny "chrome-look" powder coating; in some applications, like wheels, they may even be better than chrome. But powder coating should not be called chrome. If you keep selling powder coated wheels and calling them "chrome", your customers may start paying you with "gold coins" -- pennies that they've dipped in gold paint :-)

If you carefully read what was asked, he is asking if he could put a coat over "chrome" powder coat. He is not asking about powder coating chromed metal.

K Chaney
- Grand Saline, Texas

Thanks, K, re-reading it I am not fully sure, but I think you're right. Seeing the word "chrome" and a complaint about "it does not stick", and "confused", I probably misread and got confused myself :-)

If you can help with Pat's question, please do!

Hi I know that this is a little late but the dealings that I have had with chrome powders is that they are a two part system where you put the chrome base then bake and then cover with a clear powder, I have never tried to put a translucent over a chrome but it would probably work just set your machine to powder over a powder coat
jack

JACK PRICE
- LOUISIANA