Sand blasting standards: Swedish SA 1, SA 2, SA 2.5, SA 3 vs. NACE and Ra

Q. I need to know the technical details about the following- Surface preparation - Cast Iron part (gratings, used for cooking ranges); the surface needs to be prepared by sand blasting as per Swedish Standard, SA 2.5 or better as per Swedish Standard, SA 3. If it is possible then please inform about the surface finish value (Ra, Rmax) which can be achieved by the above mentioned process.

Please respond as early as possible.

Best Regards,

Souren Pal
steel company - Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
simultaneous

Q. Dear Mr. Souren Pal,

I am also interested in the relationship between the SA standards SA 1, 2 2.5 and 3 and Ra. An interesting answer on your question which may be of help to me?

Best Regards,

Laure Spriensma - Jirnsum, The Netherlands

Q. I WOULD LIKE TO INQUIRE INFORMATION REGARDING SAND BLASTING PROCEDURES, EQUIPMENTS AND MATERIAL, AS DESCRIBED IN SWEDISH STANDARD SA1, 2, 2.5, 3? YOUR COOPERATION ON THIS MATTER WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

FADI MUSALLAM - ABU DHABI, UAE

A. Mr. Souren Paul , Laure Spriensma, Mr. FADI MUSALLAM,

Surface preparation standards are stipulated by various bodies throughout the world to designate the cleanliness condition of blasted steel, prior to applying a protective coating. The applicable cleanliness standard is usually called for by either the protective coating manufacturer or the owner of the structure to be painted. The most commonly referred to standards are SSPC, NACE, and Swedish Standards. Each standard is divided into four standards of cleanliness, broadly described as follows; brush off, commercial, near white metal, white metal. Whilst each standard may differ slightly in requirements and terminology the following cross reference chart indicates the close approximation of each level of cleanliness for each standard.

A brief description of each of the four levels of cleanliness is as follows:

• Brush Off - Loose mill scale, loose rust and foreign particles are removed.
  • Commercial - Mill scale, rust and foreign particles are substantially removed and grey metal is visible.
  • Near White Metal - Mill scale, rust and foreign particles are removed to the extent that only traces remain in the form of spots or stripes. The cleaned surface will show varying shades of grey.
  • White Metal - Visible mill scale, rust and foreign particles are entirely removed. The cleaned surface should have a uniform metallic colour but may show varying shades of grey when viewed at different angles.

I hope the above info is useful to you. We are setting up a shipyard and are installing a plate preparation shop.

Bijit Sarkar
shipbuilding - Calcutta, WB, India

Esentials of Surface Preparation

Surface Preparation ISO 8504-2:2000

sidebar
+++++++

Q. May I know the surface profile difference between SA 2.5 and SA 3 in microns?

Shahaji Doltade - UAE

A. Dear Mr. Shahaji Doltade
We know that sa 2.5 & sa3 are cleanliness levels not Roughness levels.

Sohail-Hashmi - Karachi,Pakistan

Q. Dear sir,
I want to know about measuring instrument for surface finish SA 2.5. I also want to know about from which size of grit we can achieve surface finish SA 2.5.

Your sincerely

PRASHANT KUMAR GUPTA - student - ROHINI, DELHI, INDIA

A. Hi, Prashant. The above discussions lead me to believe that Sa2.5 is not a "surface finish" but a visual standard for cleanliness and is not related specifically to grit size and surface roughness standards like Ra / Rz, and it cannot be measured with a profilometer. Do you have a copy of ISO 8501-1 handy, with its description of Sa2.5? Thanks.

Q. Thanks for the information that SA 2.5 is not measurable in Ra, but we have seen specifications, such as in containers manufacturing that surface finish to SA 2.5 to achieve 25 to 30 micron finish. Is it correct!

S P S DHINGRA
- Kolkata, India

A. Hi, S P S. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable about this will answer, because I don't see how you can measure things that are covered by Sa 2.5, like discoloration, visible oil, and greyness with a profilometer. Nor can I see how you can reasonably expect a given surface profile from performing operations that comply with a blast cleaning specification that is unconcerned about surface profile, and which apparently permits the use of any blasting material of any size for any amount of time.

However, you can certainly specify both requirements, just as you can specify that you want to buy a car of red color with 5 seats. The color red neither includes nor precludes the car having 5 seats.

