Need to build or buy a Hot-Dip Galvanizing Kettle

adv. pointer 

An ongoing discussion from 2002 through 2014 . . .

(2002)

Q. I would like to get access to a design manual (regardless of date) for the construction of a hot-dip galvanizing kettle. I would like to build a very small one (1 cu. ft.). I know it will be expensive. Please help.

Al Henderson
- Tallapoosa, Georgia

(2003)

Q. We have a hot dip galvanizing workshop but kettle is from ceramic for high temperature. We are going to establish a metal kettle of about 3,20 m long, 1,50 m deep and .80 m wide. If you received any information from somebody kindly share it with us or we can share our information too.

Mansour Mansouri
- Esfahan, Iran

(2004)

RFQ: Dear sir,

I really need info about: Where can I get the kettle of hot dip galvanize (size 1x2x7 meter) and the supplier of molten zinc?

Taufik H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Sukabumi, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
outdated RFQ

(2005)

RFQ: I need to find an used or ready to sell hot-dip galvanizing kettle at the dimensions of 2.5 m or more length, 1.0 m or more depth and 1.0 m or more length at useful dimensions. How can I find any?

Evren S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Pavlograd, Ukraine
outdated RFQ

(2005)

RFQ: I WANT TO BUILD A KETTLE 5m long 2m deep 1.5m wide. Who can make it and how much does it cost?

Ali Ak
- Istanbul, Turkey
outdated RFQ

Hot Dip Galvanizing

(2007)

RFQ: We represent a local engineering organization dealing in galvanizing of steel structures for use in power transmission and telecommunication sector since 1987 in Pakistan. The production of our plant is 1500 tonnes/month. We are interested in purchasing a galvanizing kettle of specifications 30'x 3'x 3.5' (deep). The natural gas is used as fuel. The operating temperature is about 460-465 °C. You are requested to provide your quotation for this kettle along with necessary accessories. Please also mention the expected life of the item. Your immediate response will be warmly welcomed.

M SHOAIB J [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Lahore, PAKISTAN
outdated RFQ

A. In response to your questions on building your kettle. I have built 6 kettles so I am sure I can help. Thanks.

Al Wise
- San Diego, California

----
Ed. note: Folks, this is a public forum; please feel free to publicly share whatever you are willing to. But we don't put readers into private contact for a bunch of reasons; and we can't ask our supporting advertisers to pay the costs of their competitors' advertising. Apologies.

thrashing

(2005)

Q. Is there a standard for chemical composition of a galvanizing kettle material? what is a typical chemical composition of steel used for manufacturing galvanizing kettle?

Erhan Ulvan
- Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

(2005)

A. In the United States it called Flange and Firebox quality steel. It basically is a very low carbon, very low silicon steel plate. Rods for welding it should also be low in C and Si.

Can we use a cast iron galvanizing pot?

(2006)

Q. We manufacture galvanized steel sheet (both plain & corrugated). Presently, our zinc melting pot is fabricated out of steel plates.But we don't get good life of melting pot, besides its cost. Can we use Cast iron melting pot? What would be other problems with CI melting pot?

P.R.Dhar
Galvanized Steel Sheet - Kolkata, WB, India

(2006)

A. Sir,
Cast iron is NOT a suitable material to make a galvanizing kettle. In the "old days" the common material was fire box steel. Some years ago "Max Ten" was specified which means the alloying agents in the steel would add up to no more than 0.10%. Today modern kettle makers know what can and cannot be used to make a galvanizing kettle. Certainly silicon, aluminum, and phosphorus contents in the steel must be VERY LOW. Also one MUST use the correct welding rod or else the welds will be "eaten up" by the zinc. In addition only the side walls can be heated (NEVER THE BOTTOM). Also the a horizontal stripe 6 inches high at the top of the walls and a horizontal stripe 12 inches at the bottom of the kettle are insulated and (NEVER HEATED). The maximum heat throughput through the walls is 10,000 BTU/sq.ft. on the heat zone of the side walls. My article about a year ago in Metal Finishing (the magazine) would help you. A proper kettle with a proper furnace can have a lifetime of 10 years or more even with high production. A kettle depth to width ratio (e.g. d/w) should be 2 or greater.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
- Hot Springs, South Dakota

(2006)

A. Use a special alloy or a ceramic bath.

Wilfred Sprang
WTN Air & Water Treatment BV - THE NETHERLANDS

Chemical composition of galvanizing kettle

(2007)

Q. Dear sir,
Please let me now the chemical composition of steel used in zinc kettle and also let me know if this composition varies for different size of zinc tank.
Since I am working for a galvanizing Company and we are starting a new plant for which I need the following detail.

