No popups, no spam.
Folks helping folks with
respect.  You'll like it.
  HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsAdvertiseContactForum Letter 11853

The finishing.com Hotline: Serious Education ... plus the most fun you can have in metal finishing. Ted Mooney, Webmaster

List of anionic, cationic and non-ionic surfactants

Q. Could you give me a list of anionic, cationic and non-ionic surfactants. The chemical names as well as the Analysis method if possible.

Mrs. Anjali Koparkar
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

(2006)

Q. Dear :
I am PhD student in Germany and I am working on using a kinds of surfactants as inhibitor in detergent industries.
therefore I would like to get your help to have a list of surfactant.
thanks
yours,

Samer Darwich
- Germany

(2006)

A. Anjali Koparkar, here is the list of surfactants:

Polysorbates (Tween™)
Sodium dodecyl sulfate (sodium lauryl sulfate)
Lauryl dimethyl amine oxide
Cetyltrimethylammonium bromide (CTAB)
Polyethoxylated alcohols
Polyoxyethylene sorbitan
Octoxynol (Triton X100™)
N, N - dimethyldodecylamine-N-oxide
Hexadecyltrimethylammonium bromide (HTAB)
Polyoxyl 10 lauryl ether
Brij 721™
Bile salts (sodium deoxycholate, sodium cholate)
Polyoxyl castor oil (Cremophor™)
Nonylphenol ethoxylate (Tergitol™)
Cyclodextrins
Lecithin
Methylbenzethonium chloride (Hyamine™)

RC REDDY
- HYDERABAD, INDIA

A. LIST OF SURFACTANTS

ANIONIC TYPES
1. CARBOXYLATES 2. SULPHONATES 3. PETROLEUM SULPHONATES 3.ALKYLBENZENESULPHONATES 4. NAPHTHALENESULPHONATES 5. OLEFIN SULPHONATES 6. ALKYL SULPHATES 7. SULPHATES 8. SULPHATED NATURAL OILS & FATS.9. SULPHATED ESTERS 10. SULPHATED ALKANOLAMIDES 11. ALKYLPHENOLS, ETHOXYLATED & SULPHATED.

NONIONIC TYPE
1. ETHOXYLATED ALIPHATIC ALCOHOL 2.POLYOXYETHYLENE SURFACTANTS 3.CARBOXYLIC ESTERS 4. POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL ESTERS 5. ANHYDROSORBITOL ESTER & IT'S ETHOXYLATED DERIVATIVES 6. GLYCOL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS 7. CARBOXYLIC AMIDES 8. MONOALKANOLAMINE CONDENSATES 9. POLYOXYETHYLENE FATTY ACID AMIDES.

CATIONIC TYPE
1. QUATERNARY AMMONIUM SALTS 2. AMINES WITH AMIDE LINKAGES 3. POLYOXYETHYLENE ALKYL & ALICYCLIC AMINES 4.N,N,N',N' TETRAKIS SUBSTITUTED ETHYLENEDIAMINES 5. 2- ALKYL 1- HYDROXETHYL 2-IMIDAZOLINES.

AMPHOTERIC TYPE
AMPHOTERIC SURFACTANTS CONTAINS BOTH AN ACIDIC & A BASIC
HYDROPHILIC MOIETY IN THEIR SURFACE e.g.,
1. N -COCO 3-AMINOPROPIONIC ACID/ SODIUM SALT
2. N-TALLOW 3 -IMINODIPROPIONATE, DISODIUM SALT
3. N-CARBOXYMETHYL N DIMETHYL N-9 OCTADECENYL AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE.
4.N-COCOAMIDETHYL N HYDROXYETHYLGLYCINE, SODIUM SALT
etc.

DR. K.K.SAHA
- KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA

Q. Dear sir

I am a research scholar in chemistry. I am working on surfactant. So please tell me the micellisation point of different surfactant. Specially which have micellisation point at higher temperature.

Nizam Haq
Student - India

Q. I attend UTB/TSC and am currently working on a Surfactant Paper. I have to pick one of the current surfactants on the market and write an article about it, the agent has to related to neonatal. Thank you, Nancy

Nancy Chong
student - Brownsville, Texas

Q. Hi sir
I am research scholar in chemistry and I am working on Surfactants so could you give the information about Gelatin as surfactant, and please give the list of anionic, cationic, and non ionic surfactants, please.

