Silver extraction from waste hypo/fixer solution

1     2

++++

Hello sir,

I am a student of fourth semester (p.g.), I am doing project on "silver recovery from photographic fixer & x-rays" for that I need some information. As now I am using some chemicals which are economic to use them.These are ; nitric acid, hydroquinone, fusion mixer etc.but I am confuse to use hydroquinone ,is hydroquinone is useful for complete precipitation & how much silver it will recover? Please provide me above related information. Thank you.

Chemistry is useful in removing pollution & further recovery of metals

Srishti
student (s.g.s.i.t.s) - Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India

++++

I am planning to start silver extraction plant. But I have some doubts regarding the same. I have read some letters on the same topic and I believe that my problem will be solved by this letter. During the photographic film processing, Silver leaches into the fixer solution (Sodium Thio-Sulphate) from the photographic film and forms Silver Thio-Sulphate complex ions. The fixer is considered exhausted after becoming silver-rich (~ 7 gm/l), as it can no more serve the purpose of fixing the film in effective manner. Such exhausted fixer can then be processed to recover the Silver from it. There are various methods for this. I read about this business in news paper and searched through the literature, internet, etc. and came to know the various techniques of Silver recovery from fixer. But my doubt is that what will be purity of silver after extracted it by electrolysis method. if it is not 99.9% pure, I will not be able to sell it. Further what are the various methods of refining the extracted silver?

A, GANGADHAR REDDY
gold and silver shop - NELLORE, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA

++++

Dear Sir/Madam,

I want full detail of extraction of silver from hypo, fixer and waste x-ray films.

I want books on extraction of silver in different methods any books you have what is the cost of books.

Pramod
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

++++

I am interested to know about silver extracting from waste of x-ray etc. Please help me in knowing the source of supplier of machine, its cost and the process (whether it is economical or not) and address of indian representative.

Anand Dixit
silver extracting from hypo - Delhi, India

---
Ed. note: Kodak has a great list of downloadable pdf publications at www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pubsList.jhtml . One of these publications is a list of vendors of silver recovery systems.

Update May 2013: Sorry, Kodak documents appear to be part of a pay site now. Perhaps you may wish to consult AIIM TRO4 =>

"Silver Recovery Techniques"
AIIM TRO4

aiimtro4

++++

Dear Sir,

I want to start a part time business of silver extracting. Could you please help me with the procedures regarding the extraction of silver i.e which machine are required and where can I find literature regarding the same.

THANKING YOU,

Vivek Raj Kumar
student - Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

++++

Dear sir,

I want to set up a small scale business of processing silver from photographic film..I would be very thankful if you could provide me information about the following queries:-

1)various chemical methods employed to extract silver on small scale .and its extract procedure
2)what are the reasonable rates at which I can get processed fixture hypo.
3)which method is most suitable a) electrolytic method b)photographic film processing

I would like to hear early response from potential suppliers.... thanking you in anticipation of early reply and I remain sirs Your Faithfully,

Mr.G.S Bhalla
- karnal, haryana, India

++++

Silver refining answers at Kodak site - publication J-212 http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pubsList.jhtml

Andy Chaney
Insurance - USA

++++

I HEARD ABOUT SILVER REFINING FROM HYPO/FIXER, BY PRODUCT OF X-RAY DEVELOPING PROCESS CAN GIVE PUREST SILVER, IS THAT TRUE? IF YES, HOW CAN WE KNOW THE PERCENTAGE OF SILVER IN GRM/LTR? WHAT IS THE EASIEST METHOD FOR SILVER TESTING? SILVER GAIN BY THIS METHOD IS COST-WISE COMPETITIVE OR NOT?

THANKING YOU.

VIMAL PATEL
HOBBYIST - JUNAGADH, GUJARAT, INDIA

++++

I have heard about silver extraction from fixer solutions used in photographic films, and x-ray films. I live in UAE and would like to know more about this. I have no knowledge about this as of now and I am totally new. There are a lot of x ray films waste in this part of the world. Is there a handbook of step by step which can guide me through the technology, the process, the steps, and everything from sourcing to selling of silver. Is anyone interested in selling his expertise? I would also like to know if there are any harmful side effects of using these machines to extract silver. Is there anybody else you know of who is doing this in UAE?

Thanking you,

Sumit Mittal
Entrepreneur - UAE

++++

Hello!

Does anybody have idea of getting silver from the mixture of AgNo3 and CuNo3.

Thanx in advance.

KEYUR TANDEL
silver refining - vapi, GUJARAT, INDIA

++++

I have access to the negative archives of an old family photography studio and am interested in recovering silver from the film before disposing of it. The film goes back to the 1940s and includes much b/w that I understand to have salvageable silver. Can anyone help me with a process to extract it? I have a silver recovery system to treat waste fixer, if that is of help. Many thanks for any suggestions or assistance.

Tony Dutton
hobbyist - Valley City, ND, United States

++++

Hello sir,

I am using the silver recovery machines with the capacity of 100 liters and 55 liters each. I am able to recover silver from fixer, but not from the bleach. Can you provide me the passage of voltage and amps to the cathode and anode for fixer, bleach and fixer mixed with bleach. It would be much helpful.

Thanking you in advance.

Mahesh
recovery unit - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

++++

To whom it may concern:

I am a fifth year Chemical Engineering student and is currently enrolled in a plant design class. I would like to ask for information about the complete process flow in extracting/recovering silver from used X-ray films. I am very much interested with this topic because aside from being potentially profitable, it is also environment-friendly. Please help me! Thank you and God bless.

June Romgaille O. Perena
student - Antipolo City, Rizal, Philippines

++++

What is the concentration of saturated x-ray fixer. How much silver I get from electrolysis method.

