Antique green patina recipe for brass?

I am trying to get an antique green color patina on brass using a recipe that simply calls for
1 gallon water
8 oz. nickel ammonium sulphate
8 oz. sodium thiosulphate
"simmered" at 160 degrees until desired color is obtained. I used a hotplate, a pyrex container, and a thermometer; everything seems in order.

I got an icky brownish-black patina. I started with cleaned (sanded and pumiced) brass. Any thoughts or better recipe suggestions?

Amy L deleted
jewelry - Brooklyn, New York

I'd like to know how to do this, too!

Kerry F deleted
- Fort Knox, Kentucky

I just found a patina but have not tried it out. I think it should work since I know ammonia was a main ingredient of a green patina used in my high school metals class.

2 parts white vinegar
1.5 parts non-detergent ammonia
.5 parts non-iodized salt

Becky K deleted
- Vonore, Tennessee

Sir,

I need a technique to make polished Brass to Old Green Brass finish. And also any method to make finish to last?

Gurmeet S deleted
hardware and metal exports - Noida, UP, India

Hi-
Has anyone gotten the green result?
if so....was it the technique w/the ammonia....or another way....

Jerry M deleted
- Iowa City, Iowa

For a green patina on brass or bronze use a mixture of cupric nitrate (1 teaspoon to 8 oz of distilled water). Heat up the brass with a torch until water just boils off of it and spray or dab on the mixture with a natural bristle brush.

Dan R deleted
- Los Angeles, California

+++++++

I tried Cat Litter (non clumping)amazoninfo and white vinegar, enough to wet the litter through.....this was with copper and it turned a beautiful greenish blue.

Eva Hill
- Franklin, Tennessee

I'm trying to achieve various browns using the fume/vapor patina method. Are there any other patineers using this technique out there?

José Ventura
I'm a patineer - Koelenhof, Western Cape, South Africa

Go to: www.ssschemical.com for pre-made patina solutions and chemicals to make your own.

You can get a pretty good green-blue on brass or copper with: copper sulfate, ammonium chloride (or plain clear liquid ammonia) and distilled water. Adjusting the amount of copper sulfate will adjust the amount of blue you get.
Am. Chlor. will impart a yellow green, while ammonia will give more of a blue.

Victoria LaCosse
- Sanford, Michigan

Jax Green Patina

Hello everybody!
I make it myself from 7 different compounds, but may you watch the video. It works great, the only thing is that you may use ONLY A VERY LITTLE AMOUNT of the cream... You don't have to buy it, if you write me a letter I can send you the ingredients... I'm selling the product on eBay. It makes a greenish-brownish patina, color depends on the alloy. Hope it helps. Again this is not suppose to be an ad, I can give you the formula for free, I've been experimenting for 3 months on this one and it works for sure.
Best,
David

David Winkler
- Ritzing, Burgenland, AUSTRIA