The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

How do I remove RUST from car before paint touch up

I picked up some paint from the dealer to touch up my car, but what it the best way to get the minor rust spots off FIRST? A certain type of sandpaper or a chemical cleaner or what? I know not to apply the new paint to a rusted area, so how do I first clean that? The rusted areas are about 1/2 the size of a pea in diameter. I need a method to clean/clear/remove the rust, but not the paint as its a few minor spots on the car door.

David [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Paducah, Kentucky

I did the same thing to my car a while ago, but had much larger patches of rust. If they are big and deep, you would need to use a grinder and grind it to bare metal. It sounds like that isn't the case for you, and I talked to some people when I did it and they recommended using sandpaper you can buy at a hardware or auto store. Make sure it is for use on metal, and start with a course grade to get it out, then get finer to touch it off (use about 3 grades). It may take a little work to sand them out, but it is work the effort. Just make sure you get down to bare metal, otherwise the rust will come back after you've repainted.

Mike K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Valparaiso, Indiana

If these are just tiny rock chips that have rusted at the bottom of the hole there are two ways to solve this problem.

1. Buy yourself a rust removing pen. This is just a pen sized tool that has fiberglass strands that extend out the end as you turn the barrel of the pen. Use the end of the strands (they are very stiff) to gently wisk away the rust. Use an artists brush and a little primer before using the final color. Eastwood sells these pens and you may be able to find one at your local auto supply store.

2. Find a supplier for a product that is very handy--called Rust Converter [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. This product converts rust to an oxide and it can then be painted. Just use a little on an artists brush--watch the rust turn jet black. Wait 24 hrs and prime/paint the bad spot.

Hope this helped.

Bill Miller
- Shinnston, West Virginia

Rust Converter

Rust Converter

I have an 1986 Chevy pick-up and there are rust spots on it that are about as big as a baseball. These are surface rust spots and are not rusted through. How do you fix them?

Joshua D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Hartville, Missouri

(2007)

My Explorer is fairly old but she's been great to me over the years and as a struggling college student buying a new car isn't feasible right now. I need to know what type of sandpaper to buy, do I need a 'machine'/tool to use with the sandpaper or can it be down by hand, and what type of primer to use after I've sanded all the rust off? Most of the rust is located under my rear doors. I hope the info I've provided is enough and thanks in advance for EVERYONE'S help and advise.

Kim G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Allston, Massachusetts

(2007)

My son purchased (cheap) an old Ford pickup with pretty bad rust (holes with rust outlining them). Can he repair these himself?

Mike G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
consumer - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

(2007)

Yes you can fix rust holes yourself if you have the right tools. First cut out the rust hole with a cutting tool attachment for a grinder. Then weld new pieces of metal inside the hole you cut. The new pieces should be just smaller than the holes. Grind the welding lines down until they are flush with the original car and the new metal pieces - and your done.

Seth Holland
engineer - Memphis, Tennessee

March 30, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

HI TO ALL,

I JUST BOUGHT A 1989 WINNEBAGO LE SHARO WITH SOME RUST PROBLEMS AROUND THE WINDSHIELD AND FENDER , SINCE I LIVE IN SO. CALIFORNIA , I BELIEVE THAT IT WON'T GET MUCH WORSE, BUT ARE THERE ANY PRODUCTS I CAN APPLY TO KEEP THINGS UNDER CONTROL AND KEEP MY LITTLE BEAUTY LOOKING GOOD INTO HER OLD AGE? DAGNY G.

DAGNY GARNER
BUYER - FALBROOK, California

August 12, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

I'm looking for Neutra Rust, a product made years ago by the N.Y. Bronze Co.

It "converted rust to hard metal." Do you know if it, or anything like it, is available?

Justin Stone
homeowner - Boonton, New Jersey, USA