Naresh
student - Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India

++++

I want to know about silver extraction from XRay films and Hypo and Technical and Machinery should be used in this part

Haja Najumudheen.M
Silver Extracting - Madurai, Tamilnadu, India

++++

GUD AM! Sir just want to ask some question regarding about the topic, can you send me some related literature on how can I extract the silver from the films, I hope you can send it to me, cause I need to submit a research and I'm planning to submit it as a complexion for my subject thanx and Good day God bless u.

Reb Agustin
student - Manila, Philippines

++++

Please help me as I can not always get silver recovered from the deposit got after chemical process ,in the same batch it gets recovered after melting / refining but sometimes it does not gets recovered on melting / refining by heating , my melter/ refiner is honest and also can't cheat as the whole process gets completed in my strict watch there is something wrong in my melting process my melter is illiterate , he just simply does the work commercially

Vipin Agrawal
silver extraction from fixer hypo - Askn, MP, India

++++

We are having a research project about the recovery of silver from used x-ray film developer. Unfortunately, we do not know the chemical formula of the film developer. If you happen to know, kindly inform us.

Jed Asiaii Dimaisip
student - Quezon city, Metro Manila, Philippines

++++

Dear Sir,

I have tried and started to extract Silver from hypo solution by chemical and electrolytic methods. But I could not get gain out of those methods. I do not know the fault I do. I therefore request you kindly guide me properly to extract silver from hypo solution by electrolytic method with profit. I got one machine purchased. The proper procedure will guide me to do the process successfully. Thanking you .

Yours ever,

GOPAL.PERUMAL
Silver Extraction - Salem, Tamilnaduand, India

++++

How are you? I work in mining company in Zanjan. I want to recover silver from photography solution by electrowinning process. I tried for this purpose by solvent extraction method, but I have not desire extractant. So I have to use other method.can you help me? I think that we can doing some hydrometallurgical process together. I am waiting for your answer.

With best regards,

Davood Behnian
chemical engineer - Zanjan, Iran

++++

Enquiries:

Please inform me about the detailed information about silver extraction from fixer and Hypo solution What is the raw material required for building the machine and what are the power requirement and chemical requirement for constructing the machine what kind of electrodes are required for the machine

1) How much silver can really be extracted in terms of grams/liter. from an used fixer in saturated state ? And what can be the % of purity of this extracted silver ? At what price can it be sold at the current market price?

2) Can the fixer solution after extraction of silver be again reused for photographic development purpose? If so, at what price it can be sold to the consumer? Is there any qualitative difference with a "fresh"solution ?

3) What is really the difference between Fixer and Hypo? Would you please give me clear idea on that? I do not have any.

4)Can there be any quantitative difference in silver content in different used fixer/hypo solutions procured from different sources viz., one from photography unit, the other from X-ray clinic, still other from offset printing unit or CT scan clinic etc.?

5) Can the film scraps also be utilized for silver extraction purpose?

6) How much hazards are involved in this trade, from health point of view? What precautions are to be taken ?

I have come across a plant manufacturer who claims they can provide an automatic plant with a capacity of 300 grams/day,500 grams/day, 1 kg, 3 kg and 5 kg or higher capacity, which requires no other input except used fixer and can produce 10 grams of pure silver from one lit.of saturated fixer solution. What should be my checkpoints before deciding on it?

I am completely new in this field and practically I do not have any idea on it , though I am seriously interested to start it without much delay. So I would be highly grateful to get your valuable suggestions on this trade. With regards

Niraj R Rana
Silver - PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA

++++

I can't collect total (100 %) silver from hypo/fixer of colour labs by electrolysis method (I bought electro machine from Silvo India ) . I can't collect only last 1.5% silver so my business gone on loss , I done many try on electrolysis but the result is bad ....please suggest me how can I collect total silver (color labs fixer hypo ) from electrolysis ?

Ujwal Shrestha
- Bhadrapur , Jhapa, Nepal

++++

I am planning to start silver extraction business part time from waste photographic hypo solution. I am B.Sc.(Hons) in physics and working as a chemist in a firm. I shall be very thankful if you please answer some of my questions.

1. Various chemical methods employed to extract silver on small scale. Its exact procedures?
2. Electro-Chemical method (Through Electrolysis) Its feasibility?
3. Procurement of plant and machinery

In nutshell I want to know the details of easy and profitable practical method for the extraction of Silver from waste Hypo fixer solution. Please guide accordingly. I shall be very thankful to you.

Raval Manish R.
Aum Extraction - Jamnagar, Gujrat, India

++++

Please furnish me information on current density for electrolytic silver recovery from fixer. I am writing a thesis on the above subject.

OBIOHA UKEKWE
- Port Harcourt, Nigeria

++++

I HAVE FIXED/HYPO SOLUTION CONTAINING SILVER. I NEED INFORMATION REGARDING EXTRACTION OF SILVER BY ELECTROLYSIS OF FIXED/HYPO SOLUTION. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

OSAMA ARABY
- ALEX, EGYPT

++++

I want to be a business of silver extraction from fixer . Please tell the all technique which can be conveniently operated at home.

Parag Swami
- Bikaner, Rajsathan, India

++++

Chemical process is the only extraction cheap & fast method by which silver can be separated from waste hypo solution. The black residue can be melted, and purified easily by electrolysis process.

Yesudas K I
- Nethaji Road, Aluva,Kerala, India

----
Ed. note: Thanks, Yesudas

++++

Dear Sir/Madam

As I am in to silver extraction business from waste photography chemical past 5 year.

our process of extracting sliver:
* we extract sliver from electrolysis process
* as it is very much time consuming method

My question is
* is their any new process or method, where sliver is extracted in a short time and any new things I would like to know from your side

awaiting for your response with high expectations

Rupesh

Rupesh N
abc - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

++++

I WANT TO REALIZE MY SELF A SILVER RECOVERY SYSTEM. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME BY A TECHNICAL AND SIMPLE DOCUMENTATION. THANK YOU;

Yazid Annaba
photograph - Algiers, Algeria

++++

to remove silver from X-rays:

- you can wash the films in bleach fixer or

- you can treat the films with Iron-Chloride (FeCL3) and then wash with normal fixer (thiosulfate).