A. I hope this will clear your queries on Blasting and surface preparation..

BLAST CLEANING - PREPARATION GUIDES
grade - BS 7079 SS 05 59 00
description, when viewed with the naked eye

SA 2
thorough blast cleaning:Commercial finish 65% clean
The surface shall be free from visible oil, dirt and grease, from poorly adhering mill scale, rust, paint coatings and foreign matter. Any residual contamination should be firmly adhering.

SA 2.5
very thorough blast cleaning: Near white metal 85% clean
The surface shall be free from visible oil, dirt and grease, from poorly adhering mill scale, rust, paint coatings and foreign matter. The metal has a greyish colour. Any traces of contamination shall be visible only as slight stains in the form of spots or stripes.

SA 3
blast cleaning to pure metal: White metal 100% clean
The surface shall be free from visible oil, dirt and grease, from poorly adhering mill scale, rust, paint coatings and foreign matter. The blasted surface must have a uniform metallic colour.

BLASTING GRADES

Following is a table giving a clear indication of the comparative blasting grades applicable to national and international standards:

BLASTING GRADE COMMON STANDARDS COMPARISON
SSPC steel structures painting council
BS 7079 British standards
SS 05 59 00 Swedish standards
BS 4232
NACE, National Association of Corrosion Engineers

white metal (SP5) SA 3
1st quality
grade 1

near white metal (SP10) SA 2.5
2nd quality
grade 2

commercial finish (SP6) SA 2
3rd quality
grade 3

RUST GRADES
A Surface mostly covered with adherent mill scale, with little or no rust
B Mill scale has begun to flake, rust has started to form
C Mill scale has rusted away or can be scraped off easily and slight pitting has taken place
D Mill scale has rusted away and general pitting can be seen with naked eye
Sanjay Mungee
- Baroda, Gujarat, India
  ^-- this reader rates this thread: winner

Q. Dear sir
We want photographs of standard blasting profiles like Sa 2, Sa 2.5, Sa, 3 etc.

KIRIT D. PARMAR - coatings - Vadodara, Gujarat, India

Q. I want sand blasting profile books for SA2 and 2 1/2 with complete pictures. Please let me know where can I find this.
Thanking you in advance.

Shivaraju Ramarao - contractor - Vizag, AP, India

A. Hi Kirit; hi Shivaraju.
HMG Paints Ltd. offers a free 24-page PDF with pictures of these surfaces at:
http://www.hmgpaint.com/knowledge-base/pdf/KNB0026.pdf

But I think you'll want to try to get a look at ISO-8501-1, which is a hardcover 74-page book, and the actual official reference.

Q. I want to know what the term "Sa" in blasting standards actually stands for.
My boss always asks me and I cannot answer. Help me please...

Ahmad Sanusi
Painting Executive - Johor, Malaysia

A. SA stands for Standard Abrasive ... Similarly ST means Standard Tooling

Rahul T.
- Mumbai, India

A. Sa Simply stands for Sand as that is the abrasive medium that they used to determine the blasting standards on the 4 Rust Grades for ISO 8501-1 [link is to spec at TechStreet].

Remember Sand was the most widely used abrasive back in the days before the health risks of silicosis were identified.

Alternatively St stands for Steel sorry its nothing more technical, but that's it guys, and the reason I know is that I asked SIS years ago when I first started Inspection to settle an ongoing debate between myself and a colleague.

The relationship between the standards Sa3 and 2.5 is practically identical except that a 2.5 allows for staining or traces of contamination i.e. Very thorough blast cleaning. When viewed without magnification, the surface shall be free from visible oil, grease and dirt, and from mill scale, rust, paint coatings and foreign matter. Any remaining traces of contamination shall show only as slight stains in the form of spots or stripes.

And Sa3 does not have any visual contamination present it is a white metal finish.

For a more definitive view at amounts of contamination which are allowed visually to be included in a blast please take a look at the joint Nace SSPC blasting standards which are equivalents, however not identical to the ISO 8501-1 standards. These standards give a better representation of the actual amounts of contamination which should be present.

Nace 1, SP5, Sa 3 = 0%
Nace 2, SP10, Sa2.5 = 5% Staining
Nace 3, SP6, Sa2 = 33% Staining
Nace 4, SP10, Sa1 = 100% as long as its tightly adherent

Lee Wilson Nace Level 3 Coating Inspector, Nace CIP Instructor & Lecturer, Icorr Level 3 Painting Inspector
inspection services - United Kingdom

thumbsup2Thanks a lot everyone. It was really helpful.

