The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Removal of Epoxy Based Powder Coatings

+++

I had a set of BBS RA light alloy wheels, presumably composed of aluminum and other materials, powder coated with a durable epoxy coating that I would like to remove so that I can revert to the natural alloy color and protect it with some clear coat paint as is commonly practiced by wheel manufacturers. I need suggestions for removal methods (mechanical, chemical, etc.) and specific product referrals where possible.

Rick Van Camp
- Brighton, Michigan