-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Procedures for Water Break Test

I would like the procedures for the test method for conducting the Water Break Test. Where can I find the procedures?

Ted Duda
- St Charles, Illinois

It all depends...if you are doing work to a particular specification, such as the MIL specs or the AMS specs used by the aerospace, sometimes (not always)they will give you a method, or specify the "time" for a water break free surface. Same goes, I'm sure, for automotive, medical or whatever (not my particular field). If your requirements are internal or commercial, you may want to refer to ASTM F21 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] and ASTM F22 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] for the "standard" water break and (more sensitive) atomizer tests.

Doug Hahn
- Mason, Ohio

Ted, check out the ASTM standards F21 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet], "Hydrophobic Surface Films by the Atomizer Test", and F22 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet], "Hydrophobic Surface Films by the Water Break Test". Both are found in Volume 15.03, and ASTM is at the obvious website.

Lee Gearhart
East Aurora, New York

check Mil-C-53072 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] B "Chemical Agent Resistant Coating" paragraph
There you will find the procedure for the "Water Break Test".

This test is part of our standard painting procedure.

Klaus P. Henz
- Neuhausen, Switzerland

I need to find information on the water break test. I went to check MIL-C-53072 B "Chemical Agent Resistant Coating" paragraph, but there was no paragraph

Marie Sautrot
- Farnborough, UK

The section is

Tom Sikes
- Mendota Heights, Minnesota

Water Break Test should occur no later than 4 hrs after post blast cleaning. this will include most steel, not aluminum. if the water beads up then your test has failed and you must clean the surface again. if it just rolls off you should be good. if the post blasted equipment sits for more than 6 hrs before a pre treatment (wash primer) is applied you must perform the test again. If it fails, it needs to be re blasted for proper adhesion.

Stephanie Cuellar
- Gatesville, Texas

I have been looking for information regarding the water break test. I have reviewed ASTM F22 but it can be subjective. What I am looking for is if there is a minimum surface area that can be adequately tested and does the surface have to be smooth? What we are doing is to see if there are any contaminants in areas that have been mildly to moderately abraded with 220 grit sandpaper.

Joe Roberts
Engineering - Spokane, Washington

I'm sure there are many ways to describe or codify the water break test, but the basic principle is that you have a surface that is known to be hydrophobic (water doesn't stick to it) when clean, but the presence of various undesirables may allow water to wet the surface instead. (Or vice-versa.) It all has to do with surface tension, chemical composition on the surface, and sometimes also the microscopic physical structure of the surface. All you're really doing though, is asking does water stick to this surface when it is known to be clean, and is it doing the same thing now, regardless of surface area, smoothness, and what have you. It's not necessarily the end-all be-all test of surface cleanliness, but it works well enough for a lot of things.

Q. Water Break Test and Atomizer test -- how do they differ?
Which is recommended for CRCA Strip before 3 microns Nickel plating?
What precautions should be taken while doing Atomiser test?

Chandrasekhar MV

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search