The finishing.com Hotline -- Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing

Gold electroplating at home

I AM INTERESTED IN GOLD ELECTROPLATING. I HAVE WORKED IN VARIOUS ELECTROPLATING COMPANIES, THE PROBLEM IS
1 IT HAS TO BE DONE IN A GARAGE
2 CHEMICAL REGULATIONS HOW AND IF IT COULD BE ALLOWED
3 WHERE TO OBTAIN SMALL AMOUNTS OF CHEMICALS COST EFFECTIVE
4 EQUIPMENT AGAIN COST EFFECTIVE
5 THE ITEMS I WISH TO PLATE ARE SMALL BATHROOM FURNITURE

Any information regarding supplies, regulations, would be gratefully received.

Andrew Bradley
- Colne, Lancashire, England

Hell Bradley,

It sounds to me that you might look into a Brush Electroplating set up. Brush plating uses hand held electrodes so plating tanks and the related equipment are not required. Brush plating systems are portable and can easily be set up in a small shop or garage. The solution is used at room temperature so ventilation requirements, while required, especially if the system is to be used in a garage, is simplified to the use of a fan. The amount of chemicals needed is also greatly reduced. Because there are no tanks, solution volumes can be reduced to 200-1,000 milliliters.

Chris Helwig
- Valencia, California

Please let me know if you got fixed up, because I am looking for similar info for a home plating project (non commercial).

Cobus Thesnaar