The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

What type of media for sandblasting aluminum prior to powdercoating

+++

I have some aluminum motorcycle parts that will be powdercoated. I am planning of sandblasting the parts. What is the best type and grit of media that should be used.

Sincerely,

Howard Wolek
- Morris Plains, New Jersey, United States

++++

A. Well you should start off with a rough media such as sand or "Black Beauty"[linked by editor to product info at Amazon] , then move to a more fine media such as glass. This ensures your paint will stick to the aluminum's surface with ease instead of peeling.

Nick Cagle
- Galveston, Texas

(2006)

A. Aluminum Oxide is my favorite for doing aluminum parts, but black beauty will work just fine if you use the 30-60 product(extra fine) and keep the pressure low to prevent distortion (read-warpage). I do not use glass beads as this product is not angular, and will only peen the surface, not etch. A uniform etch will provide superior surface area for the powder to adhere.

Eric

Eric A. Tulenko
sandblasting - Clifton, New Jersey