Removing Teflon non-stick coating from Visions and Pyrex Glass Cookware

Disambiguation:
   Letter 34155, "Removing Teflon non-stick coating from [METAL] pots & pans"

+++++

Q. I have teflon-coated pyrex dishes and the Teflon is chipped. How do I remove all of the remaining Teflon?

Jennifer Leach
- St. Michael, Barbados

Q. I have the same problem as Jennifer. Have a pyrex saucepan with Teflon coating on the bottom. Love pyrex, hate Teflon. Any way that I can remove it without damaging the pyrex surface beneath it?

Holle Cole
- Beaumont, Texas

++

A. Most people want to keep Teflon on their pans as it stops food sticking to the metal. The usual complaint about Teflon is that it comes off when scrubbed with a very abrasive scourer, so you could do that. Depending how good the Teflon was put on, you may be able to remove it by sand blasting the pan, but this may also damage the inside of the pan. However, removing the PTFE may well adversely affect the performance of the pans, so perhaps you will be better off getting some good old cast iron pans with no Teflon (or PTFE as it is also known)

++

Q. I would like to remove the Teflon coating from some Visions cookware I have. I like the cookware, but not the Teflon. Is there any way to remove Teflon from Visions cookware?

Brenda W deleted
- Nacogdoches, Texas

+++

Q. We love Visions cookware but hate the Teflon coating... The fumes from overheated Teflon can kill house pets, specifically birds! Do NOT risk overheating teflon-coated pans if you have birds in the house!

Pat B deleted
- Portland, Oregon

Visions Cookware Set

++++

Q. Is there a solvent that will remove Teflon coating from glass cookware? I am afraid to try to sandblast it off for fear of scratching the surface and I don't think burning it off with a propane torch would get it off completely. Does any one know of a method that works?

Todd Kirk Webster
- Gainesville, Florida

++++

A. DON'T use a torch! One of the breakdown products of at least some Teflons is a gas called phosgene (chemical formula COCl2). It was used as a nerve gas in WW I. NASA discovered this many years ago when electronic assembly people were getting ill. They were using thermal wire strippers on Teflon-coated wire and the fumes were making them ill. More recently, it has been noted that if you have a pet bird, don't use Teflon-coated cookware anywhere near it. It seems that birds (especially the larger ones like Parrots, etc.) are particularly sensitive to the decomposition products and will quite readily die. Now that I haven't answered your question, I hope someone does, I'm curious too.

Tom Gallant
- Long Beach, California

Readers may be interested in Letter 25685,
"Will poisonous gases from Teflon kill my parrots?"

+++++

A. Hi:
I let some soap I was making stand in a Visions pan for a couple days and the Teflon loosened and came out easily.
I'm thinking that the lye in the soap is what did it; you could try lye and water. Be careful; lye and water create heat!

Larry H deleted
- Kokomo, Indiana

++++++

Q. Regarding Teflon stuck to glass. I know of many people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome who are sensitive to Teflon that causes all sorts of symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting, memory and cognitive impairment. I too suffer with this condition and have got a Teflon coated Vision glass set and need to remove the Teflon without damaging the glass. If the Lye in soap is the main ingredient that removes the Teflon, can someone with this experience confirm this outcome.

Jonathan W deleted
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

+++++++

thumbsup2Thanks for the help in removing Teflon from Visions cookware. I could not find a source for Lye, except online, so I tried Draino, since it seemed to have the same properties described. And it worked! Except there is still a surface that seems etched on the inside bottom of the pan. The Teflon came off in one piece after a few days soaking in straight Draino gel-type.

Susan F deleted
- Glen Ellyn, Illinois

Pure Lye

A. Guys, I took the hard way....but started with spraying a coating of Easy-Off, which I think contains lye. After waiting impatiently (what can I say? I'm just that way by nature) for a half hour or so, I started scraping the teflon off with a decal-remover/scraper (kind that uses single-edged razor blades), scrubbing the item (oh, yeah, I forgot to say: it's a 4.5 liter Corning Visions dutch oven) with a small steel wire brush (three in a pack at the hardware store) and it came off without too much elbow grease. As someone else observed, the glass surface revealed under the teflon is textured, like acid-etched glass, and will not clean quite as easily as the smooth surface of the rest of the dutch oven. However, it's worth it to get rid of the Teflon (I bought the item for a dollar at a yard sale!)

Terry Ford
- Boise, Idaho, USA

++++appended

My question regards removing a Teflon layer from the bottom inside of a Visions Pyroceramic Pyrex pot. I've had Sulfuric Acid and HF advised, but am not sure. In the meantime, I've scraped the majority off with the side of a spoon, but would like to make sure that every remnant of Teflon is dissolved, etc. I need my pot to be free of any potential contaminant to test an old alchemical procedure involving a wide range of pH fluctuation, from 2 up to the potential Gilcrest precipitate. I hope this is enough info ... to say the least it is a sincere and genuine query. thank you, Jim

Jim Rigenbaur
hobbyist - San Jose, California

++++

A. Teflon is an inert material and won't interfere in your pH range tests. So please don't waste time in removing Teflon

dineshdeleted
- Chennai India

++++

A. Try to use burner.

Marlon L. Cordez
- Sta rosa, Laguna, Philippines

++++

A. By the way you can try to burn out the coating or clean it by mechanical grit blasting. To do not affect the Pyrex glass, you can blast with plastics bullets or other organics low abrasives materials.

Good luck

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, SPAIN