No popups, no spam.
Folks helping folks with
respect.  You'll like it.
  HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsAdvertiseContactForum Letter 19805

The finishing.com Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Obtaining a copy of the AMS 2488 standard

+++

I am looking at anodizing steel and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find an actual copy of the AMS 2488 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] standard. Is there some site on the web where I can print it for free? Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Enz
- Marquette, Michigan

+++

If you are interested in anodizing steel, save your money. AMS 2488 is a standard for anodizing titanium and is copyright-protected, so don't expect it for free.

AMS 2488 : Anodic Treatment - Titanium and Titanium Alloys Solution Ph 13 Or Higher 06-01-2000 Standard "This specification establishes the engineering requirements for producing an electrolytic conversion (anodic) coating on titanium and titanium alloys and the properties of the coating. These coatings have been used typically as a lubricating and anti-galling coating for elevated temperature forming, as an isolating film for increased resistance to galvanic corrosion, to provide improved wear resistance and as a pretreatment for the application of solid film lubricants, but usage is not limited." © 2003 SAE International $59.00 (non-member) http://www.sae.org/servlets/productDetail?PROD_TYP=STD&PROD_CD=AMS2488D

Ken Vlach
- Goleta, California

Finishing.com honored Ken for his countless helpful,
well researched responses. He 'disappeared' in 2008
never answering our several inquiries about his
situation. But we believe that this is his obit, and
would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who
knew him. Rest in peace, Ken. Thank you for your
hard work which we all continue to benefit from.

+++

Rebecca, the sale of AMS documents is one of the ways SAE supports itself. You can get the specification at SAE.org, for $59 ($47.20 for members). Seems like a lot for an 8 page document, but they are copyrighted: so you shouldn't be able to find it for free on the web. Good luck!

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

+++

I just re-read your question- AMS 2488 is "Anodic Treatment - Titanium and Titanium Alloys Solution Ph 13 Or Higher". Steel isn't anodized commercially- at least not intentionally. Which metal are you interested in?

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

+++

AMS 2488 D is a spec for anodizing titanium. I am not aware of any spec or process to anodize steel.

It has been pointed out to me that the spec carries a copyright, so I will not be able to provide it to you.

Sorry.

Jon Quirt
- Minneapolis, Minnesota