Cleaning an old copper kettle

+

Q. I bought a very crusty copper apple butter kettle that needs some help. Right now there isn't a single hint of copper color or that nice patina showing through. And no, I don't want it to be shiny copper - just to get it to not look solid black! How can I get some of its 90 years of dirt off?

Arlene Elliott
- A2, Michigan

++++

A. The best way to clean a copper kettle is to use vinegar and salt with a sponge or rag.

Rickdeleted
- Herrin, Illinois

++++

A. Vinegar and salt are likely the least expensive way. To get our copper kettle ready for apple butter making, I first scour the inside with a Brillo/SOS pad and rinse well. Then I use hot vinegar and salt or baking sodaamazoninfo. However, one year we discovered that the kettle we thought was clean when we started our apple butter making, suddenly became sparkling on the inside when we heated the cider! So HOT CIDER really cleans it up, but that ruins the cider. Since we cook with ours, I don't worry with the black on the outside.

Linda Shoemaker
- New Providence, Pennsylvania

+++++++

Q. I just shipped 2 large copper kettles (used for apple butter). These will go in my kids houses for storing firewood. I want to keep the natural copper finish and not lacquer them. How can I clean them up, they look pretty sad. thanks

Don Drew
hobbyist - California

+++++++

A. I have a really good cheap recipe for cleaning brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, etc.: 1/2 Cup ketchup, 2-3 TBS white vinegar, 1-2 TBS salt; let work 30-45 minutes, rinse off with water. Another for rubbing on or to soak small items is 1-2 Cup vinegar and 4-5 TBS salt; let soak until clean then rinse with water.

Q. Now you need a good sealer which I have yet to find. Suggestions are welcome, prefer something like the easy cleaner,and similar price range. Thanks,

Byron L Milburn
retired hobbyist - Kingman, Kansas

+++++++

A. Make a paste of juice of one lemon, 30 gm (3 TBSP) of plain flour, 25 g (1 TBSP) fine salt. Apply with soft flexible brush or soft cloth. Leave to soak for a few minutes. Rinse with clean water, then buff to shine with usual copper cleaning product. ( or fresh sorrel leaves and the green leaves of leeks make copper and pewter gleam.
Copper will keep its shine for longer if you finish polishing with a ball of newspaper.
Gleaned from Secrets of good Housekeeping.
Or my favorite. Use a tin of baked beans smothered over all your copper wear, after a minute or two it will have brought it back to new. I have tried this many times by accident when some spilled on the pot as I was pouring beans out.
Also, keep your lemon halves to rub over the copper at washing up time. Applying a few times and rinsing will with patience remove all tarnishing.

Elwood Amey
- London, England, UK

+++++++

Q. I have a apple butter kettle that got to hot when they last used it and now it is burned a little on the inside. Does anyone know how to clean that up so you can use it again?

Nina Nordwald
hobbyist - Warrenton, Missouri

Q. I have a copper apple butter kettle that belonged to my Great-Great grandmother. My great-aunt had it and painted the outside black and some dripped around the inside edges. Any suggestions on getting the black paint removed? Also, I have tried Vinegar, Salt and Ketchup methods of cleaning. It made a big difference but, it still has a more of a gold shine rather than the copper I was expecting. Is this normal?

Mark Earls
- Priest River, Idaho

Q. We have been making apple butter for several years now. Before putting the kettle on the fire, we painted the outside with a solution of "ZUD" and water. After the apple butter is "flavored" "jarred" and sealed, we turn a hose on the kettle and we have a beautiful copper kettle. Question: where can we find Zud, or what is equal to it w/o damage to the kettle? Thanks.

Bob Stanley
- Elizabeth, West Virginia

----
Ed. note: Here's a source =>

Zud Cleanser

A. If your kettle is super dirty and your gonna make apple butter in it is after you peel the apples take rinds and put in kettle with vinegar and start a fire under until it comes to a boil. Make sure to take stir and push rinds up high on sides. Dump rinds and take SOS pad and clean up. Make sure you wipe dry, or it will tarnish. Any liquid left will make spotty. I own about 10 kettles. Some were pretty bad and used this method to get them clean as a new penny

Mike day
- Frederick, Maryland

Q. I recently purchased a vintage copper fire extinguisher which I was planning to convert into a copper kettle, however after opening the cap, I noticed that the inside has a thick coat of zinc or tin alloy that possibly contains lead. I took a torch to it, and melted away the thick areas, but I think for the complete removal of the coating, I'll need to use some sort of chemical method, that will leave the copper intact.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Joe

Joseph Redl
- Anaheim, California USA

A. Hi Joe. To each their own, but a safety rule that I personally believe in is not using anything for food service that wasn't intended for food service.

First, we often don't know for sure what it is. Lead, mercury, cadmium in the coating? Even if you get it all off are you positive that the copper wasn't leaded for machinability? And that it similarly is free of selenium, tellurium, or beryllium alloying? I don't know enough about fire extinguishers to know if there are further possible toxicities.

Second, no researcher or epidemiologist anywhere is tracking this stuff, correlating possible illnesses to the use of fire extinguishers as kettles, so we have no data to go on and are producing no data for the next person to go on.

Sorry, too risky for me, but diluted hydrochloric (muriatic) acid will quickly dissolve zinc without much effect on copper. Good luck.

Q. Does anyone have or has seen a large apple butter copper kettle signed by William Heyser, Chambersburg, PA?

I believe this kettle was made by Jacob Heyser, brother of William Heyser II, and sold by William Heyser (nephew to William Heyser II and son of Jacob) around 1835.

William Heyser is well known for copper tea kettles.

Thanks, EJ

E J McNicholas
- Clearwater, Florida, USA