Natural look for a motorcycle gas tank

+++

I am trying to get a natural steel finish on a motorcycle gas tank. I sanded it to bare metal, wiped down with Prep-all and took care not to touch the surface with my fingers. I cleared over the bare surface with lacquer clear coat. It polished fine, but now seems to be developing what seems to be the beginnings of rust just a week later. Is there anything I can do prior to clearing to prevent this or do I have to use a different method? I'm doing everything myself at home so I'd like to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Dave Cook
- Phoenix, Arizona, USA

+++

Strip it bare and then keep it polished and protected with Nevr-Dullamazoninfo.

Dave Cook
- Phoenix, Arizona

I think you found the best answer, Dave, even if not what you hoped. Steel rusts, and quickly. Auto and cycle manufacturers first phosphatize components, then they electrocoat them, then they paint them several coats. A clearcoat can't offer what it takes to keep steel from rusting in outdoor exposure.