Both solutions can be desilvered with electrolysis. You can also desilver with a chemical reduction; use Sodium-borohydride as a reductor. The silver falls down as a sludge. Filter and dry & melt......

Films can also be washed in Nitric acid. The silver can be obtained by adding Sodium-chloride solution to the acid. The silver falls down as a silver-salt (silver-chloride). You can melt the salt together with soda-ash and borax [linked by editor to product info].

A.F. van Riet
- Moerdijk, Netherlands, Europe

----
Ed. note: Thanks,. A.F.

++++

I need silver recovery method for film.

I have some research with burning system.

Pratama Kurnia Wisnu Brata
- South Jakarta, Indonesia

++++

Dear sir/madam,

Please give me the details of graphite anode used in silver extraction machine or silver recovery machine from fixer solution (chemical). The density of graphite , the surface should ruf or smooth wether carbon anode can be used.

Abhijeet Patil
abhijeet enterprises - BELGAUM , KARNATAKA, INDIA

++++

Respected sir,

I request you to send information about how to prepare machine (what are the equipments need.) And also I am trying to build up a machine, but I do not know. Followings are my inquiries...

1.we don't know the type of metal for cathode and anode rod.

2. how much potential of DC voltage we have to give.

3. the full idea of prepare machine (silver extraction from waste hypo/fixer, x ray films)
4.and also please specify the density and surface finish of the graphite electrode and wether carbon electrode can be used and which.
Please send the answer of these questions as much as possible.

Thanking you yours truly,

Pritviraj.Kakaykar
student - Karnataka, India

+++++

Dear sir
I heard silver recovery from waste hypo by only chemical no need machinery, is it possible? if possible please tell me how.

Sincerely

Saeedul Haque
manufacturer - Dhaka, Bangladesh

+++++

The easiest way to extract pure silver from photography fixer is using pure copper. If you put pure copper in a solution of spent fixer, the copper will exchange place with the silver ions, since copper is more reactive. This gives you a coating of pure silver on the outside of the copper. It can be scraped off with relative ease. I'm not sure if it would be cost effective for industrial uses, but for just playing around with photo chemicals, it's the best thing. No electrolysis or anything fancy required at all. Just some copper wire you can get from a hardware store.

Patrick Ranval
- Paducah, Kentucky, United States

----
Ed. note: Thanks, Patrick.

+++++

Dear sir,

I want to start the business that is to extract silver from Hypo Water. Can you guide me about how to proceed or the training center available at chennai.

Thanking you

Yours sincerely,

DHANALAKSHMI GOPE
Hospital Administration - Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

+++++

Geez, people, silver is only $7.5US/oz. Just BUY your damn silver, as much as you need. It's cheaper than setting up a toxic chemical lab.

Jason Lee
- Santa Ego, California

+++++

Respected sir,

Please tell me the process of making silver from hypo bleach and fixer. Myself kedar nath talwar got the answer of my previous question. I am thankful for it please clear me that how much of sodium thiosulfate is used in a liter.and please let me know what kind of testing paper is there to calculate the silver in 1 liter.

Kedar Nath Talwar
r.p industries - Delhi, India

+++++

Dear sir,

I am running small scale industry in my house on extraction of silver from waste photographic hypo (fixer) solution .I have invested nearly 50,000 INR for electrolytic machine and solution.But I could not get even a gram of silver.I am the sole breadwinner of the family and rely much upon this.
I have purchased hypo solution which is colourless with fine black particles settled at the bottom solution which I purchased from color lab is syrupy red wine coloured.I tried electrolysis with both the solutions but I am failed.
I want to know what type of solution I should buy(physical appearance) ?
What is the chemical composition of black particles in the solution?
Is it possible to extract silver by electrolysis under normal conditions?
Is there any other chemical process to get silver from above said solution?
I will be much obliged if you respond this at the earliest.

SHET PRAKASH
Small scale industry - Tumkur, INDIA

+++++

Sir,
I'm a small scale businessman in silver extraction business since 25 yrs. I'm doing good business but I would like to know about the latest process n chemicals used to extract the same..I use sodium hydroxide to wash the films.. which is cost incurring. I hereby request you to tell me more about cost reducing process...
thank u..

Amol Vatkar
reshma enterprises - Solapur, Maharashtra, India

+++++

Dear sir,
I am planing to set up an silver extracting industry. I want to extract the silver through "ELECTROLYSIS METHOD".
Please answer my following questions:
1)How to assemble an electrolysis machine.
2)what are the spare parts required.
3)Procedure of assembling.
4)Estimated cost.
5)what are the measures to be taken for the maximum extraction of silver.
6)I have come to know that the fixer used by paper industry, multicolour off set printing and fixer used by aeronautical engineers (gamma rays)for more purity. is it correct? what do you suggest?
7)In general were can we find spares of the machine.

I will be very much thank full for the best and early reply.

S.Pavan Kumar
student - Seunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, INDIA

+++++

I wish to know about the silver extraction method from waste hypo solution and the details about the machine and tools using the extraction. Especially India or ...

which are the training centers in India.
which are the websites for detail information about this.

from,

Sanjay P.Gore.
- Parli Vaijnath, Maharashtra, India

+++++

PLease let me know the silver extraction process, like electrolysis or any other method available for extracting from Fixer solution and please let me know briefly the Cathode and Anode metals used also Voltage to be used .

Thanks ,

Asif Shaikh
Silver India - Pune, India

+++++

Please I want to know if there is any thing like salt or alkaline I need to add in the processing of fixer to get my silver in a good quantity I mean large quantity.