Ranganath kamath
visitor - shimoga,karnataka, India

sidebar2 February 24, 2009

Hi, Ranganath. Two writers have generously supplied lists of surfactants. Please try to clarify in what way those lists of surfactants are deficient for your needs. Thanks!

Q. I was wondering if anybody has experience with surfactants in living systems. I need a cationic surfactant with demonstrated very low toxicity. Any ideas?

David

David Morse
Researcher - Houston, Texas

Q. Good Evening,
I'm a postgraduate student and I'm doing project work on niosomes so tell me the list of surfactants and cosurfactants used in it.

purnima negi
- Delhi, India

Q. hello sir,

I'm a research scholar of Biotechnology, I'm working on serratia marcescens biosurfactants. can you tell me how purify the serrawettin from serratia marcescens?

Panneer Selvam
Student - Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

I am a B.Pharm student of University Of Asia Pacific, Bangladesh. I want to know about the justification of cationic surfactants...If you give me this answer, it will be better for me. Thank you.

Manasi Modak Tukli
- Bangladesh

Q. Can anyone suggest a cationic surfactant other than CTAB used for dispersion of single walled carbon nanotubes

Anindya Majumder
- Dresden, Saxony, Germany

Q. Sir,
I thought of preparing carbon foam in my lab. For that Tween™ 80 is the suggested surfactant, its an non ionic type, can you please tell me the difference of using ionic and non ionic surfactant?

ss divya
student - India

Q. I'm a master's student. I'm doing work on viscometric study of surfactants under different temperatures but the problem is that being a pakistani student I have to buy the chemicals from my pocket money which is very difficult for me. So please kindly suggest me some cheap cationic surfactants. I'll be very thankful to you.

janat hasan
chemist - faisalabad, pakistan

Q. I am a Chemical Engineering student at UMass Lowell, and I'm working on a Nanotechnology research team. I can't fully divulge what exactly I'm working on, but I need help with choosing surfactants, as I can't seem to get the right one. I need one that has a pH in water of 7 exactly, as we need to eliminate hydroxide and hydronium buildup. Thank you for your consideration.

Michael Demboske
- Lowell, Massachusetts, United States

Q. Dear sir,

I would like to ask you sir about silicon emulsions, which are used in several applications, e.g., textiles, rubber industries and plastic industries. My question is what anionic surfactant to be used in oil in water as a emulsifier agent?

Kusuma Ashok Kumar
experimenting with silicon emulsions - Hyderabad, India

Q. Dear ...

I have just started my project about three types of surfactants which are SDS, Alkylphenol and HDTMA; and I need a huge information about behaviors, determination and source of them.

Thanks a lot in advance

DaNa

Dana M.
Student - Plymouth, UK

Q. Can you please give me phase inversion temperature values of some recently marketed emulsions?

Ranjith Jntuh
project trainee - Hyderabad, Andhrapradesh, India

Q. Dear folks,
Can you tell me about substituting Triton X 100 (nonionic) with SDS (anionic) for extraction plasmids/DNA from bacterial cells -- as generally surfactants are used to get cellular coverings lysed. Could the nature of surfactant effect my experiment.

Muhammad Rashid
- Islamabad, Pakistan

Q. I am a research scholar and I need the name of some/all types of surfactants.

shalini Cha
- india

sidebar2 March 29, 2012

Hi, Shalini. Two such lists are offered near the top of the page. Please try to phrase your question in terms of the answers already given, or explain why they are not the answer to your question. Thanks!

Q. Sir, I'm a research scholar of chemistry; could you please tell me the substitute of sodium dodecyl sulphate or sodium lauryl sulphate.

varsha singh
- indore, Madhya Pradesh, India

Q. Can you please tell me under which category Synperonic acid surfactant will fall?

Raghu Mamindla
- Sheffield, UK

Q. Dear sir, I am doing my m.phil physics in periyar university salem. I have a doubt: how can I identify the category of surfactants?

priyadharsini
- salem, tamilnadu, India

Q. I am a research scholar in chemistry. I am working on surfactant. So please tell me the micellisation point of N-Octyl amine surfactant.

Niraja Kedia
- Purulia, West Bengal, India

Ed. note: This thread received two generous answers early-on. But since then, we've posted 20 questions in a row, with no one taking the time to offer even the slimmest hint to all the people waiting in line before them. Surely, if you know enough to be able to compose a question here, you also know enough to be able to at least give a hint or two on one of those 20 questions first.

