Cleaning gold plated flatware

++

I was just given a set of gold plated flatware and I was wondering how to clean it if it is ever used for eating purposes. I do not have a dishwasher, but I would like some advice of what dish soap to use or whatever works. I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me advice on this.

Thank You,

Charity Gdeleted
- Bethany, Oklahoma

+++++

What was the answer to the cleaning gold plated flatware question?

William Mdeleted
- Fairborn, Ohio

Ed. note: Hello William. If anyone offers a reply we'll print it. However, there tends to be duplication on this subject, and letters 5625, 6773, and 7137 may be helpful.

++++++

My Husband put my Goldplated silverware in the dish washer. When they can out they were very discolored. I'm afraid they I will never be able to get them back to their shiny gold color. What do I do?

Ivonne Mayberry
Housewife - Westerville, Ohio

++++++

In response to cleaning gold plated flatware, I have had the same problem finding an answer. Everybody I know who owns a set puts it in the dishwasher and it is fine or hand washes it. The most important thing is to dry it due to spotting. They also said it was easier to maintain than silverware. Don't quote me this is just from other friends' experience.

Susie Mack
- Kent, England

+++++++

I hope this helps someone. Gold plated flatware should NEVER be put in a dishwasher. If it's true gold plating over silver plate or sterling the best way to clean it is to wash it by hand using warm water and mild soap and then, if it isn't shiny enough, take a small amount of baking sodaamazoninfo on a damp and very soft cloth or sponge and gently rub the flatware. This will brighten the gold without undo wear. The key is gentle. Even with baking soda if you rub too hard you can scratch the gold surface.

K.P. O'Neil
- Santa Monica, California

I gave my sister some gold plated flatware and it is being marked by the box. Where the knives fit into the upper lid they are darker on the tips. So I am looking for some cloth that I could make slotted holders of, such as pacific cloth is used to preserve silver. Is there a cloth specifically intended with the "gold"? Or would the silver pacific cloth be ok?

Betty Sanders
- Rosanky, Texas

Hi, Betty. Pure 24 karat gold cannot tarnish, and the gold plating is probably quite close to 24 karat. So pacific cloth may not be necessary, but it shouldn't hurt, and it will stop the scuffing.

Pacific Silvercloth

May 3, 2011appended

Hi, Don't know if you will answer this question or not, but perhaps you can help me.
I have inherited some antique Tiffany flatware, gold plated over sterling silver(very heavy).
I would like to know if this will tarnish if left in the air, or should I put it in protective silver cloth bags??

Thank you. Barbara.

Barbara Findlay
Home owner - Farmington Connecticut, USA

Hi, Barbara.

Pure 24k gold cannot tarnish, and this gold plating is probably close to 24K. It does, however, have to be quite thick to have zero porosity (through which air can attack the underlying silver). The flatware can also scratch and lose its nice polished look, so I think some sort of cloth or bag would be a good idea anyway.