Black Finish for Stainless Steel

+

RFQ: I produce a product that uses 1/2 stainless steel tube which I think looks great, but my customers want it finished black. Powder coating isn't hard enough to meet my needs. Can anyone lead me to someone who can take small quantities (500 lengths 6", 8", 10" long) and finish them with something similar to a black anodized finish on aluminum.

David Jdeleted
- Vancouver B.C Canada
outdated

+++

I recently ran across this site and thought some of you might be able to help me. I am Mechanical Designer and I am working on a project that requires a Black Finish or Coating for some stainless steel parts. These part are going to be used on an Air Craft Coffee Brewer, so the finish needs to be resistant to corrosion, steam, and chemicals. The parts are bent sheet metal and a shaft with bent sheet metal welded on to form a lever. The shaft will rotate and be installed using nylon bearings, So minimal thickness of any coating or finish is important as well. These parts are highly visible and the appearance is an issue along with the environmental issues. Can you suggest any finish specification that I might look into? Would black oxide hold up over time in such an environment? Or should I look in another direction?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this issue.

Ken Simpson
- Sterling, Virginia

+++

A. Powder coating would work well for your problem its very durable and comes in many colors........

Nathanael Darity
- Cowpens, South Carolina

+++

A. I can suggest black oxide finish. It is not highly durable, however covered with any acceptable clear lacquer can work.

The picture below shows samples from light grey to dark black (can be matte also).

black oxided stainless steel
anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Labs

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

+++

At Anoplate "BLACK IS OUR KNACK." We offer several different blacks from black nickel (actually a rather transparent grey nickel) to black chrome, etc. We'd be glad to furnish samples if you'd ship up actual samples.

Milt Stevenson, Jr.
Anoplate Corp

Syracuse, New York

A. I would suggest you to use titanium colored stainless steel sheets. High wear resistance and durability, several colors and surface finishings available.

Kim Sierra
- Sant Fruitos de Bages, Spain

+++++++

Q. Is black oxide different than bluing as in bluing guns? And if it is, there'll be no thickness added to the parts?

And bluing is also reasonably durable?

Thanks- Write back

Lee King
- Oxon hill, Maryland USA

+++++++

A. Yes, Lee, black oxide and bluing are the same thing. Virtually no thickness will be added. Durability is relative, but yes, it is durable enough for some guns some times. Remember, though, that people tend to treat their rifles and shotguns lovingly, carefully cleaning them after each use, and keeping them oiled. The oil is what provides the corrosion resistance.

Q. Is there a way to blacken S.S that is FDA safe? Please let me know.

Dave Horvath
- Troy, Michigan, USA

A. Hi, Dave.

The titanium coating (PVD process) and the anodizing process sound most promising to me. But please describe your situation as such processes may only be workable for certain shapes of parts, may not be applicable to assemblies, may have limited wear resistance, etc.

A. FDA safe and wear resistant black (bright or matte) finish is available. All shapes and forms can be colored. Black color survives multiple pressure sterilization procedures, and has been tested on surgical instruments.

Contact us for more information.

anna_berkovich Anna Berkovich
Russamer Labs
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Q. Does a patinated black finish on stainless steel rust over time if it is outside?

Jessica Adams
- Boulder, Colorado, USA

Q. I also have a request for a black finish of stainless steel. The black finish is required for the purposes of minimising reflectance of the part in a specific zone. Additional requirements are that the part must be non magnetic. Tolerances for the part are very tight which likely places some restrictions on any high temperature process. A repeatable production process is required and the present proposal of locally sandblasting and painting is not acceptable for manufacturing. I am looking for alternative recommendations for finishing or plating that we can then prototype and test.

Gareth Chaffer
- Bern, Switzerland
contact

A. I think Black anodizing will stand the high temperatures, but not sure for how long.

Contact me directly, and I will send you few samples for testing. There is no rusting over time. The magnetic quality is the same as original material - so if you black anodize 316 ss, then it will be non-magnetic. Do you need bright or matte? See the photo of both options.

19006_2

anna_berkovich Anna Berkovich
Russamer Labs
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

A. We color stainless steel black using an electro-chemical process. The coating is bio-compatible and will not build up the surface.

Adv.
Please feel free to contact me regarding your needs.

Bob Bramson
B&M Finishers / Prismatic Stainless Steel

Kenilworth, New Jersey

A. Gareth

Have you considered a laser mark/etch process?

Willie Alexander
- Colorado Springs, Colorado

Q. Hi:

My first post, so please excuse any mistakes.

I was never knew that stainless steel could even be anodized. I was under the impression that process was exclusive to aluminum alloys. Can someone elaborate a little, please?

Doug Nash
- Los Angeles, California, USA

A. Hi Doug.

In a limited sense, your understanding is fairly correct. Anodizing is a process applied to aluminum alloys, which builds a honeycomb-like ceramic coating on the surface, which can be filled with dyes and sealed. Aluminum alloys are the only metals to which that sort of anodizing process applies as far as I know. However, other metals like titanium and stainless steel can be beneficially made anodic in an electrochemical vat, so the process is still validly called "anodizing". But the coloration that it offers is courtesy of a very thin diffraction layer -- it is not a honeycomb filled with dye like anodized aluminum.

December 3, 2012appended

Q. Hello there, I have a stainless steel bolt action rifle, the barrel and the receiver are made out of SS. Strictly for cosmetics, I would the have it finished in a black color, much like one would "blue" a chrome molly rifle. what would work? Durability and weather resistance is not a priority, unlike a hunting rifle, rifle is intended for bench rest use.
However, ease of maintenance would be a plus. different options and finish results and looks would be useful. Thanks,

Douglas Rome
- Elburn, Illinois, USA