Kenneth Mgbeahuru
foto printing - Aba abia state, Nigeria

++++++

I am very seriously thinking about setting up a silver extraction unit with capacity of approx. 300 grams/day. I wish to have a clear picture about the following points.

Enquiries:

1) How much silver can really be extracted in terms of grams/liter from an used fixer in saturated state ? And what can be the % of purity of this extracted silver ? At what price can it be sold at the current market price?

I have come across a plant manufacturer who claims they can provide an automatic plant with a capacity of 300 grams/day or higher capacity, which requires no other input except used fixer and can produce 10 grams of pure silver from one lit.of saturated fixer solution. What should be my checkpoints before deciding on it?

I am completely new in this field and practically I do not have any idea on it , though I am seriously interested to start it without much delay. So I would be highly grateful to get your valuable suggestions on this trade.

With regards, Yours sincerely,

Tarun Bansal
hobbyist - NOIDA, Uttar Pradesh, India

++++++

I am not aware how to dispose or sell hypo waste solution generated from our x-ray clinic.it is about 5000 liters collected over a period of time. I also want to know if it is a environment hazard.i do not have the time or will to extract silver from the same.If some body is interested he can collect the same from me for research or scientific studies.

Vijay Pantane
Pantane Healthcare Solutions - Nagpur, mah, India

++++++

We have a research project about extraction of silver from x-ray films.. I wonder how to test its purity and its malleability? thanks!

Charley May M. Dorado
student - Laguna, Philippines

++++++

I am a photographic machinist, I am looking for information on how to extract the silver from used fixer from a photographic process. Just something simple I play with at home. What type of machine do I look for and what is the name of the machine? What voltage and current should I apply? thank you in advance

TUNDE ADEDIRAN
Star photo laboratory - Abidjan, Ivory Coast

++++++

Sir,I purchased silver extracting machine from Silvo India, but I am unable to get even 1 gm of silver. Please tell me the chemical methods to get silver from used x-ray films,hypo,bleach fix etc.thank u.

Rajesh Kumar
teacher - Badshahpur, Gurgaon, HR, India

++++++

Silver extraction through chemicals are very dangerous to human life, why because a bad smell is coming while using the chemical. If we inhale the smell, does any problem will be come in future in our body and what are the precaution to be taken.

Robin
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

++++++

I have been is silver extraction business for last 6 yrs, I found that electrolysis method can't extract d whole silver completely from the waste hypo, yield 2 grams/liter, where silver quantity was 7 grams/liter which I used(hypo),now I would like to try chemical process on the same used hypo,for the extraction of the remaining silver.but I have no idea about chemical process. Can you give me the complete process (chemical) details, A to Z,thanks.

Mr Pranjal Hass
consumer - Guwahati, Assam, India

++++++

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you in good faith and good will.

I had fixer solution and my problem is the next procedure.

Could you please tell me the next step to obtain silver from the solution that I must conduct?

Thank You in advance, Sir.

Respectfully yours,

Hia D. Lecaroz
- San Juan, Batangas, Philippines

+++++++

I had printing plate film fixer and photographic fixer solution. Already I've done silver recovery in precipitation method form COD waste.
Now I want to know how to precipitate silver from silver thiosulphate waste
please send any easy method to precipitate the silver
thanking you sir.
chezian

N.S.ILANCHEZIAN
global off set printing plate factory - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

+++++++

May I have some info about metal replacement system in silver recovery. If you can't help me, will you please direct me to where I could get information about it.

Daina Noor Aston
Radiology Dept. of Hospital - Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam

+++++++

Please go to www.patentstorm.us/patents/5064466-description.html
You will find info about non toxic process of recovering silver from photographic and x ray films. It is somebody patent invention so please check if you have to pay for it.
good luck,

Daina Noor Aston
- Brunei darussalam

+++++++

Please answer: volt/amps quantity to extract silver from x.ray films solution.

Shahe M.Seraydarian
shahe armenia - Aleppo, Syria

+++++++

Hello sir,
I want to start a silver business. I'm doing MBA.can you tell me what is the future of silver in Indian market because competition is so much. and if you don't mind can you give me full information related to making of silver, because I'm the first person in my family who is doing business.
thank you

Karan
- Sec

+++++++

Dear Sir,

sub:Extraction of silver from waste hypo solution by chemical process only.

I have heard about silver extraction from waste hypo solution.For a few months I have been longing to start silver extraction and came across some methods which were not authentic or not fully chemical process.

I have some more topics to be notified,

1.The various techniques of silver recovery from fixer
by using different chemical combinations.
2.It will be very helpful if the chemicals used are easily available.
3.Various chemical methods employed to extract pure silver on small scale.

I will be very thankful to you if you can get me that information,waiting for your reply hopefully,

Thanking you,

SAJEEV G
self employee - ALAPPUZHA, KERALA, INDIA

+++++++

2) Can the fixer solution after extraction of silver be again reused for photographic development purpose? If so, at what price it can be sold to the consumer? Is there any qualitative difference with a "fresh" solution?

6) How much hazards are involved in this trade, from health point of view? What precautions are to be taken?

You please help me in getting the name and address of the machine manufacturer in India or abroad?

NAVIN JALAN
architect - Coochbehar, West Bengal, India

sidebar +++++++

There are only questions in your site! Where are the answers?

Mohamed omar
- Chennai, India

+++++++

This is a huge site with 60,000 threads, Mohamed, and the readers have answered the great majority of questions.

But there are a few topics which attract hoards of people who were unrealistically led to expect riches. They come here unwilling to share the info they themselves have, thinking it's a priceless clue in the great secret; nor are they ever satisfied because any answers they receive invalidate their get-rich-quick dream :-)

Please tell the other readers what you know, and maybe they will reciprocate. I am disappointed with the large number of selfish people this thread has attracted -- don't be one of them! Thanks.

