HOME / sitemapFAQsBOOKSHelp WantedsAdvertiseContact   you are here: Hotline/Forum => Letter 12873a

Removing Silica Water Stains

Readers: Were you looking for Removal of Silica from Water instead? Then please see letter 12873.

I have read with interest the post on removing silica from raw water (letter 12873). I work for the Water Corporation in Karratha, 1500 km north of Perth in Western Australia.

One of towns, Broome (you may have heard of Cable Beach!), supplies water from a groundwater source 12 km north of the main town centre. The water is high in silica (90 mg/L) and leaves silica stains (for want of a better word) on shower screens, car windows, car bodies, etc.

Is there a product available that removes the silica. I would assume some form of acid. We have tried "Alu-Clean" but you still need to scrub rather hard and it doesn't remove it all. I am interested in a product that would be safe to use by anyone.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew Bowman
- Karratha, Western Australia

+++++++

I am a Water Treatment Systems dealer in Hawaii,which has high silica content in the water. Though we have solved the hard water stains with water softening, customers still have a problem removing the SILICA stains from their glass shower doors, stainless steel sinks, glasses, bowls, etc.

Is there a safe product that people can use to remove these types of silica stains in their home?

Would really appreciate anyone's help or suggestions to solve this problem.

Aloha!

Michael Gold
water treatment systems - Pearl City, Hawaii

+++++++

Michael, I have been fighting this problem for 17 years. I would love to know what you find out.

Patrick J Ahern
- Portland, Oregon

The only product out there that removes silica rings is AMAZE. You must work very hard but it will remove most of it. Then you use Aquapelamazoninfo or a similar water repellent treatment--I use one for auto glass. Every week you use dishwashing or any other soap and reply the repellent when it wears down.

lois cole
- salem Oregon

A-maz Glass Cleaner /
Water Stain Remover

Great thread - I have been researching silica removal since it's high (60 mg/L) in my well water. In answer to the question about removing silica deposits from surfaces, I haven't found any chemical product that will remove it. One method that works for me is physically scraping the deposits (with a knife blade for example).

Dave Carr
- Napa, California

Can you tell me the manufacture name of AMAZE and/or where to purchase it? I need to try this. Thanks

Roberta Sciandri
- Napa, California

----
Ed. note: We think Lois slightly misspelled it, Roberta. Please see the Amazon link next to her posting.

SODIUM HYDROXIDE(LYE) DISSOLVES SILICA.
I CLEAN MY ARTIFACTS THAT ARE COVERED WITH SANDSTONE IN A SOLUTION OF: 1 TBL SPOON SODIUM HYDROXIDE(LYE) and 2 CUPS WATER.
I UP THE RATIO PER GALLON OR BY DIFFICULTIES IN THE PIECE.
20X FASTER THEN WATER ALONE.SOAK TIMES VARY FROM A DAY TO A WEEK OR HOW STRONG YOU MIX.USE CAUTION AS IT BURNS!
MOST HARDWARE STORES OR EBAY.
REGARDS
ILL.JONES

ILLINOIS JONES
- VIENNA, ILLINOIS

Pure Lye

I am in the food and beverage chemical business. Silicates are a real problem in our industry. The only product that will remove silicates stains is HYDROFLUORIC ACID. I would not suggest anyone using this chemical for it releases poison gas and could very easily cause respiratory issues. However I have seen the removal, through cold cleaning, of silicates from hard surfaces like stainless steel. The process is performed using dry ice, through a pressurized gun and the process was like sand blasting but with dry ice. It cleaned the silicates off the surfaces and left nothing but water on the floor. There are companies that do this and I believe it is call cold cleaning. It really works very well on hard surfaces like process equipment etc. I have witnessed it in one of my customers facilities.

Robert Catroneo Sr
- Melbourne, Florida

My family was in the car body shop business along with the auto detail business.

There is a product we buy in case quantities called Bio-Clean water and stain remover. It's manufactured in California USA and works surprisingly well to remove silica stains on glass.

Paul Mason
- Minden Nevada USA

Q. Dear sir
I work in chemical product company. We have water tank but silica scales were deposited on inside surfaces of the tanks. Scales weren't removed with concentrated of sodium hydroxide solution. How can we remove this scale?

Shima Esmailnejad
- Tehran, Iran

Bio-Clean Water Stain Remover