Priya Suryakant
- Bangalore,Karnataka, India

Dear Sir,

I want to know about the detail of SA 2.5 about blasting for steel equipment.

K.Shanthi

Shanthi K
project engineer - Chennai,Tamil Nadu, India

A. Hi, Shanthi. The general meaning of Sa 2.5 is explained above.

My understanding is that the full details are covered by specification SS 55900, available from the Swedish Standards Institute at www.sis.se -- but that this standard was actually canceled in 2001 and is now superseded by ISO 8501-1 [link is to spec at TechStreet].

ISO 8501-1:1988

A. The blasting standards as depicted in ISO8501-1 are visual standards for surface cleanliness

Once a substrate is abrasive blasted the blast achieved is then compared to the visual reference pictures which are contained within ISO8501-1 and a comparison made between the blasting standard achieved and the standard required.

When you speak of Ra you are speaking of surface profile, roughness or anchor pattern which is the peak to trough amplitude of the blast profile usually expressed and specified in microns and created during the blasting process this is usually measured with surface replica tape, surface comparators or surface profile needle gauges however surface profile is not an indication of the surface cleanliness do not get confused surface profile and surface cleanliness as depicted in ISO8501-1 are separate requirements.

I hope that this helps

Best Regards

inspection services - United Kingdom

Q. I would like reference/guidance for the relation between cleanliness standard with steel structural condition/type. Example: SA-2.5 is applicable for a structure on what conditions? Or what grade is suitable with what condition of structure?

Yuhanas Yuhanas
structure engineer - Jakarta, Indonesia

A. Sa.2.5 is expected for existing structure, while Sa.2 is for new installation.

Joseph Okoye
- Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria

Q. Sir
Can we use silica sand in following Sa 2.5 & Sa 3? If not, which kind of sand do we use?

Rana Akbar
employee - Rahim Yar Khan, Pakistan

Q. Which term to follow regarding surface preparation of storage tanks, whether surface cleanliness or surface profile or both because both seems two different requirement of surface preparation for applying coating on metal surface.

A. Aziz
- Karachi, Pakistan

A. It seems there is a whole book to be written on the blasting standard requirements, the differences between the required grades and surface profiles.
In short, our company approach the problem as follows:
The client needs to decide (or be advised depending on the application) what type of coating will be applied to the steel, this will decide the required blasting grade as specified by the coatings manufacturer (the norm seems to be SA2.5).The coatings manufacturer will also specify the required DFT (Dry Film Thickness) of the required coating to be applied.The DFT requirement is what needs to be looked at when one decides the roughness of a surface profile in microns.

Hans vd Linde
- Alberton, Gauteng, South Africa

Q. Please advise me how to inspect sand blasting for steel structures like I beam, channel, plate.
1. What the pressure should I maintain to get the fine surface preparation.
2. What microns should be there after sand blasting.

Mohamed Jaseem
quality control - Saudi Arabia

Q. I have a similar question to the one asked on October 26. For us we are being asked to prepare metal surfaces by Sandblasting to a Sp-10 level finish. What does that entail and how do we inspect for this?

Carlos Mdeleted
manufacturing - Stockton, California

Hi Carlos. Some people spend their entire careers helping people answer that question, so I can't pretend that it's easy. But if you have a copy of SP-10, please try your best to phrase your questions in terms of what information you feel is lacking in that specification. If you don't have a copy of SP-10 in your possession yet, well, you probably shouldn't proceed until you do :-)

Luck and Regards,

December 31, 2011appended

Q. Is it possible to achieve surface roughness 6.3 Ra from initial surface roughness 12.5 Ra by grit blasting with SA1 or SA1-1/2? Material forged steel.

Abdullah Ansari
wind energy - Pune, Maharashtra, India

A. Are you sure you are talking Ra? I don't think you can achieve those results using any blasting media.

AF Kenton
Nova Finishing Sytems Inc. - Hatboro, Pennsylvania

Q. For example: machined surface roughness Ra 12, can we blast it to SA 2.1/2 and achieve surface roughness 6.3 Ra?

Abdullah Ansari
wind energy - Pune, Maharashtra, India

A. Hi, Abdulah. I think AF (Tony) told you "no". To the best of my knowledge, blasting is for cleaning (removing surface contaminants), and I have personally never heard of anyone attempting to polish an article by blasting, so I think he's right.

