No popups, no spam.
Folks helping folks with
respect.  You'll like it.
  HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsAdvertiseContactForum Letter 15194

The finishing.com Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Stainless Steel Hex Bolt Grading

++

I've acquired about 1000 lbs. of 1 1/8" diameter x 4" stainless steel hex bolts, nuts and flat washers. I'm familiar with standard steel bolt markings for grade 5 & grade 8. These bolts have an "S" in the center with 2 hash marks, one pointing to 12:00 and one pointing to 3:00. I would appreciate an explanation of these marks.

Herb Moore
- Middletown, Pennsylvania

++

Herb, you might take a look at MIL-HDBK-57B, "LISTING OF FASTENER MANUFACTURERS'IDENTIFICATION SYMBOLS". It is available at the ASSIST website, like all the other military specifications. With a quick glance, I don't see the symbol you described, but perhaps a closer inspection will find it.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

++

I found your answer at Viking Bolt while looking for my answer. It is an 18-8 "300" series LOW GRADE.

Tracy Ziola
- Shohola, Pennsylvania