No Pop-ups! No Spam!
HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum  ltr 19039

How to restore antique cook stoves

Moore's Merit Woodstove South Bend Malleable cook stove

Valerie from Glendale CA's
"Moore's Merit"

Bob from from Seattle OR's
"South Bend Malleable"

An ongoing discussion from 2003 through 2015 . . .

(2003)

Q. My mother asks if you have any books on Quincy stove. In the back of the stove is the numbers 43m467 and under that it read oil fire momo gram heater. Do you have any idea what year it was made and any information how to operate it. If so please answer soon as she plans to use this for her house to heat this year.

Brenda H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Canton, South Dakota

Wood stove

(2004)

Q. My husband and I just purchased an older wood burning stove. We are unsure how old it is or if we got a good deal? (We paid $200) When we purchased it, the man told us that it needed to be sealed with a fireproof sealer. (It can come apart and needs some sort of a sealer on the door too) This particular stove has a claw foot style at the bottom with a ash pan and a sliding vent. It has a round belly with a door, then a top piece with a cast iron circle lid on top. I have been unable to find it on the internet to compare prices, or find something out about it. If anyone knows any info. about my stove, I would greatly appreciate it:-)

Teisha L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Tucson, Arizona, USA

(2003)

Q. I am in the same process as you on a old Kalamazoo wood cook stove, what help have you found, and tips on care and where to find parts.

Debbie H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Dinosaur, Colorado

(2003)

A. Hi,

I use Rutland Stove Polish [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. For hot plates and top, Rutland door rope for all the seals, and Krylon BBQ & Stove paint [linked by editor to product info at Amazon].

Have fun.

Kevin N [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania

(2006)

Q. Have you ever heard of the Breakfast stoves made in Pa used in the early 1800s and do you have a picture of one. We found a door with that name and trying to find out info.

M Davis
- Iraan, Texas

(2006)

Q. Hi, am redoing a older wood stove for my teacher, and one of the legs is broken. is there a place that I can find NEW set.

Ethan W [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Milton, Pennsylvania

(2006)

A. You can take broken or duplicate parts to any jobber casting shop (foundry) and have a replacement part cast.

Dave Barr
- Centralia, Washington

(2006)

Q. Beautiful Antique Stove! Please Help Me Find Information! I have been given a small cast iron stove. I'm a new hobbyist and have been restoring this stove for some time. The problem I have come across is that after cleaning the rust off this stove, I cannot find any numbers or name on this. I have been searching the internet and contacting numerous people trying to figure out what I have, so far I have gotten nowhere. To best explain my stove I can only say this: It looks like a cross between a baseburner stove and a parlor stove. The cylinder stands about 20 inches off the base and to best explain it, looks ribbed. The base is square with a small a rectangle vent at the bottom front which I do have an engraved cover for it. Off the front is the tray which comes out approx. 10 inches. The top of the cylinder is a flat ring with an engraved cover for it. The stove and details engraved are all black, there is no signs of ever having any plating on it. The height of this stove is almost 26 to 30 inches tall. I was told that it would have possibly been used as a small heating stove. The stove came with 4 different handles, only one has a number and I am not sure if this would help in any way. If there is any that could help me, I would really appreciate it. I am awaiting photos to put up.

Benjamin R [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
truck driver - Gilbertville, Massachusetts

Q. I have an old wood/coal kitchen range. The plate on the oven door says "Columbian" and it was made in Pennsylvania.does anyone have any knowledge of this. I can find nothing on the net.

Lea Davenport
homeowner - Stillwater, New Jersey

Q. As a small child I remember visiting a neighbor who used a cook stove for heating her home and cooking meals. This lady died many years ago and left the stove to my Mother. If living my Mother would be in her mid-seventies and I am in my early fifties, therefore I feel I have acquired a very old cook stove. My Mother had the stove stored for years, I have now moved it to my house and would like to restore it. The condition is good with very little rust only on one side. My question, Best way to remove the rust and recondition the stove. Will not use for heat or cooking. I will very much appreciate the recommendation of any products. Thank you.

