Stainless steel cooktop stain removal

++

Q. I recently purchased a new Dacor stainless steel cooktop. I have some stains that came from simply having boiled some corn and the water in the pot bubbled over. The next morning, brown spots that don't come out with stainless cleaner or use of SoftScrub. How do I get the stains out and get my nice clean stainless look back?

Brigitta Strand
- Danville, California

S
I
M
I
L
A
R
L
Y

+++
I just purchased a Dacor cooktop and wondered if you have found any cleanser that works well.

Charles Licastri
- Holmdel, New Jersey

++++
Hey,

I also Have a Stainless steel cooktop with brown marks I can't get off. Anyone know of how to get rid of them without scratching the surface? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

Mac Karnecki
- South Africa

++++++
I am having the same problem with the brown spots on my Dacor cooktop. Anyone found a solution yet?

Komis Psaros
- Ormond Beach, Florida

++++++
Help, I have the same problem. Brown stains on a new Dacor cooktop that won't come out. Please give us an answer! Much appreciated.

Nancy Robert
- New York, New York

++++++

A. After trying at least 10 commercial cleaners of various types, my girlfriend's mother gave me the simple solution. Mama Dao said to use oven cleaner. I used Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaneramazoninfo and, after only 10-15 minutes, 99% of the spots came up with just the wipe of a damp sponge. The rest required a second application and some light scrubbing.

Mark Lonergan
- Lafayette, California

Dudes... the Hot Link to the Easy-Off goes to Amazon for a $66 16oz can. If you search Amazon for the same item it can be bought for $5.99. THIS IS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!

Chris Fox
- Acworth, Georgia USA

Hi, Chris. Thanks for the warning but, as unclear as the Amazon link may be, that price is actually for a 12-pack of 16-oz cans. In providing links we sometimes assume, often wrongly, that people will pick up one of an item at a local store, but may be interested in a mail-order price for a bulk shipment. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, Mark!

But readers: Consider this solution only if certain that you are working with stainless steel. Oven cleaner is a caustic material that will quickly dissolve and permanently ruin aluminum :-(

+++++++

The oven cleaner worked like a charm! (Although it took about 2 hours of stand-time...)

This has been bothering me since we got this cooktop about 2 years ago and the brown spots started to accumulate. I had scrubbed and scrubbed and thought that the stainless steel had actually discolored from the heat!

Thanks for the great tip!

Rhonda Hughes
- Pleasant Hill, California

+++++++

Hi My name is Jai Newkirk and I live in Lakewood Ohio right on Lake Erie. About 10 years ago I bought this beautiful Tapan range. the top is stainless, and over the years I have noticed that the top has developed a ugly brown stain. we own a bar and grill in the downtown area and on the stainless back splash in the grill area we use a product called superior high shine stainless steel cleaner & polisher.Now that has made the stainless look all cloudy. I am truly at my wits end. can anybody please help me?

Jai Newkirk
home owner - Lakewood, Ohio

+++++++

I followed the oven cleaner advice to clean our Dacor stainless cook top. It worked beautifully!

Lynn O'Neill
- Dallas, Texas

+++++++

We installed a Dacor cooktop about 9 months ago and the brown stains have been driving me crazy too. I am glad to see that some of you found a solution that sounds like it works. I will have to try it. THANKS!

Lynne Cheney
- Walnut Creek, California

I was just given a beautiful Thermador cooktop (Model SGT 36G) that had been stored in a humid basement. It has been discontinued and so I can't find info from the manufacturer, but I love it! It works great but it is kind of pitted a bit. I tried to clean with soapy water, but there are a few "bubbles" from where rust is coming through. What can I do?
Pat in Northern NJ

Pat O'Brien
hobbyist - Califon, New Jersey

I've had a cleaning business for 9 years. The best you can do for the stainless is use the oven cleaner. Also to make it shine use WD-40amazoninfo. I use it on all stainless. It's much cheaper that all the other stuff, and it doesn't take much. It doesn't smell good though. I always get me a towel, go outside and spray it, then come back and start wiping. Works like a charm.

Tracy McCall
cleaning - Six Mile, South Carolina

I was cooking with a wok, had removed the burner to put the wok ring directly over the flame, and when I was done found, to my horror, that the cooktop was burned black where the ring had directed the flame close to the top of the stove. Cleaning instructions tell you not to use anything abrasive - how do I get this off? Any suggestions? Will the Easy Off work without ruining the finish?

Judy Blue
- St. Louis, Missouri

I have a Dacor stainless steel cooktop with brown cooking stains around each burner. I had tried many products before finding advice on the Internet. Then I used Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaneramazoninfo and it worked! It truly was "easy off". Amazing!

Joan Smith
- South Bend, Indiana

Oh silly me was cleaning my stainless steel cook top but didn't realise I was using the wrong sin it bang spray, which I left over night, completely forgot to wipe it clean and now there all big black smears all over it, 'ruined' please if any one has a suggestion please let me know many thanks

karla bristow
home owner - england

Thank you!!! Those brown marks on my St George oven cooktop, caused by my husband "trying" to help, have been driving me nuts! Now, they're gone, thanks to the recommendation on this site.

Katherine Bradley
- Adelaide, South Australia, Australia