The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

How to clean anodised aluminium

I wish to clean my anodised aluminium encased entry phone system shell. Please advise what I should use to get rid of dirt and grime.

Many thanks.

Mrs Barbara Baruah
- London, England, UK

You probably didn't write until you found a number of things that didn't work, huh? I can give you a couple more that won't work: two brands of special aluminum cleaner available at hardware stores. The surface of aluminum which has been anodized but not fully sealed looks very much like the surface of a sponge but at a smaller scale. Unlike the sponge, I haven't been to figure out how to wring the aluminum, and consequently it's almost uncleanable. Is there any chance this item could be redone by an anodizing shop? Ted Mooney