+++++++

Shall I purchase automatic machine offered by Silvo India or........any other vendor? Recently there was a show on Zee Business from Silvo India for silver extraction machine. Does anyone who has purchased machine from the said company or any feedback you want to give.shall I proceed with purchasing of machine. Waiting for your helping hand...previously I received bad feedback that they can't extract even 1 gm/lt. Any positive feedback that you can give. Will wait.
Thanking you.

Sohil.Chandiwala
potential enterpreneur - mumbai

Hi, Sohil. No machine can extract more silver from the hypo/fixer than is there! So I think the logical approach is to source the hypo/fixer first and have its silver content tested as the first step. Then you can say: "okay, here's the actual silver content of the hypo, let's see how much of it this unit recovers". To try to judge how completely a machine recovers silver, if you don't know how much silver there is in the hypo, is hopeless.

+++++++

Will NaOH precipitation method of silver recovery is more effective than electrolytic method?

Van Ryan Kristopher R. Galarpe
- Bulua, Cagayan de Oro City

+++++++

Hello I am a graduation final yr student,have been working on this project now 4 1 yr and think to take you this as my own business, please help 1) How much silver can really be extracted in terms of grams/liter from an used fixer in saturated state ? And what can be the % of purity of this extracted silver ? At what price can it be sold at the current market price?

7) are their any dealers in hyderabad from whom I can purchase this machine?

Can you please help me in getting the name and address of the machine manufacturer in India or abroad?

Manjeet Rai
student - Secunderabad, A.P., India

+++++++

Dear Sirs, I am a Lebanese First Aider, While I was on Duty, someone told me that it is possible to extract Silver from X-rays photographies.
I Tried Searching online but could not find an answer to the question, So I was hoping if you could help me.
Is it possible to do so? And How can we do it.
I appreciate any help you give me.
Thank you in Advance.

Elie JAMMAL
unemployed - Lebanon

+++++++

Dear Sir,

I want to know the following Questions ?

1.How much quantity of silver recovered from 1 k.g of scrap x-ray film?
2.What are resources of sellers list of Scrap?
3.What are the chemicals to be used in the process of silver recovery from scrap x-ray film ?
4.Is there any machines for silver recovery from scrap film

Rakesh Sharma
- Haryana

+++++++

Respected sir
I want to know the electrolysis method for extraction of silver from hypo solution
I have source of hypo solution from industrial radiography labs I know the chemical method in which sodium sulphide is used.
At present I am working in K S A & here I don't know where I can find the chemicals . so I want to know the alternate method for extraction of silver from hypo.
you just tell me how I can extract silver from hypo except chemical method.

shashikant pawar
hobbyist - Thane, Maharashtra , India

I have come across a plant manufacturer who claims they can provide an automatic plant with a capacity of 300 grams/day,500 grams/day,1 kg ,3 kg and 5 kg or higher capacity, which requires no other input except used fixer and can produce 10 grams of pure silver from one lit.of saturated fixer solution. What should be my checkpoints before deciding on it?

I am completely new in this field and practically I do not have any idea on it , though I am seriously interested to start it without much delay. So I would be highly grateful to get your valuable suggestions on this trade. With regards,

Vinod.C
buyer - Palakkad, Kerala, India

Hi.I am an undergraduate student in a renowned university in Nigeria and I am a nigerian.I have been into the electrolytic method of recovering silver for almost a year now and it might interest you to know that the proceeds I get from the sales of the recovered silver is what I use in funding my university education.You can imagine what I go through trying to balance school work wit my "business".What I need is A faster way/method I can use to recover silver from photographic wastes.Here is my connection;I have a container which contains 250 liters of photographic wastes, then I place what we call graphite or lead at opposite sides of the container, making sure that part of both graphites are inserted into the wastes. I also got the head of a ceiling fan which I attach a steel to and place it over the container with the steel in the waste.Then I get a car battery chargeramazoninfo with positive and negative outlets.I split the positive in two to touch the graphites at both sides of the container and draw a single wire from the negative to touch the steel.As soon as there is flow of current,the car battery charger supplies positive current to the graphites and negative current to the steel.so as the fan is turning,the silver in the wastes stick to the steel.But my problem here is that it takes up to 5 days just to refine 250 liters of the wastes and others who do it in other parts of nigeria say there is a machine which I can use to recover the whole content of silver in just 8 hours but they just won't let me know the machine.they keep it a secret.The battery charger I use is a local one,made here in nigeria but I think the one they use is a foreign one.This is the reason I am sending this mail.to know if a foreign battery charger can do the job.I really need this. Please reply within 24 hours.Thanks.

Obogheneruru Orhuesie
- Port Harcourt,Rivers State,Nigeria

Please give me an idea how to recover silver in a most inexpensive way

thanks,

Rod

Rod Baguio
- Cebu City, Philppines

All right!Do you all guys want to know?,,this is it!
The best way to recovery silver from X ray films or B/W negatives is Oxalic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Rockler], heat the acid to 100 °C,put the film into the acid and in 20 minutes all the silver goes off to the bottom, no fumes, no risk, no environment damage,just pure silver. By the way,the oxalic acid is 5% concentration.Best Regards.

Juan M. Arcos
- Pachuca, Hidalgo, México

----
Ed. note: Thanks, Juan

Hello people that,
There is a company in mumbai that makes silver extraction machine. They have various models according to the capacity of solution one wants to process and recovery silver from.

I have one of their machine and is running successfully. Maybe you can contact them. Aero Products.

Best Regards,

Jayesh Jain
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

hello sir,

I am a radiographer and please let me know how can I get silver from developer and waste x-ray films?

thank you.

