Painting PVC Pipe

++

I build PVC kayak and canoe carts. It is virtually impossible to find the piping in different colors such as red or yellow or orange. What can I use to paint the PVC piping and make it last? Can I buy the materials at a retail outlet?

Eric A deleted
- St Petersburg Beach, Florida

++

Hi Eric,

You can buy red PVC pipe. It's made by Trovidur ... and probably only available from Germany. In ye olden days the French used to have blue PVC, the Italians white, the English green ... that was for sheets, am not sure about piping.

To paint PVC ask yourself a question. How does one 'glue' it? What will make it adhere to itself? Well, as you know, PVC cements are made using Duponts THF ... an aromatic hydrocarbon.

So the only paints you could use would be those that can 'attack' the PVC. And they are? Ah, lacquers ... and not the standard paints at all. OK? ... and to get a good bond, you MUST preclean very well. And to get a better bond even still, abrade with Sandpaper [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] to increase the surface area..

Heck .. an idea .. get some colourless THF and add (if it's miscible) some colourant to it. Stinks like hell. Dries very fast. Super bond. Expensive!

freeman newton portrait Freeman Newton
- White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
freeman newton died

++

I can't help with your paint problem. But perhaps I can explain why PVC pipe is difficult to obtain in varied colours. In Britain it is colour coded, yellow for gas supply, green I think is water etc. It's important to use the correct sort, so the colour is important, hence the lack of choice. Maybe you should reconsider your choice of material.

Ian Brooke
university - Glasgow, Scotland

+++

I have painted 2" PVC pipe with Rust-Oleum (Gold Gloss) and it has worked well. The paint has come off only where it's been scraped up against something hard like when I've dropped it or was carrying it in the house and it scraped up against the bricks. I didn't use any primer or any preparation before painting so in a nut shell YES it can be painted. I'm currently working on a 16" Reflector telescope and making the "tube" out of PVC. I'm lightly sanding the PVC then I will primer it with an automotive primer then I'll let it cure for a week and paint it. The inside will be Flat Black and the outside will be Gloss Black and it will have graphic designs painted on it.

Cheers,

Brian G deleted
- Clovis, New Mexico

++++

First off, NOTHING ever really sticks to PVC except the glues/cements made to do so. Whatever you get to stick will ALWAYS come off if it's hit against or scraped upon by anything harder than itself, so when you slide the kayak on it, it'll probably scratch off.

But if you're determined, you could try this: Use a regular PVC Pipe Cleaner, followed by a plastic adhesion helper by the automotive paint co. PPG which comes RTS or "ready to spray". If you want to try a cheaper method, use the Purple Primer available from any hardware or plumbing supply. Then, try to paint it with something with a high amount of solvents (lacquer is good, but I think not durable enough for you...) preferably an automotive urethane type of paint which is harder to scratch off. Going cheap try rust-oleum enamels sprayed on and thinned with Acetoneamazoninfo (by about 15%).

Also, Krylon now makes a spray can formula for plastics called FUSION =>

Hope it helps, but like I said, ANYTHING scratches off if it's hit with something harder than itself.

Martin Cdeleted
- Pompano Beach, Florida USA

Krylon Fusion

++++

Funny I found this site.

I am going to use PVC pipe for table legs believe it or not.

I have the solution to your problem.

I am sanding the PVC, then layering an epoxy on it, then sanding again...then, you paint. the epoxy bonds to the PVC and you don't need to worry about paint sticking to the PVC because it will be coated on the epoxy.

If you want to make it so that your paint won't ever come off...layer another thin epoxy coating over the paint. :-)

Work yes, but your only solution.

Craig D deleted
- Canada

++++

We've been building robots of PVC for many years. The only paint we've found satisfactory for long term use is Krylon Interior/Exterior Spray Paint. This paint works BETTER than their new Fusion Plastic paint and better than Rustoleum's new Plastic paint as well. While Rustoleum general purpose paint is a close second, it remains slightly tacky to the touch for some time. Our only problem is that Krylon discontinued our preferred color -

David J deleted
- Dallas, Texas USA

+++++

Thank you to everyone for your helpful comments on painting PVC. J.

John C deleted
- Washington, DC

+++++++

Try Bulldog Tie Coatamazoninfo. It is inexpensive. It is clear and sticks to anything. Then you paint over it. Hope this helps.

Jim L deleted
- Sterling Heights, Michigan

+++++++

I believe the active ingredient in PVC Pipe primer is MEK / methyl ethyl ketoneamazoninfo. Nasty stuff to work with. Wear protective glovesamazoninfo for working with chemical solvents. Also a solvent for fiberglass resin clean up.

So if you're going to use PVC Pipe primer, buy MEK / methyl ethyl ketoneamazoninfo. Much cheaper.

I use MEK for pipe primer with clear glue in sensitive areas when plumbing so spills are invisible

Gilbert Karwyck
- Half Moon Bay, California, USA

MEK is not a primer, it is a chemical used for resins/epoxies to make them react.

Brandon Phillips
- cocoa Florida

Hi, Brandon. True it's not a primer in the sense of an initial coat of paint; but it is a primer in other senses. As Gilbert notes, MEK is a key ingredient in "purple primer" for socket welding PVC pipe; and he apparently has been successful in using straight MEK as the primer in lieu of the usual mixture of MEK, acetone, and tetrahydrofuran.

"

MEK is not a primer, it is a chemical used for resins/epoxies to make them react
".

THIS STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE. MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a solvent and not a catalyst. However, MEKP or Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide is a catalyst for polyester resins and paints.

MEK IS the active solvent in all PVC glues and will work as a primer for paint when sprayed through a paint gun right before the base coat. The paint used should be a catalyzed polyester resin sprayed through a paint gun. This paint will provide a much better bond to the PVC because it essentially melts the surface of PVC and becomes part of the PVC material itself.

Bob Saget
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Sems etch primer over the pvc, after cleaning, then paint over the primer, it will stay on. Plastic bumpers used to be primed with etch primer before painting, holds up very well. Eleven years in automotive body repair, and painting.

Troy Hulbert
autobody painter - Sheffield, Vermont

C&S Plastics makes a variety of solid wall, pre colored furniture grade pvc including red, yellow, orange, green, violet, blue.

don millman
- winter haven, Florida usa

Self-etching primer

PVC STAIN DYES CAN BE OBTAINED FROM NARAD MARKETING CORPORATION.

N.PERSAD
- CLIFTON New Jersey USA

great website with a simple "how to":
makeprojects.com/pdf/make/guide_296_en.pdf

David Dies
- Shreveport, Louisiana, USA

Prolux Paint is especially formulated for PVC. They are a company in Quebec Canada.

Chris Scott
- Beaverton, Oregon, USA