Peggy Sutherland
- Bristol, Virginia

Q. We have a hiking cabin 1 mile up a mountainous rocky Trail in California. Inside is a Moore's "Merit" 4 burner stove with warmer and oven. A while back there was a leak in the roof and it rusted out the sheet metal in the stove.

We still are able to use the stove although it is heavily packed with foil to protect the stove from setting the cabin on fire.

It needs to be fixed and unfortunately no one in their right mind would professionally come out to do it. Needless to say we need to do it our selves. transporting the stove would be next to impossible...

I have a few questions what type of sheet metal is needed to replace the box? does this need to be professionally bent and welded or can it be assembled at the cabin?

Moore's Merit woodstove 2 Moore's Merit woodstove 3 Moore's Merit woodstove 4 Moore's Merit woodstove 5

It will be at least a year before we attempt to tackle this project as I need to get as much info as possible before I start it. I am crafty but not a welder. I read the forum on wood stove repair but didn't see any suggestions for the sheet metal replacement. since the metal is so rusted in spots I am just not sure what gauge and what type of metal I would be using.

If it is not welded together what type of adhesive is used to connect the pieces.
Also what type of bolts would be purchased to replace the riveted bolts on the stove?

Valerie Campbell
Hobbyist/cabin owner of a stove that needs help! - Glendale, California USA

Q. I have a South Bend Malleable Wood Cook stove that is in great condition except for the backsplash piece behind the shelf unit. It was replaced with a piece of sheet metal and painted. The paint is chipping and flaking off.
Is there anyway I can put a reasonable paint job on it that approximates the original and how do I match the paint color that is off white. Is there any place that might have an original piece with original finish.

South Bend Malleable cook stove

Bob Cartano
- Seattle, Washington

To minimize searching and thrashing, and to provide multiple points of view, Finishing.com combined formerly separate threads into the single dialog you are now viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition.

(2007)

Q. Anyone know of any good sites to buy old stove parts?
Tim

Tim Peterson
- Goodlettsville, Tennessee

----
Ed. note: If anyone has names, we'll be pleased to list them. But please don't tell us about about how good they are because we can't print that: it encourages salespeople to post with fictitious names, posing as satisfied customers, gushing with praise :-)
A public forum is too anonymous for testimonials.

(2007)

Q. Purchased at an Estate Auction a Jacobs Manufacturing, Bridgeport, Al wood burning kitchen stove...Model #88-18. Would very much like to have the right hand end shelf that attaches to it. Have been researching this for sometime now and am coming up empty handed. If anyone has any ideas or solutions would greatly appreciate a reply. Thanks!

Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove 2 Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove 3 Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove 4

Carole Lowe
- Burlington, North Carolina

A. TO CAROLE LOWE, I have a Glenwood F iron cook stove, one of the black iron type with nickel trim. It is missing a shelf on one side, and I have visited and written to folks who sell and restore them, but the response is always the same: They have dozens of these shelves, but don't want to part with them. The reason is because they make a lot more money restoring and selling a whole stove than they would if they sold me one shelf.

Erika Donneson
Erika Donneson
- Saco, Maine

A. Hi Carole, hi Erika.

I'm not saying it's dead easy to find the right shop, but a small foundry (maybe even a hobbyist specializing in it) can pretty easily make a replacement casting, especially if you already have one of the item, so a sand pattern can be made directly from it. Good luck.

Q. Hi All, I'm restoring a rusted out Brand Stove Co no 118 industrial kitchen stove that was in a cabin we just bought. It's a double oven with the fire box in between, large old stove. Just can't find much information on this company. All the cast parts are good but I need to replace all the box metals, sides, oven boxes, etc. Its around a 100 years old, guessing, and from a restaurant in San Francisco. Thanks for any help here!

