Cleaning White Gold... help please

i've got this ring which is white gold, that was cleaned by my brother who mistaked it for silver and tried cleaning it with toothpaste. now its got this kind of black tint to it, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to clean it and get the black tint off?

JJ Smith
- Portland, Or

Try a hydrogen peroxideamazoninfo & vinegar mixture. No long soaks please.

John Tuohy
- Ireland

To create white gold, yellow gold is alloyed with other metals, and therefore the gold will always keep the yellowish shade. To give it the "white" look it is dipped in a rhodium liquid chamber that covers it with a white rhodium coat.

To fix scratches and cover up dirt on white gold, often all that is needed is a re-dipping, a process of less than three minutes which can be done at most professional jewelers.

Jessica Shapp
marketing - Omaha, Nebraska

You've answered JJ's question well, Jessica; thank you.

But it is important for consumers to know that although white gold may have this slightly off-white tint (some describe it as grayish rather than yellowish), white gold is a very different thing than yellow gold. Because of the stark contrast when the rhodium wears thin in a spot, it is dead wrong for a jeweler to plate yellow gold with rhodium and call it white gold. We have dozens if not hundreds of letters on-line here revealing the heartache that shoddy practice causes.

Another thing that must be said is that the sale of a white gold ring should include this re-dipping "service" for 10 years. Without such a free service contract, the jeweler is constantly tempted to do exactly what you describe: apply a very thin coating of very low quality rhodium on his ware from a dirty teacup in the back room instead of doing the job right. When the costs of redoing the plating again and again whenever necessary is borne by the seller rather than the consumer, the economics will shift to where the jewelers will start plating the rings right the first time.

++++++

I have a white gold ring that I've been polishing with a silver cloth, is it safe to do so or should I be using a gold cloth? I also have a large brown/dark 'crack' to one side of the setting, is this possibly due to the Rhodium cracking or breaking up. It hasn't turned yellow yet but is scratched at the base, how can I make it shiny again?

Elizabeth Fisher
- Cheltenham, UK

++++++

They turned my ring yellow gold

To anyone who could help,

I just got engaged in February and just a couple weeks ago I noticed that the under part of my ring ( the side of my palm) was turning yellow. My jeweler told me that the rhodium plate needed to be put on the ring again. She said it could be a chemical reaction or because we had to get it sized a whole size smaller ( from a 7 1/2 to a 6 1/2) and the buffing caused the rhodium to wear. I just went back to the jewelry store today to pick up my ring, and the company accidentally took the entire rhodium coating off and now my ring is yellow gold looking all over. I was very upset and they are now sending it back to get the rhodium put on the entire ring again. How will this effect the look of my ring and is this going to happen all the time?

Chelsea Jones
consumer - Bluefield, West Virginia, USA

++++++

I need advice on how to bring back the bright white color to my white gold pendant that includes tanzanite and opal insets. The white gold is slightly yellowish in color and is definitely "different" from my white gold chain. I don't want to damage the tanzanite or opal when I try and clean the white gold. Thank you for your help.

Margaret Robinson
consumer - Columbia, South Carolina

++++++

Can you not clean white gold rings at home? I have 3 rings which cost me £15 each to clean every year.

Andrea Smith
personal - England

So I have a pair of cufflinks that are mother of pearl in the middle with the edges and an insignia in the middle being yellow gold...if dipped in Rhodium will that mess up the mother of pearl?

Daniel O.
- Charleston, SC, USA

A. I have found Vanish white works with my white gold rings, I discovered it while hand washing my clothes.

Caryn Veenstra
- Newcastle, U.K.