Folks, if you want forums where you can find free help, the only way it can possibly work is if you give a little first :-) =>

Q. Dear sir,
I am a master research student in chemistry. Currently I'm working on a project of nano-emulsion water emulsified diesel-biodiesel (palm methyl ester) in diesel engine application. The characteristics of desired novel surfactant is from plant base such as palm oil, which means it does no harm to the environment but yet it is able to form water in oil emulsion and in nano size and also easy to combust. In order to get those characteristics I have tried fatty alcohol ethoxylate. Raw material that rich in oxygen group can enhance the combustion efficiency process; besides biodiesel contains a water addition in the system. This emulsification method based on low energy by using titration method. However in most of my findings in reading materials, they are using blending emulsification methods such as high homogenizer pressure which means use of high energy. For this moment, I'm still in screening process to figure out the best non-ionic surfactant that is able to form water in oil emulsion in nano size. Would you kindly give me some suggestion and a list of non-ionic surfactants that can help me to figure out the solution? I thank you in advance for your attention and co-operation.

Atiqah Ishak
Postgraduate student - Malaysia

Q. Hi Drs., Hope you will be happy and good. I want to know that I am doing work with ZnO and getting different morphologies for gas sensing using hydrothermal method. I want to know which surfactant can be good that I can use getting better results? And suggest some methods to prepare it also, thanks. I'm doing Ph.D in material Science in China.

Hussain Shahid
- china

Q. Sir, we have read so many research papers for determination of surfactant through dye in visible range. But, is it possible to determine presence of surfactant (SdS and CTAB) through U-V range? because we wish to work on this method.

Manisha Agrawal
Teaching - Bhilai,India

Q. Dear Sir
I am trying develop a formulation with hydrated silica solution and essential oil in a liquid form. Can any expert help me to suggest with some suitable emulsifier to get a homogeneous and stable emulsion.

Swapan Ghosh
- bangalore, India , Karnataaka

----
Ed. note: okay, make that 24 people in a row :-(

Q. Sir. I am into production of compact detergent powders and liquid. I request you to suggest me an eco-friendly surfactant which I can add as active matter.

sudarshan srinivasan
soaps and detergents - chennai , tamilnadu, india

thumbsup2Hi sudarshan. There are 24 people waiting in line ahead of you, and the line hasn't advanced an inch since 2008. Unless you choose to turn it around by helping someone else first, I think you'll be waiting quite a long time for help -- but good luck. :-)

----
Ed. note: Readers! With 25 people waiting for help and no one taking the time to offer any at all, it is a waste of everyone's time to post additional questions. Please try to answer one of the questions in the queue first. It's time to stop being silly, so we're not posting any more questions until we post some answers.

A. As I have gone through above question, you all are mostly looking for Nonionic Surfactant; I will suggest as per my work on same research (NONYLPHENOXYPOLYETHOXYETHANOL) NONIONIC SURFACTANT
This is the best one to use for the same and it is biodegradable

Murtaza Sherwani
- Abu Dhabi, UAE

----
Ed. note: Thank you, Murtaza!

Q. Is there a chemical test to check if the emulsifier is anionic or non ionic?
Shahed

Shahid aziz
- Karachi, Sindhi, pakistan

Q. I am working on using a kind of nonionic surfactants as antifoam.
Therefore I would like to get your help to have a list of nonionic surfactant as defoamer.

nayere mousavi
- tehran, Iran

A. It is my understanding that some low HLB non-ionic surfactants behave as antifoams because they are partially insoluble - in other words the solution/suspension is above the cloud point of the surfactant. This is a dangerous road to travel in metal finishing. Been there, done that.

tom_rochester
Tom Rochester
Plating Systems & Technologies, Inc.  

Jackson, Michigan, USA

Q. Sir, I want to replace sodiumoleate with different non ionic surfactants , please suggest me some surfactants for replacement (I am a researcher at GCU Lahore in M.Phill)

syed ali adnan
- lahore, pakistan

A. Hi Syed,

You may try polyglycol.