Brand Stove wood stove

Ron Slater
hobbyist - Woodland, California

Q. I live in South Africa and my work recently rented an old farmhouse, which we repaired and cleaned for field staff. In the storeroom we found an old stove. The owner of the farm is not sure, but thinks its about 50 - 60 years old. The brand name is Coronet and apart from the iron bits, it is enameled. The colours are pale green and cream. We took it apart, remove the slight rust with a wire brush and cleaned it. Its back in the farmhouse and I've used it twice. Its chimney at the back is gone, but we placed it under the original hearth chimney of the house. At first it smokes a lot, smoke coming out from underneath the plates - although the plates are in perfect nick.

I don't know if its a coal or gas stove, and the owner can only remember that his mother used wood - how does one determine which it is?

And how can I stop the initial smoking? Both times I've used it for cooking and it cooks beautiful, you just have to start well in advance. Also, I can't find any information on the brand, Coronet. Has anyone heard of it before? The inside of the oven is also enameled. I have to find somewhere in SA to get wood stove polish, so far no one seems to know where one can buy it. I read somewhere that to see the "leaks" one can put a light in the firebox and see where the light leaks out. These then should be fixed with stove or furnace cement - does this sound right to those in the know?

Mel Gardiner
hobbyist - Garies, Northern Cape, South Africa

Q. I didn't see an answer how to fill the gaps on a square stove where the sides don't completely touch. What product similar to "chinking" used for log cabins should I use?

G.D.Clark IV
- Eureka, California

A. For gaps and cracks: Grind and clean, stove cement on inside of crack (clean and wet surfaces first), stove silicone on outside. If crack is structural get it welded or at least JB weld it, unless you want a pile of burning wood in your living room.

Also make sure your cement is rated to at least 1000 degrees. The silicone needs only about 450 because its on the exterior.

L. Jay
- NEK, Vermont

Stove and
Fireplace Mortar

A. Hi, Mel. Warm air rises, creating a very slight vacuum that pulls room air in to replace it. When you have an exhaust flue or chimney, this "warm air rising" in the flue pulls room air in through those gaps around those plates. I think you need to actually connect the stove to the chimney with a length of flue pipe, or at least put a couple of feet of flue pipe on the stove to reduce the smoking.

Hello, G.D., furnace mortar sounds like the fix for those tiny "leaks" =>

Rutland Stove Polish [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] may be available online if not in local stores.

Q. I found an cast iron wood burning stove in Montana, it was in very bad condition(rust) and I wanted to bring it home with plans to clean it up. I want it back in working order. On the way back to California the part that holds on the front legs broke, Can Cast iron be welded at all, and if so how? I don't know anything about this stove except it is a 2 burner with a swinging front door and was made in Holland. It is in very bad condition, if anyone knows anything about the stove or helpful tips on re-finishing please help!

Katie Miller
hobbyist - El Dorado, California

Q. I just bought a Imperial Beaver Wood Stove at an auction; it is in fairly good condition. I'm questioning how do I take it apart? It was used for heat back in the 60's but hasn't been used since then. It is still attached to the pipe in the basement. Does it come apart in pieces or is it one piece?

Christine [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Watsontown Pennsylvania

Q. I just purchased a #15 Sun Oak round wood burner. It has white paint on it and I was going to power wash and burn some wood in it. Some of the pins (to the doors) are broke and some are corroded and seized together. I would really appreciate all suggestions, thanks EMJ

Edward James
- Mansfield, Louisiana, USA

Q. We just bought a Jacobs Cook stove. Very small. The metal tag on back says Jacob's Heater corporation, Athens Alabama. Model # 117 540. We were told it's Wood/coal stove. We would like to buy new fire brick for this and CANNOT seem to find where to get them. Also need a grate shaker handle.
Thanks for any help....it's really appreciated.

Theresa Simms
- Independence, Virginia, USA

Firebrick, pack of 6

A. Hi Theresa. I don't know how much it will help, but fire brick is very easily cut with a concrete saw. I don't see why a homeowner couldn't use a tile saw if it's big enough to accommodate the thickness of the firebrick. Just check that the brick is the right thickness for your stove, and cut to the shape you need. Good luck.

1     2