Q. Open fire barbecue with galvanized mesh

Q. Please let me know whether there is any hazard in using galvanized mesh over the open fire for barbecue. Will the fume or any substance from the Galvanized mesh in direct contact with the food while burning, contaminate the food such as steak or fish?

David Wong
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

A. Hi, David. The following assumes that you are an individual building one grill for yourself. If you are a manufacturer, you would want to nickel plate or ceramic coat, not galvanize, the components.

Zinc is not a cumulatively toxic metal like cadmium, mercury, or lead; but are you sure it is actually zinc galvanizing, not a piece of cadmium plated scrap? When you use things for purposes for which they weren't intended, you may have the situation that you don't really know what they are. Further, there usually are no research studies of such things, so you are not going to get facts, only an educated guess -- but sometimes there will be a WHO or similar report if you search hard and if the practice is likely to be widespread in the 3rd world.

Most things are a matter of degree. It is not considered a good idea to eat food off of a zinc surface, and I'd be leery of it the first time something was cooked on it, but if it struck me as the practical way to build this thing, I'd probably get the fire good and hot, then wash the grill after this initial exposure to the heat, then go with it.

appended

Back Yard Barbecue

For years we have been using a "pig holder" made with galvanized steel poles, flat reinforcement bars, and chain link fabric on a homemade concrete block barbecue. The pig is butterflied and laid flat between two panels -- creating a sandwich that holds the pig in place and allows it to be flipped during the cooking process.

We have done this for years with no ill effects -- at least none that we know of. Now we hear that galvanized metal should NOT be used on cooking surfaces. Is there a way to burn off the coating before use? Could we grind off the coating from the flat support bars and use an aluminum or aluminum-coated steel chain link fabric for our mesh? (Only the chain link fabric and the support bars touch the meat, and only in a limited way.) Is there any other type of chain link or wire mesh material that would be more suitable? No axe to grind here -- we just don't want anyone getting sick at one of our parties.

Thanks for your help!

Glenn Lindgren
barbecue - Eagan, Minnesota, USA

+++++++

I have recently switched to hardwood in my B.B.Q instead of propane or charcoal.The problem is the ash and small pieces of wood fall through the bottom of my B.B.Q. Would I be able to use a galvanized steel mesh on the bottom of the B.B.Q to catch the embers ?
The steel would not come in contact with the food but I wonder if the heat from the flame would affect the finish and any chemicals would leech into the food anyway ?

Victor Foley
Consumer/handyman - Laval, Quebec, Canada

Hi, Glenn. We appended your inquiry to a very similar one which has already been answered. Yes, aluminum coated fencing would probably be preferable if readily available; but, if not, burning off the galvanizing would be sufficient for me.

Hi, Victor. I personally would not worry at all about such minimal use of zinc.

This is a Hobbyist type question. I do a lot of outdoor cooking and BBQing. I recently purchased a 4'X8' sheet of expanded metal to serve as a cooking grate. The metal came with a tag that warned of dust and vapor from welding, burning and cutting. I use only non-coated common steel pieces for cooking or BBQing. However, I noticed that the tag also warned of trace amounts of Lead and other heavy metals. I always wear particle and dust masks along with other PPE while burning, cutting, grinding or welding. Now I am interested in any harmful vapors or metals that can enter food while using these metal grates for cooking. BBQers are always instructed to season their equipment (and I do) for corrosion protection. Does this also help with any off gassing? Also. The temps that are used in the cooking process are well below melt points. Most Hobbyists cook between 225 F and 350 F.
Is there any harm from using any specific metals for these purposes? For instance, I use mild steel walk way grating as cooking grates. I also use common non-coated steel angle iron and expanded metal for the same purposes. Should I be worried? Any precautions?

Lendon Haggard
hobbyist - Trinity, Alabama

Hi, Lendon. If the supplier's lawyers or a government agency felt it was necessary label this metal and to warn you of the dangers of welding, burning, or cutting it, it just isn't reasonable to expect a third party -- who doesn't even know exactly what it is -- to assure you that, not only are the labels wrong, but it's okay to eat off of it :-)

Sorry, and Regards,

June 3, 2010 appended

I want to use a galvanized steel ring (36" diameter/ 8" height) as a fire pit ring and I am concerned about the toxicity of the galvanized metal when regularly introduced to the heat of a fire. is it safe to uses as a fire pit ring? If it is, is it still safe to use if the kids are cooking hot dogs and roasting marshmallows? Most of the time I love my kids - don't want to poison them? Not yet at least. Thanks.

Arthur szczokot
contractor - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi, Arthur. I've answered similar questions on this thread, and on dozens of similar threads. It's time for someone else to give their take on it :-)

Good luck and Regards,

Q. Hey, I have built a sausage smoker out of galvanized iron. I just wanted to know if I put an open fire in the smoker to burn of any toxic stuff. Is it then alright for me to use or should I just change the sheeting and be done with it?

Harry Foundas
- South Australia

I have wrapped the outside of my fire ring with light gauge aluminum. will it give off harmful vapors?

Jim Wilson
- Beaver Falls Pennsylvania USA