List of anionic, cationic and non-ionic surfactants

Q. Could you give me a list of anionic, cationic and non-ionic surfactants. The chemical names as well as the Analysis method if possible.

Mrs. Anjali Koparkar
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

++++++

Q. Dear :
I am PhD student in Germany and I am working on using a kinds of surfactants as inhibitor in detergent industries.
therefore I would like to get your help to have a list of surfactant.
thanks
yours,

Samer Darwich
- Germany

++++++

A. Anjali Koparkar, here is the list of surfactants:

Polysorbates (Tween™)
Sodium dodecyl sulfate (sodium lauryl sulfate)
Lauryl dimethyl amine oxide
Cetyltrimethylammonium bromide (CTAB)
Polyethoxylated alcohols
Polyoxyethylene sorbitan
Octoxynol (Triton X100™)
N, N - dimethyldodecylamine-N-oxide
Hexadecyltrimethylammonium bromide (HTAB)
Polyoxyl 10 lauryl ether
Brij 721™
Bile salts (sodium deoxycholate, sodium cholate)
Polyoxyl castor oil (Cremophor™)
Nonylphenol ethoxylate (Tergitol™)
Cyclodextrins
Lecithin
Methylbenzethonium chloride (Hyamine™)

RC REDDY
- HYDERABAD, INDIA

A. LIST OF SURFACTANTS

ANIONIC TYPES
1. CARBOXYLATES 2. SULPHONATES 3. PETROLEUM SULPHONATES 3.ALKYLBENZENESULPHONATES 4. NAPHTHALENESULPHONATES 5. OLEFIN SULPHONATES 6. ALKYL SULPHATES 7. SULPHATES 8. SULPHATED NATURAL OILS & FATS.9. SULPHATED ESTERS 10. SULPHATED ALKANOLAMIDES 11. ALKYLPHENOLS, ETHOXYLATED & SULPHATED.

NONIONIC TYPE
1. ETHOXYLATED ALIPHATIC ALCOHOL 2.POLYOXYETHYLENE SURFACTANTS 3.CARBOXYLIC ESTERS 4. POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL ESTERS 5. ANHYDROSORBITOL ESTER & IT'S ETHOXYLATED DERIVATIVES 6. GLYCOL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS 7. CARBOXYLIC AMIDES 8. MONOALKANOLAMINE CONDENSATES 9. POLYOXYETHYLENE FATTY ACID AMIDES.

CATIONIC TYPE
1. QUATERNARY AMMONIUM SALTS 2. AMINES WITH AMIDE LINKAGES 3. POLYOXYETHYLENE ALKYL & ALICYCLIC AMINES 4.N,N,N',N' TETRAKIS SUBSTITUTED ETHYLENEDIAMINES 5. 2- ALKYL 1- HYDROXETHYL 2-IMIDAZOLINES.

AMPHOTERIC TYPE
AMPHOTERIC SURFACTANTS CONTAINS BOTH AN ACIDIC & A BASIC
HYDROPHILIC MOIETY IN THEIR SURFACE e.g.,
1. N -COCO 3-AMINOPROPIONIC ACID/ SODIUM SALT
2. N-TALLOW 3 -IMINODIPROPIONATE, DISODIUM SALT
3. N-CARBOXYMETHYL N DIMETHYL N-9 OCTADECENYL AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE.
4.N-COCOAMIDETHYL N HYDROXYETHYLGLYCINE, SODIUM SALT
etc.

DR. K.K.SAHA
- KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA

Q. Dear sir

I am a research scholar in chemistry. I am working on surfactant. So please tell me the micellisation point of different surfactant. Specially which have micellisation point at higher temperature.

Nizam Haq
Student - India

Q. I attend UTB/TSC and am currently working on a Surfactant Paper. I have to pick one of the current surfactants on the market and write an article about it, the agent has to related to neonatal. Thank you, Nancy

Nancy Chong
student - Brownsville, Texas

Q. Hi sir
I am research scholar in chemistry and I am working on Surfactants so could you give the information about Gelatin as surfactant, and please give the list of anionic, cationic, and non ionic surfactants..please

Ranganath kamath
visitor - shimoga,karnataka, India

sidebar

Hi, Ranganath. Two writers have generously supplied lists of surfactants. Please try to clarify in what way those lists of surfactants are deficient for your needs. Thanks.

Q. I was wondering if anybody has experience with surfactants in living systems. I need a cationic surfactant with demonstrated very low toxicity. Any ideas?

David

David Morse
Researcher - Houston, Texas

Q. Good Evening,
I'm a postgraduate student and I'm doing project work on niosomes so tell me the list of surfactants and cosurfactants used in it.

purnima negi
- Delhi, India

Q. hello sir,

I'm a research scholar of Biotechnology, I'm working on serratia marcescens biosurfactants. can you tell me how purify the serrawettin from serratia marcescens?

Panneer Selvam
Student - Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

I am a B.Pharm student of University Of Asia Pacific, Bangladesh. I want to know about the justification of cationic surfactants...If you give me this answer, it will be better for me....thank u...