Tanveer Ahmed
Plant In Charge - United Arab of Emirates

(2007)

A. Dear Sir:
About 35 years ago kettle makers used "max ten" which means that the kettle "steel" was nearly pure iron with the combined alloying agents adding up to less than 0.10%. Armco made "steel" (iron) of this type. Today I do not think this type steel is available. Another term that I have heard is "boiler plate steel."
Today there are two kettle makers that likely make most of the galvanizing kettles. One is in the USA and the other is in Germany. These kettles now usually have 2 inch thick walls (years ago they were 1 inch thick). The weld rod and welding methods are quite specialized. I recommend that you purchase rather than make a kettle. With a proper kettle and proper furnace, the kettle can last 10 or more years. A poor kettle and poor furnace can give a kettle life of only a few months.
In the journal Metal Finishing you can get my article on kettle furnace design though interlibrary loan (xerox copy) from most large libraries. This article details the most efficient system which is end-firing with high velocity burners. Galvanizing kettles and galvanizing kettle furnaces are NOT do-it-yourself projects.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
- Hot Springs, South Dakota

(2007)

A. The most critical element in the steel for kettles is Silicon.
This needs to be at or close to zero.
Silicon is used extensively in steelmaking to de-oxidize the steel while molten and in casting processes. (The slabs cast in concast plants are later rolled to plate.)

Alternative de-oxidants are available for this special grade of plate.
S and P are also important.

Geoff Crowley Geoff Crowley
galvanizing &
   powder coating shop
Glasgow, Scotland

Best steel and welding rod for galvanizing kettle construction?

October 26, 2008 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. What would be the ideal steel material (grade and specification)for galvanising bath tank. We would be very grateful if you can spare your precious moment for sharing your valuable knowledge.

Rudrash Aryal
Mechanical Engineer - Butwal, Lumbini, Nepal

A. SAE/AISI 1006.

Welding consumable must put down weld metal which has either (a) less than 0.05% silicon, or (b) between 0.11 and 0.25% silicon. It must not be between 0.05 and 0.11

Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

It is this website's profoundly sad
duty to relate the news that Bill
passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

A. Sir:
35 years ago there was a steel (iron product) that was called "max ten." This meant that with the exclusion of iron the other ingredients all added together totaled 0.10%. Thus the carbon, silicon, phosphorus, manganese, etc. all added together could not exceed 0.10%. Another terminology was "fire-box steel." Still another terminology was Armco Iron (or steel). The usual thickness of steel (iron) kettles is 2 inches in North America and welded with very specific welding rod. The welds are normally x-rayed to be sure that they are good. Making a galvanizing kettle is NOT a "do it yourself" job.
Columbiana Boiler in the USA and Pilling in Germany are major suppliers of hot dip galvanizing kettles. Through the heating zone on the sidewalls (excluding the top 6 inches and the bottom 9 to 12 inches which are insulated) it is allowed to transmit 10,000 Btu's/sq ft/hour with an expected kettle life of 10 years. High-velocity end-firing is the most efficient system with proper shielding near the burners. Looking from above the hot gases circle the kettle. The burners are on diagonal corners with initial firing along the long sides. The depth(numerator) to width(denominator) ratio should be about 1.5 to 2. E.G. considerably deeper than wide. I have published several articles in the journal METAL FINISHING which details these informations.
I strongly recommend that you purchase a commercially made kettle and contract a qualified kettle furnace installer.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
- Hot Springs, South Dakota

A. Sir:
A galvanizer told me recently that the proper welding rod is "FLEET 7." He also said that MIG equipment is better. The rod, or wire only has traces of silicon and phosphorus (also I think that low aluminum is important).

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
- Hot Springs, South Dakota

December 16, 2008 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I need the welding procedure Specification for Zinc pot, which will we use for the galvanizing of corrugated sheet.

TEFERA ENIYEW
- Adama, Ethiopia

June 14, 2009 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am msc student at Adama University in manufacturing engineering I have a question to know the material of Zn pot and how to prepare a welding specification.
Thank you!

