Cleaning bronze grave markers

++

Q. I am trying to find a cleaner for American Legion grave markers that have turned almost black from the weather.

Gilbert Tdeleted
- Dudley, Massachusetts

++++

Q. My mother's grave marker is made of copper, it looks kind of bad from weather, water etc. Can you tell me if Wright's Copper Creamamazoninfo is ok to use? It is tarnished from wind, rain, weather, etc.

Louis Russell
- Boise, Idaho

++++

Q. I am trying to refinish my brother's bronze name-marker on his grave. It has had a coat of some type of paint put on it in the past and I've used Acetoneamazoninfo to remove most of that ... still trying to get it all cleaned off. I want to know how to get the dark glossy color back to the finish. Do I paint this again with another type of paint or is there a special finish I can use to achieve this?

KEN WILES
TROOPER - DELAND, FLORIDA

++++++

Q. I would like to refinish or clean my parents' bronze grave marker. It is almost 30 years old. The cemetery office claims there's no product available in Hawaii.

Ellen Yamamura
- Haiku, Hawaii

+++++++

Q. What do you use to clean bronze cemetery markers. I am told at the funeral home, nothing will clean it ,has to be refinished. Very expensive! Hope someone can give me a method. Markers are over 30 years old. Thanks for any help.

Jeannie Boring
- Houston, Texas

Q. We have a bronze grave marker for our son. It is 5 years old. It has some sort of corrosion on it that looks like cement and is not the sort of corrosion described in the on-line info I have read. This is very distressing and we can't figure out what to clean it with. Can some one give me some help?

Carol Norton
consumer - Summerfield, Florida

Ed. note: There are a lot of questions without answers on this thread, but perhaps it's because the responders have wearied? This question is repetitive of previously asked and answered questions, so you might give a look to:
    Letter 21436 "Removing oxidation from bronze",
    Letter 22020 "Cleaning a military bronze cemetery plaque".

A. These bronze markers CAN be refinished so the lettering is bright and the background is restored to its original brown color, by shipping them back to the manufacturer, or many monument companies also offer the same service. Cost will run $150 to $200 for a single 2x1 foot marker. My cemetery offers the service in Danvers, MA

You can CLEAN them with any bronze cleaner, but do NOT use a steel brush

David P. McKenna
- Danvers, Massachusetts

A. There is a local company that refinishes bronze markers if you get a hold of someone in the headstone field they can help you.

Gregg Smith
- Emmett, Idaho

A. I WORK AT A CEMETERY, BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS 19 YEARS. MY COMPANY REFINISHES GRAVE MARKERS ALL THE TIME. I HAVE SEEN SOME OF THE OLDEST MARKERS LOOK BETTER THAN NEW WHEN DONE CORRECTLY! IT IS A TIME CONSUMING PROCESS IT IS BETTER TO LET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING REFINISH YOUR MARKER. IT IS ONLY A FRACTION OF THE COST FOR A NEW ONE AND WILL LOOK AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN NEW.

steven%20samples Steven Samples
- Athens, Georgia

A. There is all sorts of info on cleaning bronze in-ground markers. Some say it is difficult and others give wrong info. The markers are NEVER so bad we cannot make them look like new and so can you. We clean and restore these markers daily. Some of our customers are older seniors and cannot take care of their markers. We advertise in our area "we clean" or will help you perform the task yourself. We only want the cemeteries to restore their honor to the past family lying in rest. It is the right thing to do.

Lucy Cook
gravestone cleaning - Youngstown, Florida, USA
18056

----
Ed. note: Lucy offers some detailed advise about how to do-it-yourself on the previously mentioned Letter 21436.