-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Properties of Al Alloy A-356

Q. Sir,

I am doing a project on "Analysis of Aluminium Alloy Wheels". I would like to know the properties of Aluminium Alloy A-356 especially Young's Modulus, Ultimate Stress, Density and Poisson's Ratio.

- Vellore, Tamilnadu, India

A. Properties for Aluminum A356.0-T6, Sand Cast*

Density 2.67 g/cc 0.0965 lb/in
Tensile Strength, Ultimate 234 MPa 33900 psi
Tensile Strength, Yield 165 MPa 23900 psi 0.2% offset
Elongation at Break 3.5 % 3.5 % in 50 mm
Modulus of Elasticity 72.4 GPa 10500 ksi (Tension)
Poisson's Ratio 0.33 0.33

*Tensile strength and elongation values are slightly higher for Aluminum A356.0-T61, Permanent Mold Cast. Data from

Ken Vlach
- Goleta, California honored Ken for his countless helpful
& well researched responses. He 'disappeared' in
2008, never answering our several inquiries about
his situation. But we believe that this is his obit
and would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone
who knew him. Thank you Ken, and rest in peace.

Q. Was wondering the shrink rate of Al 356? I'm sand casting and need the percentage I need to make my model knowing it will shrink In the casting process

Bryan Blaha
skateboard manufacturing - Palos Park, Illinois

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search