Sodium metasilicate - is it a cleaning agent?

++

Q. Would sodium metasilicate be a recommended product as a cleaning agent for PVC (as an vinyl awning cleaner)?

Pat Braithwaite
- Langley, B.C., Canada

++

A. Sodium metasilicate is not a cleaning agent by itself. It is a VERY strong base. The pH of a 1% aqueous solution is about 13. In moist air it is corrosive to metals like zinc, aluminium, tin and lead, forming hydrogen gas. As a strong base, it reacts violently with acids. A major use is as a builder (a material that enhances or maintains the cleaning efficiency of a surfactant, principally by inactivating water hardness) in soaps and detergents.

It may be used as part of a component in a chemical degreaser, where it would react with fatty acids(animal grease) to form a soap, which is then rinsed away.

Sodium silicate, on the other hand, is an abrasive white powder frequently used in things like toothpaste. It doesn't clean by itself either.

Not something I would recommend for household use.

Robert Zonis
- Havre de Grace, Maryland

Advanced Cleaning Product Formulations

A. In my experience, Sodium Metasilicate is [truly] an excellent cleaning agent. I cannot state with certainty if it will clean PVC [proviso] "without damage to its applied surfaces". I would not hesitate in testing though to satisfy my curiosity or need. It would seem to me that simple laundry detergent or that of an equal grade would be sufficient for the application originally queried (awning exterior).

You see, PVC or ABS plastics have a propensity to deteriorate under the sun's UV rays. In my applications, it is used as part of a process to vitally and thoroughly clean ferrous metal, typically after sand-blasting, finish removal, or acid pickling etc.

The manner in which I use it, the water is heated to and stabilized at a temperature of 180F then mixed at a ratio of 4-5 oz's per gallon of water. (by the way-I use a filtration system which removes sediment, minerals, bacteria and finally deionizes the water).

This agent may be acquired as a liquid or powder. I prefer the powder (white crystal-like in composition).

As with all specialized cleaning operations, SAFETY is key! Adapt or elect a safety protocol before using this agent as this solution is a VERY STRONG alkaline! You may elect to follow safety protocols outlined in documentation such as OSHA guidelines (i.e. safety procedures for the handling of this powder, liquid or solution; exposure(s), first aid etc). Protect yourself and those around you. Alkaline burns are dangerous as well as very injurious.

Alex

Alex Szabo
- Jacksonville Florida

++++++

Q. It seemed that there may be some concern about using sodium silicate as a cleaner in your response to another question; what is the concern, its abrasive properties or what?

Thanks, Larry

Lawrence Scrima
- Aurora, Colorado

++++++

Q. Where can I buy water glass (sodium silicate)?

Ariel Alepuz
- Miami, Florida

A. Hi Ariel.

This advertising link gives you one source, and tells you what sodium silicate is, and its uses =>

You can google for many other sources. If you are interested in reviews, most such products on Amazon have user reviews attached.

This forum is for technical discussions and we don't cover sourcing and they make it difficut to maintain the spirit of cooperation & camaraderie we're aiming for. Each salesperson naturally thinks their product is better than the one previously mentioned, and describes his glowingly while trashing the others -- sometimes even by using a fictitious name and posing as a satisfied user :-)  Apologies.

Sodium Silicate

Q. OK, I can clean iron with Sodium Meta Silicate in my emulsifier solution but it rusts within hours. Tried a phosphate with no joy? Any ideas which is the best to use?

Zak Johnston
cleaners and adhesives - Birmingham, West Midlands, UK

A. I bought a TSP hard surface cleaner.

It contains Sodium Meta-Silicate and Phosphate. I am going to add it to my dishwasher because my glasses have a cloudy like stain. Most Dishwashing products had to remove Phosphate per State law I think 36 states banned its use.

Charlie Davis
- Tampa, Florida

A. To Charlie Davis comment:
Based on an experience with a customer complaint about municipal water, make sure that what you are trying to remove is a film of residue and not etched glass. Some combinations of dishwashers and detergents permanently etch glassware and changing cleaners won't help

Frank Skee
- High Point North Carolina US

Lundmark TSP

Q. I have used a sodium metasilicate-based cleaner for 7 years. My container is nearly empty. It has worked effectively on ceramic tile, cement-based tiles, vinyl and aluminum siding and removes stains from carpet textiles, including nylon, polyester and acrylic, quite thoroughly. I first used it to remove salt and road dirt from my car's floor mats. I recommend it as a safe and effective home cleaner.

Follow the directions exactly on the package to make it mild, medium or heavy-duty strength, mixed with a specified amount of water. Use it outdoors or in a well-ventilated area (turn on some electric fans and open the doors / windows if using indoors).

I always wear rubber gloves when mixing and applying it mixed with the appropriate amount of hot water, according to the package directions. I use a wide-head bristle brush with a short handle to apply it to carpet fibres, tile and siding. Scrub till a slight foam appears, rinse with clear water and allow to dry. When cleaning carpet fibres, vacuum up the water with a shop vac or blot up well with old towels.

In the many years I have used this sodium metasilicate cleaner, I have never had any problem from fumes from the product, or with damage to any material or textile I used it on as a cleaner. However, that brand is no longer produced or available for sale in North America, so I am looking for an equally safe and manageable substitute.

Carol Shetler
- Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA

A. Look for another brand with as close to matching ingredients as you can find, Carol. Or you can look to Amazon for product reviews. Sorry our forum focuses on technology rather than sourcing, and we don't do testimonials here :-(

Q. Hi i was looking up sodium metasilicate regards to cleaning Macrocarpa timber boards or Cedar weather boards. Any info will be appreciated. --Chris

Chris Boyes
- Wellington New Zealand

I use a cleaner called PBW, or Powered Brewery Wash. It is mostly Sodium Metasilicate originally designed for Coors Brewing Co. It is excellent at removing any sort of protein based scum. It can be purchased at a home brewer's shop in sizes from 1 to 8 pound tubes and online from 1 pound to 50 pound drums. My experience it works great but not to be used on Aluminium.

Ben Hocking
- Walton, Kentucky

Q. What other chemical can I use with sodium metasilicate when manufacturing engine degreaser and what ratio?

bright chinhema
supplier of chemicals - harare,zimbabwe,zimbabwe