Tin coating of copper wire by hot dip process

++

Q. Dear sir,

I want to know full tin coating by hot-dip process to copper wires. It should be bright tin coating. What to do for getting brightness of tin coating on copper wire. Please describe preparation of bath, pre cleaning and post cleaning. Your reply is awaited.

Thanking you regards,

Venkatesha
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

++

A. You probably need to bright dip the wire, and clean and flux it before tin dipping. I imagine you will need to reflow the tin after dipping, and a chromate anti-tarnish step might not be uncommon.

Mr. Venkatesha, we thank you for visiting finishing.com, and we don't want to give you a hard time ... still, you have asked a series of very broad general questions that could fill a textbook. No one can write such a book for you in reply.

So please see if the tin associations have any booklets available that will help you get started. And visit a hot dip tinning shop. And talk to the equipment suppliers about the treatment cycles. Try to get a book or two about hot tin dipping if you can. Good luck.

Galvanizing and Tinning:
A Practical Treatise on the Coating
of Metal With Zinc and Tin by the Hot
Dipping, Electro Galvanizing, Sherardizing and
... Installation and Equipment of Plants

++++++

Q. Dear sir,
I would be highly obliged if you could tell me the standard thickness of tin coated copper wire for industrial purposes and also how to check whether a manufacturer is abiding by the standard.
awaiting your reply.
thanking you,

Animesh Agarwal
wires - New Delhi

A. Hi, Animesh.

I could easily be in error, but I don't think there is any one particular "standard thickness for tin coated wire for industrial purposes". But you can measure the thickness a few different ways including x-ray fluorescence for thin deposits and a caliper for thicker ones.

Wire is often drawn to thinner diameters, rather than being plated at final diameter, and this could lead to different plating thicknesses depending on the draw-down ratio. Good luck.