Chandreshwar Gupta
owner - Himachal Pradesh, India

Dear Sir
I am a student of fourth sem (pg) I am doing project on "Silver recovery from waste x-ray film for that I need some information As now I am using chemicals These are Nitric Acid but I want the direct burn the film recover silver please give me details information How can burn the film and next processing
Awaiting your valuable response
Thanking you

Mahesh Birajdar
Student - Sangli (Maharashtra) India

Dear Sir,
Last week I sent email that asked to you how to recover silver from waste x-ray film but we want the direct film burn method; but still today you don't send any answer, why? please send me immediate reply.

Mahesh Birajdar
Mahesh Jewellery Designer - Sangli (Maharashtra) India

Hi, Mahesh. We posted your inquiry, but I don't personally know the answer. Perhaps burning the film produces noxious gasses. I don't have the answer and I can't force the readers who have knowledge to answer you.

But I do see that Jim Sivertsen posted a while back that burning is "not environmentally friendly". Maybe if your posting starts by quoting that, or starts with trying to help one of the previous inquirers with their questions about nitric acid recovery there might be mutual cooperation. Good luck!

I am a Chemistry student from Ahmadu Bello University Zaria and and I'm working on a project "Extraction of silver from photographic waste solution" Please could someone help me with a simple laboratory method of doing this? Thank you in anticipation.

Paul Zuwahu
- Zaria, Kaduna, Nigeria

I would like to know the manual process by step by step guide to recover silver from the photographic color bleach please guide whoever knows the manual process

Shyam Sundar
- Vijayawada, Andhrapradesh

Sir,
Please help me to locate the manufacturers of Silver Extraction Plants, ideally in Kolkata, West Bengal.

Surajit Banerjee
Buyer - Kolkata

I would like to set up a factory of recovering silver from hospital X ray films in iran (with two partners). We have heard about silver recovery from X ray films and would like to know more about it. I don't know the first things about it. There is a lot of x ray films waste in this part of the world. Can you help me please. Is there a handbook of step by step how to do it? can I buy ready made kits? I understand the technology is big in India? can anyone help? anyone interested in selling his expertise? How much is the quantity of silver contained in 1000 gm of X-ray film scrap? Can we extract silver profitably from X-ray film scrap? If possible how? What is the market rate of X-ray film scrap per kilogram?

Sir, I want you to make me clear whether hypo sol. from X-ray labs is dangerous to health if we come in touch with it while extracting silver from it? Please let me know.

Rakky Rajesh
employee - cbe, Tamilnadu, India

Respected sir,

I requested to how to prepare machine (what are all the equipments it needs). And also I tried to built up the machine but we did not do fully .

Followings are my queries...
1.we don't know what type of metal cathode and anode .
2. how much of DC voltage we have to give.

Thanking you yours faithfully,

tirath singh
manager - ludhiana, punjab , india

Charanpreet Verma
jeweller - Nabha,Punjab,India

sidebar May 22, 2009

Hi, Charanpeet. This thread has been on line for years, with at least a few good answers provided; I don't think it is constructive to start from the top again, forcing the thread into endless circles. Could you please try to express your question in terms of what has already been said. For example, "My understanding then is that . . . but what I don't see is . . ." Thanks!

Hi sir,

I want the information like,

1) Is there any standard dimensions of electrolysis cell. if yes what they are?

2) the solution required for the process.

3) The clearance between electrodes and the cell bottom.

4) who much quantity of solution is filled in the cell.

5) who much voltage required for the process and type of current(ac,dc)

Kishor Patil
product designer - Sangli, Maharashtra, India

Dear Sir,
I am planning a part time business of Silver Extraction from Fixer solution,I have read a lot about the separation of silver from fixer solution,i want to know which chemical is used to separate silver from fixer solution so as to reduce the volume when we purchase it and also the amount of chemical to be used

Ghulam Qadir
- Srinagar, India

Dear Sir,

I am a student of B.Tech in Chemical Engineering under University of lahore and am in my final year. I got my project "Recovery of Silver from X-ray plate and photographic waste solution". That's why I am asking for the process of recovery of silver which must be cost-economic and can be carried out in a chemical laboratory. I will be heartily grateful to you if you please send me all the details about the process,chemical reactions involved, ecofriendliness of the process, possibility of further modification etc..in a words all the data required from A to Z. Awaiting an early favorable reply.

Yours sincerely,

abbas gul

Abbas Shahid
- Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

Resp, Sir
I goldsmith and silver refinery person I want known how recover silver from watch button sale it is profitable and also I known how recover the silver from waste x-ray film but I do not know how recover the silver from watch button sale please guide me I waiting for your valuable reply
Thanking you

Mahesh Birajdar
jewel - Islampur Maharashtra India

the site which I got last week and are joyas to greet my happy "Diwali" to all my respected sir/madam.

I am gathering my knowledge from my respected friends question and experience about to get maximum quantity of Silver from fixer waste/from x-ray film with the help of chemical process and through electrolysis method.
I'm experienced about to collect fixer waste in proper manner.
regards.

Achintya Bhadury
- kolkata, westbengal, India

October 20,2009

i need to extract silver just for a school project, so a thin strip will be sufficient.Can you please answer my queries:
-what concentration of sodium thiosulphate to be used
-what voltage must be used
-anode and cathode, etc
I need a minimal amount and the simplest procedure will suffice
p.s. if there are any alternatives, please suggest.
thank you.

heena saxena
- ahmedabad, gujarat

HEARD ABOUT SILVER REFINING FROM HYPO/FIXER, BY PRODUCT OF X-RAY DEVELOPING PROCESS CAN GIVE PUREST SILVER, IS THAT TRUE? IF YES, HOW CAN WE KNOW THE PERCENTAGE OF SILVER IN GRM/LTR?WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS METHOD OF REFINING THE EXTRACTED SILVER? IS IT AFFORDABLE?

ANTONY JOSEPH
HOBBYIST - ERNAKULAM, KERALA, INDIA

Hi Sir.....
I am Rajesh
Recently I had started silver recovery unit I want to know what is the process for color bleach in manual method.
that is I heard one manual method. In color bleach some chemicals will be mixed after mixing that chemical all silver content will come come down and waste water will come up.
I have to know what is the chemical is used to extract silver like this....