Woldetinsay Gutu
- Adama, Ethiopia

A. The steel used for galvanising pots should conform to BS 2858 [link is to spec at TechStreet]. Also the higher the temperature of the zinc the more the dissolving effects.
There are new zinc alloys available and new methods of maintaining the alloying elements in solution. These factors together can greatly reduce zinc consumption.

Paul Markham
furnaces - Burntwood, Staffs, UK

RFQ: I am interested in building a Hot Dip Galvanize kettle or purchasing one -- can you help?

Gary L
[last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
threading - Brentwood, California, USA
outdated RFQ

RFQ: I am building a kettle. Mild steel lined with fire brick. Need advice and guidance. Happy to pay for consulting.

Chuck M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Tooele, Utah
outdated RFQ

Q. Looking to install a hot dip galvanizing line, have great potential customers but little know-how on the operation.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Patric M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- San Diego, California, USA

A. Sir:

Obtain and read the two books: Hot Dip Galvanizing by Heinz Bablik and "Handbook of Hot-Dip Galvanization" [link is to info about book at Amazon].

Visit galvanizing plants including San Diego Galvanizing and LA Galvanizing.

California is an environmentally tough state to have a galvanizing plant. Check the California Proposition 65 list to better understand the regulations, especially with regard to lead, nickel, and hex chrome.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
- Hot Springs, South Dakota

April 9, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Kindly suggest the specification for melting zinc for hot dip galvanising; we want to make a tank nearly 5.5 meters long and 0.50 meters depth, please suggest the width.
Can we use normal mild steel plates? Also please suggest the thickness of the plates used, welding rod grades. Can you guide us in the process for fabrication of such tank?
Please reply at your earliest.

Asit Pathak
- Indore, (M.P.), India

A. Hi Asit. Welcome! We appended your inquiry to a thread which answers some of your questions, but it's a tall order to ask for complete instructions for safely designing and fabricating a galvanizing tank. I don't think it's going to happen for free in a public forum.

Good luck, but if you don't have all the info you need quickly enough, please see the ads for galvanizing consultants at the top of the page.

A. You should not attempt to make a galvanizing tank yourself if you cannot answer these questions.

Your depth of 0.5 m seems far too small. What could you use such a tank for?

At length 5.5m, more typical dimensions would be 1.2 m wide and 2-4 m deep. Material will be very low Si steel, a special steel not readily available, and made especially for this purpose of galvanizing tanks. Typically its 50 mm thick. Special welding electrodes are required, and special techniques for welding.
There are 3-4 suppliers worldwide who supply long lasting kettles, but the furnace is equally important for long life.
You might expect 10 years or more from a well made kettle of the right material.
You might expect a few months from a home made one.

Geoff Crowley Geoff Crowley
galvanizing &
   powder coating shop
Glasgow, Scotland

A. Hi, Asit.

Its better to define first size of your materials which are going to be galvanize and required production per day or per shift.

Based on same you have to select the size of your Galvanizing kettle.

Ilesh G Vyas
Gunatit Builders

Manjalpur, Vadodara, Gujarat

MIG vs. TIG welding for galvanizing kettle? What stick or wire?

May 24, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi Everyone

For welding a Galvanizing pot, fabricated using a DSQ plate. Is it better to use MIG welding or TIG welding. And what is the recommended grade of stick or wire to be used?

Kanvar

Kanvar Bamrah
- New Delhi, India

A. Dear Friend
The Welding Electrode must be of same material as Plates. I recommend 45 S, D&H electrodes for DSQ steel.

Umesh Dalela
- Sana'a, Yemen

November 16, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I need help. I want to make galvanizing kettle. I need help how to make and how it is heated? Thanka.

Ruphert connock
- cebu philippines

A. Dear Ruphert Connok.

It's better to hire a consultant and supplier who can guide you how to start Galvanizing plant. It will be more advisable then doing it yourself.

Ilesh G Vyas
Gunatit Builders

Manjalpur, Vadodara, Gujarat

A. Not a good idea to build your own kettle for galvanizing if you have to ask how to do it.

If you want it to last any time, then buy one from a reputable supplier. There are several, even one not so far from you.

Home made might last 6 months. Bought one 10-14 years.

Geoff Crowley Geoff Crowley
galvanizing &
   powder coating shop
Glasgow, Scotland