The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Making nickel plating solution

+++

I am trying to re-build the bronze collector rings of an alternator by nickel plating them Very Thick. I am using Nickel-Chloride as my solution. This is "analytical grade" NiCL in powder form. Can anyone tell me the concentration to use to produce a US Quart of solution? Is this chemical acceptable for nickel electroplating? I am quite new at this. Thank You.

Jaun Martines
- San Francisco, California, USA

+++

Sorry Jaun, but it's not even close. Nickel plating solutions like this require nickel sulphate as well as nickel chloride, boric acid, proprietary wetting agents, and two different classes of proprietary organic brighteners. The situation is that you don't formulate nickel plating solutions any more than you formulate gasoline--you buy them.

Ted Mooney