How to paint an antique brass chandelier black?

++

I want to paint my chandelier (which currently has an antiqued brass finish) black and I would like some advise on how to do it. Can I just spray paint over it? Do I need to prep it by sanding with steel wool? Thanks for any help!

Barbara Adeleted
- Newbury Park, California

+++

I would like to know if I can paint my brass chandelier. I did see that others had posted the same question. How do I see what the responses were? Thank you.

Terri Cdeleted
wholesale distribution - Joliet, Illinois, USA

+++

Although it's hard to get paint to adhere to brass, usually a Self-Etching Primeramazoninfo will work, Terri.

Yes, more people want help than volunteer it, so some questions go unanswered for a while. But usually the questions are repetitive and have been answered already if you are patient with the search engine.

Sometimes people may be motivated to answer your question if you take the time to post a picture of the item, or the history of the item, or why it's important to you. Good luck!

++++

The house that we just bought came with a green colored metal chandelier in the dining room. It is still in good condition and I like to keep it, however the color does not go with my decor. Can I refinish it to bronze and how? On a closer look at it, I think it was at one time bronze that has been painted over.

Manisa Gdeleted
project - Phoenix, Arizona, USA

++++

Try this web page: www.diynet.com/diy/ll_chandeliers/article/0,2041,DIY_14048_2270201,00.html

Cherie Kelly
- St. Louis, Missouri

Ed. note: Thanks, Cherie. Set your pop-ups blocker first though.

++++++

Thank you for posting this web address! I am going to try mine today. Thank you for helping me save time by the needless hours spent on search engines.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Cdeleted
- Midland Park, New Jersey

++++++

Chandeliers are quite easy to repaint another color whether it's brass or another finish. First you must clean and dry the piece. Stuff the bulb sockets with "scrunched up" paper towels to avoid paint getting into the sockets. Next, you spray to cover the chandelier with a primer and when dry, you look for rough spots and smooth them out with a fine sandpaper or steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler]. Primer again to cover. when primer is completely dry (about 2-4 hours), you can paint with any colour of water based paint. You may apply several layers of paint, making certain it dries in between sprays. Wait 24 hours, then apply a light coat of paint sealer. Semi gloss or flat is a great finish for a clean, professional look.
If you would like the shabby chic look, you can sand the paint on the chandelier before spraying with a sealer. Hang and enjoy!

Corinne Marie
Lani's Floral Designs - Rowland Heights, California

I found a thread on painting chandeliers when I Googled the topic at this URL: community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2151912904/m/4251036

E. Barrett
- Washington, DC USA