Rajesh Babu
Product designer - Andhra Pradesh, India

I like to know which chemicals are used to extract silver from sodium thiosulphate. Is it possible to extract it from sodium hydroxide & sodium sulphide?

vikram doke
student - thane,maharastra,india

SIR,
I WANT TO START A BUSINESS OF "SILVER RECOVER FROM PHOTOGRAPHY PLATE" .
PLEASE GIVE ME PROCESS OF REMOVING SILVER FROM PHOTOGRAPHY PLATE

RAVI SONI
STUDENT - delhi,new delhi,india

I read about the topic of recovering silver from fixer. I have a knowledge since I was working before in the refining of precious metal. all of the answer I read is right but the only way to purify the silver is the electrolysis but as what mr! (i forgot the name) said is also right. but always be careful when somebody do experimental procedure. good luck to all of you guys.

erick tagacay
Supervisor (refinery of precious metal) - UAE

i want to know what are the equipments required for electrolysis method for silver extraction for anode, cathode, what tank is best?and can I recover 100% silver from this method.how much current have to use in electrolysis method?i know the chemical process also, so which one is best.

pradeep meher
- pbalangir,orissa.india

Hi, Pradeep.

You say you know the chemical method, and you can see that hundreds of other readers got here first, looking for that information that you can offer. So please describe the chemical method that you know. Then maybe people can compare it to the electrolysis method.

I have searched for advice on recovering silver from spent film fixer. I mostly found questions on this site with no answers. This is what I deducted. Both developer and fixer start out clear. The developer turns muddy but the fixer stays relatively clear. Both are very alkaline. The developer is waste. The fixer needs to be pH adjusted to about neutral using sulphuric acid (battery acid). The rxn was very weak in the alkaline solution. I used OOOO fine steel wool and immediately saw a chemical rxn. The solution turned milky white and a dark precipitate dropped. In a different container, I used powdered zinc. The rxn was much stronger. I have photos, but don't know how to post them here.

Now for volume processing, I plan on adjusting the pH then 1st precipitating with the steel wool, then decanting into a container with powdered zinc for a second round of precipitation.

Theoretically, I can purify the silver in the steel wool tank by exploiting melting points of silver vs. iron. Theoretically, I can purify the silver in the zinc tank by re-dissolving the melted metal nugget in nitric acid, precipitate the silver with table salt, wash with distilled water and bring to a boil. The silver chloride should remain as a precipitate while the zinc should go back into solution.

I need to investigate stripping film for silver recovery next....the oxalic acid post was interesting.

Kurt Arnold
- Sussex, New Jersey, USA

I know how to extract silver from waste fixer chemically but the process is somewhat difficult. I use the following chemicals sodium sulphide, caustic soda sodium nitrate borax soda ash this process finally I get the black powder which is to be melted at high temperature.

Is there any other method to extract pure silver chemically without melting the powder. I want the method to extract silver without melting chemically.

Venkatesh Patil
buyer - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Seriously?? I'm a chemistry instructor and am amazed at the number of repetitive questions... Do they not teach chemistry where they are? My intro to chemistry students could do a better job at thinking about this than all the postings...hats off to the gentleman that is trying to get you guys to post answers. I love the "get rich quick mentality" of tell me how to extract silver at home so I can get money for doing nothing...Take a few chemistry classes...

Donna Talbot
- Missouri USA

I thick Ted is right on the money on the amount of silver in fixer solution; most of the film now that is used is known as rare earth film. Very low in silver content, even the green film has a low amount. You cannot recover near the amount on a 1000 lb. of rare earth that you could on the older film.

I have bought and sold tons of film and even tried the processing route with out any success. A lot of the Techs at the hospitals will lead you to think you can really do well at their hospital; don't get too excited though, it is a tough business to compete in. It is like trying to outdo the big boys that have all the knowledge, equipment, and resources. If a person can find used X-ray units that are in good condition and are of the size for the application and you maintain a monthly check you might have a chance of making a little money for the time and effort, but do not be disappointed when you find out you are working for pennies.

I have been down this road before. To all who try may I wish you the best of luck.
Butch

Butch McGeath
- Ruidoso, New Mexico

respected sir,

Now I want to extract silver from fixer solution and x ray films.

till date I use sodium sulphide, sodium hydroxide, borax for fixer solution but I got black metal with impurity of Pb sisa) according to goldsmith & it is breakable in nature.

please give me proper instruction (step by step) for fixer solution and x ray films

thanks

Yogesh Sharma
MBA student - Jaipur, Rajasthan, INDIA

Dear sir: once burned x ray films and having you the ash, what's next step to obtain silver by electrolysis?

Eduardo Francis
Medicine student. - Caracas. Venezuela.

I have read many forums and thousands of threads but this one is amazing! Hundreds of questions. A few answers that are succinct and to the point.

The chemical solution:

Chemistry is fun if you learn a little about it. The frustrating thing about chemistry is when you want to work with chemicals and involve yourself and possibly others in a chemical process with NO knowledge of what is going into the process, what is happening in the process and having NO knowledge of what result to expect from the process.

Question: What chemical(s) do I add to an UNKNOWN solution to create high purity silver?

Answer: There is NO answer because there is NO possible answer to what will result from an unknown.

Better question: What chemical(s) do I add to a KNOWN solution to recover silver (of unknown purity).

Example: Recovery of silver from silver chloride...

The chemical reaction of Sodium Hydroxide with Silver Chloride results in a KNOWN combination of compounds; sodium chloride, silver with hydrogen and oxygen.

NaOH + AgCl --> NACl + Ag + H + O

In photography, Sodium Thiosulfate (Na2S2O3) combines with silver bromide (AgBr) to create a complex compound...

