How can I refinish my wrought iron railing

I have wrought iron porch railing that is painted white. The problem is that it has become rusty and I need to know how I can easily remove the rust and repaint it. What type of tools will I need to complete this project?

Hollie B . deleted
- American Fork, Utah

This is fairly simple if labor intensive.

1. Wash clean
2. Remove heavy rust with a wire brush
3. Lightly sand painted areas and sand rusty areas until clean metal is visible. Try to "feather" into the rusty areas so they will not show as a low spot in the paint. 5. Clean off any sanding residues.
4. Using a metal primer, spot prime the rusty areas.It may be necessary to build up thickness if some areas are noticeably lower than the surrounding paint.
5. Prime full area.
6. Paint with a suitable paint. Materials such as Rustoleum will help retard formation of new rust.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

I am planning on repainting some wrought iron railings in my dad's house what is the quickest way to do it. The old paint is chipping and there are some rust spots.

Lori Alesci
studio 82 - Walton hills, Ohio, us

----
Ed, note: please see letters 7543, 26857, 32772, and 33964 for additional discussions on this topic.

I was told to use an oil based primer before painting my outside wrought Iron railing, so I went to the store and picked up primer however when I completed priming the railings it was only then that I realized that I had been using an interior oil based primer. My question is, being that I live in the northeast , is that primer going to be ok once I paint over that?, or should I paint over with another coat of exterior primer over it before painting.

John McGinty
- Harrison, N.J., U. S.A

++++++

If you don't want to be doing this again in another year, have someone remove the rail to have it sand blasted and powder coated.

Scott Davis
- Spanish Fork, Utah

What is "powder coated"?

Jackie Ramey
- Portsmouth, Ohio

Hi, Jackie. Powder Coating is a way of applying a coating that is very similar to paint; but instead of using a solvent, the part is sprayed with plastic in the form of a fine powder, and then heated so the powder melts and forms a continuous film over the part.