Manasi Modak Tukli
- Bangladesh

Q. Can anyone suggest a cationic surfactant other than CTAB used for dispersion of single walled carbon nanotubes

Anindya Majumder
- Dresden, Saxony, Germany

Q. Sir,
I thought of preparing carbon foam in my lab..for that Tween™ 80 is the suggested surfactant, its an non ionic type, can you please tell me the difference of using ionic and non ionic surfactant.

ss divya
student - India

Q. I'm a master's student. I'm doing work on viscometric study of surfactants under different temperatures but the problem is that being a pakistani student I have to buy the chemicals from my pocket money which is very difficult for me. so please kindly suggest me some cheap cationic surfactants. I'll be very thankful to you.

janat hasan
chemist - faisalabad, pakistan

Q. I am a Chemical Engineering student at UMass Lowell, and I'm working on a Nanotechnology research team. I can't fully divulge what exactly I'm working on, but I need help with choosing surfactants, as I can't seem to get the right one. I need one that has a pH in water of 7 exactly, as we need to eliminate hydroxide and hydronium buildup. Thank you for your consideration.

Michael Demboske
- Lowell, Massachusetts, United States

Q. Dear sir,

I would like to ask you sir about silicon emulsions, which are used in several applications, Eg. textiles, rubber industries and plastic industries; my question is what anionic surfactant to be used in oil in water as a emulsifier agent

Kusuma Ashok Kumar
experimenting with silicon emulsions - Hyderabad, India

Q. Dear ...

I have just started my project about three types of surfactants which are SDS, Alkylphenol and HDTMA; and I need a huge information about behaviors, determination and source of them.

Thanks a lot in advance

DaNa

Dana M.
Student - Plymouth, UK

Q. Can you please give me phase inversion temperature values of some recently marketed emulsions?

Ranjith Jntuh
project trainee - Hyderabad, Andhrapradesh, India

Q. Dear folks,
Can you tell me about substituting Triton X 100 (nonionic) with SDS (anionic) for extraction plasmids/DNA from bacterial cells -- as generally surfactants are used to get cellular coverings lysed. Could the nature of surfactant effect my experiment.

Muhammad Rashid
- Islamabad, Pakistan

Q. I am a research scholar and I need the name of some/all types of surfactants.

shalini Cha
- india

Hi, Shalini. Two such lists are offered near the top of the page. Please try to phrase your question in terms of the answers already given, or explain why they are not the answer to your question. Thanks!

Q. Sir, I'm a research scholar of chemistry; could you please tell me the substitute of sodium dodecyl sulphate or sodium lauryl sulphate.

varsha singh
- indore, Madhya Pradesh, India

Q. Can you please tell me under which category Synperonic acid surfactant will fall?

Raghu Mamindla
- Sheffield, UK

Q. Dear sir, I am doing my m.phil physics in periyar university salem. I have a doubt: how can I identify the category of surfactants?

priyadharsini
- salem, tamilnadu, India

Q. I am a research scholar in chemistry. I am working on surfactant. So please tell me the micellisation point of N-Octyl amine surfactant.

Niraja Kedia
- Purulia, West Bengal, India

----
Ed. note: This thread received two generous answers early-on. But since then, we've posted 20 questions in a row, with no one taking the time to offer even the slimmest hint to the people waiting in line before them. Surely, if you know enough to be able to compose a question here, you also know enough to be able to at least give a hint or two on one of those 20 questions first.

Folks, if you want forums where you can find free help, the only way it can possibly work is if you give a little first :-) =>

Q. Dear sir,
I am a master research student in chemistry. Currently I'm working on a project of nano-emulsion water emulsified diesel-biodiesel (palm methyl ester) in diesel engine application. The characteristics of desired novel surfactant is from plant base such as palm oil, which means it does no harm to the environment but yet it is able to form water in oil emulsion and in nano size and also easy to combust. In order to get those characteristics I have tried fatty alcohol ethoxylate. Raw material that rich in oxygen group can enhance the combustion efficiency process; besides biodiesel contains a water addition in the system. This emulsification method based on low energy by using titration method. However in most of my findings in reading materials, they are using blending emulsification methods such as high homogenizer pressure which means use of high energy. For this moment, I'm still in screening process to figure out the best non-ionic surfactant that is able to form water in oil emulsion in nano size. Would you kindly give me some suggestion and a list of non-ionic surfactants that can help me to figure out the solution? I thank you in advance for your attention and co-operation.

Atiqah Ishak
Postgraduate student - Malaysia

Q. Hi Drs., Hope you will be happy and good. I want to know that I am doing work with ZnO and getting different morphologies for gas sensing using hydrothermal method. I want to know which surfactant can be good that I can use getting better results? And suggest some methods to prepare it also, thanks. I'm doing Ph.D in material Science in China.

Hussain Shahid
- china

Q. Sir, we have read so many research papers for determination of surfactant through dye in visible range. But, is it possible to determine presence of surfactant (SdS and CTAB) through U-V range? because we wish to work on this method.

Manisha Agrawal
Teaching - Bhilai,India

Q. Dear Sir
I am trying develop a formulation with hydrated silica solution and essential oil in a liquid form. Can any expert help me to suggest with some suitable emulsifier to get a homogeneous and stable emulsion.

Swapan Ghosh
- bangalore, India , Karnataaka

----
Ed. note: okay, make that 24 people in a row :-(

Sir. I am into production of compact detergent powders and liquid. I request you to suggest me an eco-friendly surfactant which I can add as active matter.

sudarshan srinivasan
soaps and detergents - chennai , tamilnadu, india

thumbsup2Hi sudarshan. There are 24 people waiting in line ahead of you, and the line hasn't advanced an inch since 2008. Unless you choose to turn it around by helping someone else first, I think you'll be waiting quite a long time for help -- but good luck. :-)

----
Ed. note: Readers! With 25 people waiting for help and no one taking the time to offer any, it is a waste of time to post additional questions. Please try to answer one of the questions in the queue first. It's time to stop being silly, so we're not posting any more questions until we post some answers.