[Ag(S2O3)2] with three spare electrons + Br with one spare electrons. These are ionic compounds.

From what I have seen, the recovery is done with proprietary chemicals.

Electro-chemistry is MORE fun than chemistry!

The answer was given above in the thread. Using a power supply with a graphite anode and stainless steel cathode, it is possible to electro-win or plate the silver out of solution onto the stainless steel plate (electrode).

Question: How much voltage?
Question: How much current?

Answer: There is no specific answer because the question (again) has no specific identification of the concentration of the solution or the temperature of the solution or the size of the electrodes or the spacing between the electrodes.

The voltage required and the current required depends on all of the above.

What is recovered?

There is NO answer to this question because (again) it is impossible to answer. What metals are in the solution? Is the solution contaminated with other metals?

Depending on the quality of the solution, you will get silver in the form of crystals or "sludge". The sludge and/or crystals can be melted into impure silver.

The book, "Recovery and Refining of Precious Metals", by C. W. Ammen is one of many recommended publications on the subject.

Precipitation:

Less noble metals... Copper, Iron (nails) will precipitate silver from photographic fixer. (it's actually electro-chemical without a power supply)

It has been an impossible thread! The answers were impossible! The answer IS possible with a knowledge of chemistry and the willingness to apply chemistry AND electrochemistry to find the answers to the above questions.

Economics:

Question: What are the economics of silver recovery?

Answer: The economics are determined by subtracting the cost from the revenue.

The answer is impossible without knowing what the costs and revenues are. Where in the WORLD are you? What does labor cost in India vs the US? Certain people have replied with knowledge and experience that say it is not economical. Controlling efficiency and cost while maximizing the revenue side while noting the price of silver today will affect economics.

Question: Will this END the impossible questions?

Answer: NO. There is no end to impossible questions!

Chuck Merritt
- Cochise, Arizona, USA

I am planning to start silver extraction business part time from waste photographic hypo solution. I am Photographer. I shall be very thankful if you please answer some of my questions.

3. Procurement of plant and machinery

In nutshell I want to know the details of easy and profitable practical method for the extraction of Silver from waste Hypo fixer solution. Please guide accordingly. I shall be very thankful to you

Riyaj Patil
photo studio - Sangli, Maharasatra, India

In answer to the chemical solution for recovery of silver from Sodium Thiosulphate:

SODIUM SULPHIDE is added to the solution of Sodium Thiosulphate. The reaction is:

Ag2S2O3, 2Na2S2O2+Na2S = Ag2S+3Na2S2O3

The silver is precipitated as silver sulphide. The silver sulphide settles to the bottom of the container in which the reaction occurs.

Silver sulphide can be purchased or produced for use.

If lead is in the solution, then the FIRST step is to precipitate the lead with sodium carbonate and remove the lead. Otherwise, the lead will be precipitated with the silver.

Chuck Merritt
- Cochise, Arizona, USA

Dear Sir,

Kindly provide me the exact detail of two things, which is required to seprate silver from fixture,mentioned below:

1. Which 3 chemicals is used to separate the silver from fixture.
2. How much the quantity of chemicals to be mixed in fixture. and which chemical should be used first and what the next step.

Desperately waiting for the reply

SYED SHAHZOR
- Hyderabad, A.P, INDIA

A. Hello. Everyone who wants to know about the extraction of the silver from waste fixer.
SO MANY QUESTIONS TO ANSWER:
1) CHEMICAL PROCESS
ADD 1/4 KG CAUSTIC SODA TO APPROX. 100 LITERS OF FIXER, STIR IT WELL, AND THEN ADD 1 KG OF SODIUM SULPHIDE TO IT AND STIR IT WELL, AND LEAVE IT FOR 2 TO 3 HOURS ....SALT WILL GO DOWN TO BOTTOM REMOVE ABOVE WATER CAREFULLY .....MAKE SURE SALT GETS DRY BEFORE MELTING.

FOR MELTING
SODIUM NITRATE
SODA ASH
BORAX WILL BE USED FOR MELTING SALT TO GET PURE SILVER

2)MOST PEOPLE ARE ASKING ABOUT EXTRACTING SILVER FROM X-RAYS
FOR THIS YOU NEED LOTS OF PERMISSIONS FROM GOVT FOR EX: -POLLUTION LICENSE ETC ... HEADACHE

TO THE NEWCOMERS MY SINCERE ADVICE IS DON'T BUY CHEMICALS WITHOUT PROPER KNOWLEDGE ... THAT WILL GIVE HELL LOT OF HEADACHES TO YOUR BANK BALANCE ....

SOMEONE ASKED HOW MANY GRAMS WILL YIELD FROM 1 KG X-RAYS
HERE IS THE ANSWER
1) CHEST 3 GRAMS MAX PER KG
2) ORTHO 9 GRAMS MAX PER KG
3) MIX 6 GRAMS PER KG
THANKS TO ONE 'N' ALL
RAJESH

RAJESH
- HYDERABAD, India

thumbsup2Dear Rajesh, Thanks a lot.

Moin
- Chittagong, Bangladesh

Q. Sir, can anyone help me in recovering the silver from the QSS lab bleach and stabilizer? And which chemicals are used for the precipitation and for the melting?

Kasturi Surendra
- Kurnool, AP, INDIA

I'm Rathod from Bangalore, actually sir I'm planing for setup silver extraction machine and I'm new for this kind of business so I need help from you sir , means whether i can do or not, is it profitable or what and do I get the raw materials in Bangalore.
Thanking You

REGARDS

Pradeep Rathod
- Bangalore, India

Q. Dear sir, good morning, I'm Rajesh from India; I want to know which chemicals are used in silver extraction from x-ray fixer ? What is approximate amount of these chemicals in 100 ltr? How to complete this process method? Thanks sir

Rajesh Kumar
- Kota, India

1     2