Tarnishing Chain (Making Antique Silver Jewelry Chain)

+++

Q. I am currently an amateur jewelry designer. A couple years ago I purchased a bolt of antique necklace chain. I have recently run out of the chain and I am unable to find a distributor who carries ANY antique chain by the bolt. I was recently told by one such distributor that I can make my own antique chain. Could you please tell me how to tarnish silver jewelry chain?

Thank you for your time.

Kellie Bdeleted
- San Dimas, California, USA

+++++++

A. I just purchased what is called Liver of Sulfur =>

It chemically "ages" your Sterling silver metal (I have heard that it can be used to age Brass and Copper metals as well, though I have never tried it on Brass before). Liver of Sulfur comes in a liquid or a solid that may be dissolved in water. There should be directions included on the jar or container on how to use it; if not you may Google "how to use Liver of Sulfur" and there should be some sites that can tell you. Be aware this is a strong chemical and must be kept out of reach of small children! It is not too expensive, it costs about $12-16 for a jar of 8 oz.

If however, you are not able to purchase Liver of Sulfur or just don't care to spend the money, there is another way to do this. Simply boil an egg! There is sulfur in the egg yolk and it will also age your Silver metal. Simply boil your egg for 10-11 minutes,peel your egg,crush it up and place into a tupperware container with your Silver-keeping the lid closed.I have been advised to shake it up a bit so that the metal coats evenly. If you find that the egg has cooled before your metal has been darkened to the desired color,simply re-heat your egg in the microwave for a minute or so and repeat the process.It can work doing it this way, but it takes a bit longer than darkening it chemically with Liver of Sulfur which darkens the metal instantly.

Hope this helps some!

Alanna Hoban
- Richfield, Minnesota, United States

Liver of Sulphur

Liver Of Sulphur 4 oz. bottle

I thought I might share the link below; I found it while looking for antiquing chains. Hope the link helps all that are looking for this type of info--
www.landofodds.com/store/chains.htm

Cheers.

Susan Timples
- Crestview, Florida

+++++++

! Thanks Alanna. Thanks Susan.

A. Using boiled eggs to antique silver is a fantastic technique. Worked within minutes, and non-toxic. Thanks so much!

Debra Challis
- Richmond, Texas, USA