Difference between pure silver and sterling silver

+++

Hi, I am very confused. I would like to start a charm bracelet. However, the few silver pieces that I have are a pain to clean. Does sterling silver have to be cleaned like the normal silver pieces? I thought there was a type of silver that did not tarnish.

Sarah Dobbs
- Rockford, Illinois

+++

Dear Sarah, pure silver is soft like lead, and as such, not suitable for charms, cups, chains or much else,because it bends, breaks and stretches too much. For this reason, manufacturing jewelers and silversmiths mix copper with it to give it some strength. A side effect of this is the tarnishing that goes with the inclusion of copper. Answer. Assemble your bracelet then take it all to a silver electroplater and have it all plated in pure silver. I did this with my wife's charms, and they look great. Tend to stay that way too!

Mark Gunn
- NSW, Australia

+++++++

What is the difference between silver and sterling silver?

I recently purchased a pair of silver earrings. They are silver snow flakes with some rhinestones in them but they have no shine whatsoever. Can I get them to shine like some of my sterling silver pieces of jewelry? They would look so much better if they were not so dull.

Please respond.

Dianne Webb
- Milford, Delaware

+++++++

Sterling silver means at least 92.5 percent silver, Dianne; see letter 27488 for more info. "Silver" without any adjective doesn't sound to me like it means anything definite. The lack of shine is probably more an issue of how they were polished (how smooth they are) than the purity of the silver.

I suspect it's possible to polish them with metal polish and a buffing wheel in a Dremelamazoninfo tool, but I don't know if that's really practical for you. Good luck.

+++++++

I was wondering if a solid silver watch is better than a sterling silver?
I have read one of your other questions about a charm bracelet but is it the same for a watch ?

Eleanor Moore
- Leeds, UK

+++++++

As previously mentioned, 'sterling silver' has a specific meaning: an alloy with 92.5 percent silver in it. There is no such thing as 100 percent pure anything, so 'solid silver' cannot mean 100 percent pure silver. So what does it mean? Maybe "4 nines" (99.99% pure)? Maybe not. I suspect that it simply means the item is not silver plated, but has the same composition (92.5%?, 99.9?) all the way through.

The purer the silver gets, the softer and less useable it would be for a watch case. So, to my limited knowledge, the term 'solid silver' has no real meaning -- but I'm not a jeweler and I could be in error.

I have some silver that is light in color and some that looks much like stainless steel.
What is the significance of this difference. The lighter one almost looks like white gold. and like I said, the others are shinier and resemble stainless.
Jennette

Jennette Walsh
- Richmond, Virginia

Hi, Jennette. A true expert might possibly be able to tell the purity of silver from its appearance, but I rather doubt it. After 40 years in the plating industry, not only can I not estimate the purity of the silver plating, there are still occasional items where I can't even say whether they are nickel plated or silver plated :-) Sorry, I think an amateur has no chance of determining much about an item's make-up from just the appearance.

I READ THE EMAILS ABOVE, I DON'T WANT TO SOUND STUPID BUT IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO? DOES ONE OR THE OTHER HAVE MORE SILVER? LIKE GOLD AND THE DIFFERENT KARETS?
THANK YOU

Earl Platt
- West Islip, New York, United States

Hi, Earl

Silver is a semi-precious metal. Although the value of precious metals and semi-precious metals varies, for round numbers figure a pound of silver is worth about as much as an ounce of gold.

Sterling silver is 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent metals of little value. 99.99 percent pure silver would be worth about 99.99/92.5 times as much as sterling silver. But the point that is made above is that when someone just says something is "silver", it would be dicey to assume that they mean it is 100 percent solid silver. "Sterling silver" has a fixed legal and commercial meaning; "silver" doesn't.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STERLING SILVER AND REGULAR SILVER?

KAROL GLAZER
- Baltimore Maryland USA

Hi, Karol,

Can you try to express your question in terms of what has already been said, so that we can better understand where the difficulty lies? Otherwise we just keep pretty much repeating the same answer.

Silver is a semi-precious metallic element. Although it's impossible to have 100% pure anything, silver is readily available 99.9% pure and even purer.

Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver with the other 7.5% of the jewelry probably made of copper or other less expensive metal.

"Regular silver" has no meaning, kemosabe. The Lone Ranger rode a "silver" horse, yet when he shouted "Hi Ho, Silver, away!" he usually caught up with the bad guys, rather than remaining frozen in place on a metal sculpture :-)

You'll never find anything labeled or marked "regular silver". If someone simply says that something is "silver", without any qualifier, I wouldn't trust it to mean anything in particular.

silver horse

Wow, I can't believe how many people ask the same question when they could just read any response and get their answer! I admire your patience with these individuals!

So, I understand the difference between "pure" silver and sterling. If I wanted to sell some, how would the value be ascertained? Is there a way to test unmarked silver to see how much silver vs. alloy metals it contains? Can it be melted down to remove the alloy metals?

If, very hypothetically, silver was selling for $100/ounce and I had exactly one ounce of sterling earrings and necklaces, would I be able to expect $92.50 for it, or is there another way that value is calculated?

I ask these questions because I've never sold jewelry before, and I am worried that I am going to go into a transaction uninformed and come out with a $5 gift card to McDonalds!! Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Bob Smith
- Tampa, Florida

Hi, Bob. Thanks for the kind words.

There are expensive x-ray fluorescence machines and atomic absorption spectrophotometers that can determine silver content exactly and positively, but there are also test acids and test stones which I understand do a good job very inexpensively. See letter 27488 (especially the June 26, 2009 response) and letter 42765. Good luck.

Silver Test Kit

November 22, 2011appended

I am working in an Electroplating industry. We are doing silver plating. We have some rejected parts to strip. So we'd like to strip and recover the silver from the stripped (stripper) solution. So, please tell me a good solution to my question. Thanking you.

Gandhi Govindarasu
Electroplating - Singapore

I thank the author of this page for all the valuable information about silver, sterling silver, silver plating, etc. Your page is very informative and you have been very clear about what sterling silver is. I'm so perplexed about how many people keep asking the very same questions even though you have explained it very clear and simple each time.

To the people that ask about other 'markings' found on inherited items or gifts; Some of this markings could be markings of the designer, artist, country of origin- etc. Sometimes all you need to do is "google" the markings and you'll be surprised how much information you will find.

I have sterling .925 silver jewelry (some new, some very old) and I have noticed nothing happens to it if you bathe or shower with it. In some cases, it might turn a little dark but I clean it-buff it- with a soft cloth and it shines like new again. You should also be able to find silver "polishing" products at your jewelers.

Best Regards,
Leah

Leah Hale
- San Antonio, Texas

Hi, I'm a dental technology student and I'm looking to cast a custom pendant for my sister's birthday with old silver jewelry that my mother has given me for it. Some of the pieces she had she couldn't remember if they were real silver or sterling silver so we just took our best guess and separated them by their colour. My question is would there be any issues if I were to mix the two (silver and sterling silver), or even mix two pieces of silver with different purities? By any issues, I mean any substantial change in the melting range, the appearance or abundant porosity in the cooled metal. I don't know much about the composition of sterling silver, since that's not an alloy used in the oral cavity, and really, silver isn't so popular in restorations either because they do oxidize over time and change the colour of porcelain restorations and can even tattoo the gingiva. Casting in a centrifugal casting well tends to be a one shot deal, so I want to make sure that I don't make any mistakes that could have easily been prevented, like mixing the two alloys.

I hope this wasn't too far over anyone's head and thanks to anyone in advance for taking the time to read this.

Cat Pie
- Toronto, ON, Canada