-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

The Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

Trumpet refinishing

I have a student trumpet my dad bought for me as a child, is there a way to get it refinished to a new look? He is 70 and I'd love to give it to him for his birthday.

I want to strip the existing finish on a trumpet and re-finish with silver or gold, maybe with a super high lacquer. I want the trumpet's dents and dings corrected. The mouth piece as well. How do I do this?

Mike Williams
- Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Yes, it would be possible to get a plating company to strip the old plating off and replate the trumpet. It may be expensive, but you really can't do something like that yourself. Open your local yellow pages and search around for local plating companies. You can also try the list of jobshops on this website. You will need to find a plater that does the right type of plating. If you call a plater that can't help you, they might be able to at least give you a referral to someone that can help.

Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan

It could certainly be professionally polished, and as an alternative it could be nickel plated. Just find a plating shop that offers their services to the public.

Ted Mooney   Teds signature

Thank your for your response.. I put the project on hold a while but now am into it again..

Michael Williams
- Ocean Springs, Mississippi

©1995-2015     -    Privacy    -    Search