How to prepare a chrome surface to paint over

I have a 6 inch deep chrome snare drum and I am interested in taking all of the hardware off of it and painting it with a "Spray Stone Finish" Interior-Exterior paint made by Plasti-Kote. I would like to know what would be the best method to prepare the chrome that will allow the paint to adhere to it. Should I rough it up and then prime it with something or is there a more effective way to go about it?

Daniel Paul DeFilipps
- Altamont, New York

It is generally considered exceptionally difficult to get paint to adhere to chrome. Considering the application, what with the vibrations, drops, whacking with drumsticks, etc.; I'd say you will not be able to paint over it. You need to have a plating shop strip the chrome off first.

I would say You are able to paint over chrome!
Normally, Chrome is a pretty thin film of mirror finish added on steel pieces for finishing/durability purposes.
Common primers need a well textured surface where them can found good adhesion. Shiny/chrome surfaces are not good for this purpose, because the paint do not find adhesion in them.

I recommend using a Silicone carbide sandpaper, with a fine/medium grit and sand well your piece. You can create a good surface to be primed and painted.

Good Luck!

Francisco Luna
- San Mateo, California

+++++++

HELP! Hello,...I have a chrome grill guard for my pick-up. It has a (painted) white grill and custom front bumper painted to match. I am wanting to paint the grill guard also to match.
My question would be,...How can I paint over the chrome, and keep the paint adhered to it, at least as well as can be expected? Can I get by with just using sandpaper [linked by editor to product info at Rockler], or is there some costly, painstaking process to go through?
Thanks in advance for the info?

P.S.B.

Perry Bennett
Hobbyist/Consumer - Richland, Texas. U.S.A.