David

David Shiu

Q. If am working on polymers; which surfactants are suitable for functionalisation?

Fatima Tariq
Fatima Jinnah Women University - Rawalpindi,Punjab,Pakistan

Q. I am working on foaming agents and would like to know if Alkoxylated Phosphate Ester is cationic or anionic?

Paritosh Dhiman
UAF - Fairbanks, Alaska, Fairbanks

Q. Sir I'm Ph.D student and want the surfactant with their miceller size. Can you help me by providing that one?

atul soni
- palampur,himachalpradesh,india

Q. Hi sir
Can you please tell any cationic surfactant to overcome staining problem in washing of 100% nylon fabric printed with acid dye. I shall be thankful to you.

fatima gardezi
national textile university faisalabad - multan punjab pakistan

thumbsup2Folks: Yet again this particular thread is devolving into an exercise in selfishness instead of a lesson in the value of sharing :-(

With dozens of unanswered questions, it is a surety that the people posing questions here could answer at least one if they bothered. There is no joy or practicality in an endless list of unanswered questions, with new people just pushing their way to the head of the line. This thread is closed to new questions seeing as we have 30 unanswered ones.

A. Ted:
I know enough about surfactants to know that any and all of them would be good enough for a lot of general cleaning conditions.

I don't know enough about surfactants to say how the cleaning properties are affected by the large number of variations that can be found in the physical structure of surfactant molecules across the industry. I suspect that is largely true for everyone who isn't a chemical engineer at a surfactant manufacturer.

I would suggest to folks here with questions on surfactants to actually go directly to the surfactant manufacturers. The product literature on their websites usually gives at least a vague sense of how their different products are expected to behave, and you can always contact them directly, describe your problem, and ask which product they recommend.

sidebar2 January 2016

thumbsup2Thanks Ray. You are one of the "givers" who has helped hundreds of posters with their questions -- and I thank you once again for your help on this thread. Most of the threads on this site work well because of you and the site's other regular helpers.

But there are a few people who have posted dozens of times over the years, been helped dozens of times, are professionals in the business, and yet have never taken a single moment to try to help anyone else :-( ...
... and every once in a while we get a thread where dozens of posters don't try to help anyone else. Then we remind folks that this is not some sort of free consulting service, but a place of camaraderie & mutual assistance. And if that note goes repeatedly unheeded, and the list of unanswered questions still grows relentlessly anyway, it's just time to close the thread and stop being silly :-)

Good day Ted.

Kudos to you!
You seemingly have the patience of JOB, with your courtesy and professionalism offering camaraderie and information. I enjoy your forum, as it offers OPINIONS from other industrialists regarding queries.
After researching, I post queries.
I think some of the masses do not understand this concept. The archived letters are a valuable source of info, but again, only opinions.
You are a very valuable source of information, if only others would strive for themselves it could vastly expand.

Eric Bogner, Lab. Tech
Aerotek Mfg. Ltd. - Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Hi Eric. I've learned a lot from your postings, as have many readers!
I appreciate your kind assessment of my efforts, but my "patience" is simply that I have the world's best job, and don't want to blow it by losing the readership ... plus, as webmaster I have the luxury of being able to rewrite hasty words after I've slept on it :-)

! Wow, just wow. I stumbled across this while looking for some info on a cosmetic emulsifier and (though not really relevant to my search) kept reading with a kind of fascinated horror at the number of people who ask for the world, with no word of thanks or acknowledgement of how much they are asking. You guys/mods here are polite, I would have sent some of these folks packing and closed the thread.

I know there are probably some language issues here (not as un-PC/scary for me to say as my folks are both non-native English speakers), but really, don't post if you can't manage civility.

B. Bose
- Los Angeles, California

thumbsup2Hi B. This is a fairly large public forum with 50,000 threads and, all in all, the readers show amazing generosity in sharing their knowledge. I'm sorry that you had to find your way here through one of the few doors into the site where that generosity is much less evident, and where your reaction is very reasonable :-(

thumbsup2I would like to let you know that I had found this thread looking for understanding of amphoteric surfactants. I have a biologically based science background, but my chemistry understanding is "ancient". I am fascinated by and quite grateful for the questions and think that unanswered questions are actually the mechanism for extending learning. So thank you very much for widening my horizons! I personally could not answer any of the questions, but feel much enlightened by reading your thread.

Additionally, I found this article to be very helpful in my inquiry
www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2003/July/amphiphiles.asp

Adele Main
interested elder - Canberra ACT Australia

ADD an ANSWER to this thread

View This Week's HOT TOPICS