-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Making nickel plating solution

Q. I am trying to re-build the bronze collector rings of an alternator by nickel plating them Very Thick. I am using Nickel-Chloride as my solution. This is "analytical grade" NiCL in powder form. Can anyone tell me the concentration to use to produce a US Quart of solution? Is this chemical acceptable for nickel electroplating? I am quite new at this. Thank You.

Jaun Martines
- San Francisco, California, USA

A. Sorry Jaun, but it's really not even close :-(

Nickel plating solutions like that require nickel sulphate as well as the nickel chloride, plus boric acid, wetting agents, and at least two different classes of proprietary organic brighteners. They're called Watts Nickel solution.

The actual situation is that you don't formulate nickel plating solutions any more than you formulate gasoline--you buy them. Best of luck!

Ted Mooney,

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search