Q. What is the size and specification of SA2.5 iron grit?

Ashok Kumar
- India

A. Dear Mr. Ashok Kumar, Sa 2.5 is a surface cleanliness level. So how can know grit size?
Sohail Hashmi

Sohail-Hashmi
- karachi, Pakistan

Q. 1.What is the max.percentage of humidity to conduct sand blasting of steel structures?

2.How to measure the profiles SA2,SA2.5 & SA3 at site?

Please help me by answering these questions<

B V Ganeswara Rao
- Vishakhapatnam,AP,INDIA

What is the specification grade for normal surface cleaning by hand before painting?

Subramanyan V A
- Calicut,Kerala, India

Q. How can we convert Sa 2.5 to millimeters?

sunilantonyt
- thrissur, kerala, india

Patron: "Waiter, my strawberries & cream have mud in them! Did you wash them?"

Waiter: "No problem sir, we can re-slice the berries smaller if the chunks are too large for your taste".

A. Hi cousin Sunilantonyt --

Please start at the top of this page and read it slowly and patiently to understand that Sa 2.5 is a visual standard for cleanliness, like the patron is talking about. It is not a measurement of surface profile like the waiter is talking about -- and no conversion between the two is possible. Good luck.

Q. Could you tell the difference between rust grades A and B blasted to Sa3?

Almer G.
- philippines

Q. What is the meaning of "Degrease" according to SSPC SP1, and Profile 75, Profile 75µm

Javeed Akhlaque
- Pakistan

Q. I want clear Visual Photo or Reference of Sa 1 to Sa 3 value after Shot Blasting on HR Sheet (thickness 8-10 mm).

ARIJIT DAS
- Jamshedpur, Jharkhand

A. Hi Arijit. Please carefully read the page. I already answered that question on October 21, 2012: "HMG Paints Ltd. offers a free 24-page PDF with pictures of these surfaces at: http://www.hmgpaint.com/knowledge-base/pdf/KNB0026.pdf". Good luck.

Q. Sir,
What surface profile is for Sa 2.5 sand blasting?

BOBY MATHEW
- AbuDhabi, UAE

A. Hi Boby. Perhaps we continue to misunderstand each other's words and phrases, but many people have tried to make it clear that Sa 2.5 is a visual standard for cleanliness and it has nothing to do with surface profiles, which are measures of roughness not cleanliness.

Q. As per customer, requirement is sa2.5 -- but we did sa3. Is there any problem?

thiruppathi manikandan
oil field services - hidd, manama,bahrain

A. Hi Thiruppathi. I'm not an expert in this subject, but I can't imagine how it could be a problem. It sounds to me like you've simply removed any doubt that the surface is clean enough to comply with Sa2.5. Good luck.

Q. BOOK OR STANDARD SUPPLIER FOR VIEWING THE PICTORIAL VIEWS
OF SURFACE FINISH OF STEEL AFTER GRIT BLASTING AS PER
IS:9954. A PICTORIAL REPRESENTATION AS PER IS 9954 for
CONFIRMING THE THE FINISH OF SURFACE PREPARATION OF SA 2.5

THE SUPPLIER IN INDIA, PlEASE GIVE THE NAME

SHRIRAM P AGGARWAL
Manufacturer of LPG Cylinders - DELHI INDIA

A. Hi Shriram. This is available for Rs 130 either from Jain Book Agency at www.jainbookagency.com/newdetails.aspx?id=110891 or direct from the Bureau of Indian Standards at www.bis.org.in/sf/powork.asp

Q. Dear sirs,

What is the full form of Sa In Swedish Blasting standard?
My answer was degree of cleanliness in an interview. But interviewer was not satisfied with my answer. The interviewer was From United States in SADARA project at Jubail in Saudi Arabia. So please send answer as soon as you can.

birendra Kumar Kathbaniya
- Dammam, Saudi Arabia

A. Hi Birendra. Some have said Sa stands for "standard abrasive", others say it stands for "sand". I say it doesn't matter and you can't translate abbreviations from one language to another anyway :-)

But perhaps the interviewer's problem with your answer is that "degree of cleanliness" may not have quite conveyed the nature of ISO-8501-1 and the ratings like Sa 1, Sa 2, Sa 2.5 and Sa 3 that are associated with it. I think the main point, which is made several times in this thread, is that it is a standard which includes 24 photographs and is a guide for "Visual assessment of surface cleanliness". Please download the short free booklet from HMG Paints that was previously mentioned and I think you will understand it thoroughly. Good luck.