-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Stainless steel cooktop stain removal

An ongoing discussion from 2002 through 2015 . . .

Q. I recently purchased a new Dacor stainless steel cooktop. I have some stains that came from simply having boiled some corn and the water in the pot bubbled over. The next morning, brown spots that don't come out with stainless cleaner or use of SoftScrub. How do I get the stains out and get my nice clean stainless look back?

Brigitta Strand
- Danville, California

similarly2 (2002)

Q. I just purchased a Dacor cooktop and wondered if you have found any cleanser that works well.

Charles Licastri
- Holmdel, New Jersey

Q. Hey, I also Have a Stainless steel cooktop with brown marks I can't get off. Anyone know of how to get rid of them without scratching the surface? Would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Karnecki
- South Africa

Q. I am having the same problem with the brown spots on my Dacor cooktop. Anyone found a solution yet?

Komis Psaros
- Ormond Beach, Florida

Q. Help, I have the same problem. Brown stains on a new Dacor cooktop that won't come out. Please give us an answer! Much appreciated.

Nancy Robert
- New York, New York

A. After trying at least 10 commercial cleaners of various types, my girlfriend's mother gave me the simple solution. Mama Dao said to use oven cleaner. I used Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and, after only 10-15 minutes, 99% of the spots came up with just the wipe of a damp sponge. The rest required a second application and some light scrubbing.

Mark Lonergan
- Lafayette, California

sidebar2 November 2, 2011

!! Dudes... the Hot Link to the Easy-Off goes to Amazon for a $66 16 oz can. If you search Amazon for the same item it can be bought for $5.99. THIS IS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!

Chris Fox
- Acworth, Georgia USA

thumbsup2Hi, Chris. Thanks for the warning but the ink is actually to a 12-pack of 16-oz cans with free shipping. In offering links we sometimes guess that people may pick up one of an item at a local store, then might be interested in a mail-order price for a bulk shipment. Sorry for the confusion. But Amazon is a reputable place and, although their prices may not always be the absolute lowest on everything, most are quite low and I've never seen a "rip off" on Amazon.

Thanks, Mark!

But readers: Consider this solution only if certain that you are working with stainless steel. Oven cleaner is a caustic material that can quickly dissolve and permanently ruin aluminum :-(

Ted Mooney,   Teds signature

thumbsup2The oven cleaner worked like a charm! (Although it took about 2 hours of stand-time...)

This has been bothering me since we got this cooktop about 2 years ago and the brown spots started to accumulate. I had scrubbed and scrubbed and thought that the stainless steel had actually discolored from the heat!

Thanks for the great tip!

Rhonda Hughes
- Pleasant Hill, California

thumbsup2 I followed the oven cleaner advice to clean our Dacor stainless cook top. It worked beautifully!

Lynn O'Neill
- Dallas, Texas

thumbsup2 We installed a Dacor cooktop about 9 months ago and the brown stains have been driving me crazy too. I am glad to see that some of you found a solution that sounds like it works. I will have to try it. THANKS!

Lynne Cheney
- Walnut Creek, California

Q. Hi. My name is Jai Newkirk and I live in Lakewood Ohio right on Lake Erie. About 10 years ago I bought this beautiful Tapan range. the top is stainless, and over the years I have noticed that the top has developed a ugly brown stain. we own a bar and grill in the downtown area and on the stainless back splash in the grill area we use a product called superior high shine stainless steel cleaner & polisher.Now that has made the stainless look all cloudy. I am truly at my wits end. Can anybody please help me?

Jai Newkirk
home owner - Lakewood, Ohio

I was just given a beautiful Thermador cooktop (Model SGT 36G) that had been stored in a humid basement. It has been discontinued and so I can't find info from the manufacturer, but I love it! It works great but it is kind of pitted a bit. I tried to clean with soapy water, but there are a few "bubbles" from where rust is coming through. What can I do?

Pat O'Brien
hobbyist - Califon, New Jersey

A. I've had a cleaning business for 9 years. The best you can do for the stainless is use the oven cleaner. Also to make it shine use WD-40 [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. I use it on all stainless. It's much cheaper that all the other stuff, and it doesn't take much. It doesn't smell good though. I always get me a towel, go outside and spray it, then come back and start wiping. Works like a charm.

Tracy McCall
cleaning - Six Mile, South Carolina

Q. I was cooking with a wok, had removed the burner to put the wok ring directly over the flame, and when I was done found, to my horror, that the cooktop was burned black where the ring had directed the flame close to the top of the stove. Cleaning instructions tell you not to use anything abrasive - how do I get this off? Any suggestions? Will the Easy Off work without ruining the finish?

Judy Blue
- St. Louis, Missouri

thumbsup2I have a Dacor stainless steel cooktop with brown cooking stains around each burner. I had tried many products before finding advice on the Internet. Then I used Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and it worked! It truly was "easy off". Amazing!

Joan Smith
- South Bend, Indiana

Q. Oh silly me was cleaning my stainless steel cook top but didn't realise I was using the wrong sin it bang spray, which I left over night, completely forgot to wipe it clean and now there all big black smears all over it, 'ruined' please if any one has a suggestion please let me know many thanks

karla bristow
home owner - england

thumbsup2Thank you!! Those brown marks on my St George oven cooktop, caused by my husband "trying" to help, have been driving me nuts! Now, they're gone, thanks to the recommendation on this site.

Katherine Bradley
- Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

A. I used to work for a maid service. We cleaned stainless appliances all the time. Best thing to use is lemon oil! The mild acid in it removes cloudiness and water spots and leaves it so shiny you can see your reflection in it! Also, it smells really good. So the procedure was if it is heavily soiled we'd use oven cleaner. Then we'd use a white cotton wash rag to apply about a table spoon of lemon oil and lightly scrub in circular motions. Then to polish and remove lint we'd go over it again with a microfiber cloth. This would get rid of any excess oil and polish it up really nice. Best results guaranteed!

Jack Mejoff
- Albuquerque, New Mexico usa

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search